Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
'Still with Me' by Thierry Cohen is a book that has had a profound impact upon me. It has left me questioning decisions that I have made, and wondering about decisions that I will make in the future. Jeremy takes his own life on his twentieth birthday. His love for Victoria is unrequited, his life is going nowhere, he has no desire to live. He blocks the thought of his parents from his mind - refuses to think about them, and how this act will affect them. He can't see past his own pain. He just wants to end it.
If you have read 'For One More Day' and 'The Five People You meet in Heaven' by Mitch Albom, and enjoyed them, then this book will strike a chord with you. It is deep, extremely moving, and ultimately, life-affirming. This book inspired a national discussion about suicide in France, and the author wrote it after his best friend took his own life. It is beautiful, heart breaking, and will provoke much discussion I am sure. very highly recommended.
on 9 March 2013
Thoroughly dull and unengaging.
Unbelievable premise, nothing to draw you in.
Storyline is interesting from the blurb but I tried and tried and just could not get into it.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Initially, after reading the synopsis of this book , I thought I was in for a good read. I was anticipating a science fiction story, or religious dogma, or even a tale of paranoid schizophrenia. The book is originally French - so perhaps it loses something in the translation - but the story didn't live up to expectations.

The plot centres on a young man, who attempts to take his own life, only to wake up a year later to find that he is married to the object of his affection, but with no memory of the previous year since his "suicide".
During the following years, similar awakenings and bouts of amnesia follow and - without giving too much away - I was not gripped by the story. I felt it was somewhat erratic, shifting from year to year, and coming across, to me, as a disjointed attempt to fill in the gaps. Perhaps this was an attempt to replicate the experience of a true amnesiac, but I felt that it was rushed, and in some ways rather childish.

In short, I found it frustrating. The protagonist is never fully fleshed, and although the basic plot demands brief interludes with him, it left me disconnected to the story. The result was that I felt little empathy with his fate, or that of his fellow characters.
on 31 July 2017
I just finished reading this book and I have tears in my eyes. It is very well written and while reading it I felt the feelings that Jeremy the main character was feeling. It is a very intense book and very interesting. The plot of the story is quite unique and I liked it. It made me think and contemplate about my own life and made me grateful of what I have in my life and all the people I love and love me. Let's not not waste it folks! Let's enjoy our lives fully! Thank you Thierry for writing this book!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
From the age of twenty when Jeremy attempts suicide through to his natural death as an old man he only has nine lucid or memorable days. These days follow on one after the other and are vivid, beautiful and yet horrifying in that the lucid Jeremy has no memory of his life, sometimes of several years, between the last day he was awake to the next. It's almost as if there are two Jeremy's, one is a selfish thoughtless cad who is prepared to wreck his home life for the evil pickings of the world and the other is a loving and caring person who is horrified at what his life is becoming, we only meet one of them, the caring Jeremy.

Written by a Morrocan and translated from French, this is a well written, fast paced moralistic story with religious overtones based around the wrongs of suicide and the mark it leaves on your loved ones. I very much enjoyed the book and would recommend to all who like a different concept and read with an open mind.
on 16 December 2012
On his twentieth birthday Jeremy decides to take his own life as he believes Victoria his one and only love does not feel the same for him. However he wakes up the following year on his birthday with absolutely no recollection of the previous twelve months and to his surprise married to Victoria. This happens time and time again, always waking on his birthday, always without memory of the life he appears to be having with his family and friends. What hurts Jeremy to his very soul is the knowledge that he has no control of his amnesia, and the man that stays is a nasty vindictive person who destroys the lives of the people around him.
This was without doubt an incredibly moving novel which engaged me from the start.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 11 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The stated aim of the Amazon Crossing programme is to identify worthy foreign language books and translate them into the English language. I have read quite a few from this series. Some are very good and clearly fulfil this criteria, some have been rather indifferent. Still With Me, which has been translated from French is, however, an absolute cracker. It is quite short, almost a novella, and whilst I note reviews have been mixed, I certainly found it totally compelling.

We first meet Jeremy Delegue on his twentieth birthday, as he is attempting to commit suicide following the apparent rejection of the love of his life, Victoria. From that point Jeremy has days, a very few days, when he is conscious and is able to appreciate and understand snapshots of his life following this event. This does not progress in the way he would have chosen, but he has little opportunity to influence the course of events during the brief time he is in control of the situation. I will not explain further as there is a danger of spoiling this for future readers, but suffice to say that one quickly identifies with Jeremy and his confusion at his predicament and frustration and attempts to understand what is happening and why.

This really was a book I could not put down and I read it in an extraordinarily short time. The mixed reviews do indicate that this is not a book you are going to finish and feel indifferent about. Personally I found myself thinking about the issues raised afterwards, which is always a good sign that there was something more here than just a good story. I would certainly recommend potential readers to give this one a go. I cannot guarantee that you will share my reaction to it, but there is a good chance that you will find it as compelling as I did.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Inspired by the author's own experience of losing his friend to suicide, this is an insider's look at someone who kills himself for desperately selfish reasons, and what that does to those he leaves behind. Jeremy wakes to find himself still alive - not in a hospital room, but in the bedroom he does not know, to find a year has passed since the day he should have died. Locked in limbo, a Groundhog Day of living death, unable to remember an entire year of life, Jeremy slowly pieces together the forgotten days, finding he was, on the whole, a pretty unpleasant person to be around.
Definitely one for the angst-monkeys, I'm sure a lot of people will find this pretty heart-wrenching and love it accordingly. I liked it well enough, but never loved it. It's very obvious that you're reading a translation: the language isn't quite right, which gives it a slight edge of unbelievably. It gets preachy and moralising at times; the author is clearly religious and this frequently breaks through into the prose. All in all, it's an interesting experiment, nicely executed, that didn't quite work for me, but simply by dint of personal taste.
on 9 January 2013
I do not agree with the 5* reviews for this book. It takes time lapse ideas from "One day" and "The Time traveller's Wife" but lacks both charm and romance.
The premise that God does not condone suicide and punishes it does not work - the only people who get punished are the wife, friends and family of Jeremy.
His "good" character comes to life every few years and he learns about his "bad" side via a series of unrealistically detailed letters he finds on the birthdays which are the anniversaries of his suicide. He does not have time to atone for his wickedness until he is finally redeemed on his deathbed, after he has ruined a good few lives. The two sides of his character are simplistically opposed and neither is attractive. The reason for his suicide is not developed enough to provoke empathy in the reader.
I sympathise with the author for the loss of his friend but this is a long drawn out diatribe against suicide with a heavy religious message, which fails to develop into a satisfying story. It is very silly in parts and the translation is clunky at times.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Written after the suicide of a friend, the story is a poignant one.

J'aurais Prefere Vivre is the original. (I think roughly means I would've preferred living)

Suicide after unrequited love, one year on he wakes. His personality also begins to change..

I felt the meaning of the book is to remind us of the value of life.

To remember to enjoy life and enjoy the happiness that awaits us.

After reading I cried.