on 26 April 2014
I happened to get the updated version, which I was glad about, as it covered his health scares, etc. Unlike the reviewer who seemed to want all that psychoanalytical claptrap, I just wanted FACTS! TRIVIA! HISTORY! THE TRUTH! And boy, I got it, at last! Forget notions about "that's only HIS version of events". I now fully believe HIS explanation of all those myths and tales we've heard for years. It is written so well - like he's speaking to your face in his own words. Honest. Down-to-earth. Full of so many little "aside" comments and stories which he (rightly) thinks would be of interest. It pretty much cemented how I rated Sabbath before, i.e. Tony IS Black Sabbath when all's said and done. Without his riffs, forget it. Some will rave about Ozzy's persona or Geezer's lyrics, but whilst they added to things, I admit, they are both very, very secondary. As for Bill Ward, well his contrariness pretty much backs up that ridiculous farce over his refusal to sign that recent contract. (He wouldn't give details of his grievance, yet pathetically still expected fans to "side" with him - don't start me off there!) As I said, it was nice of Iommi to come clean about so many things. Yes, he wasted fortunes on drugs - they all did - but he still came up with the goods. (Mind you, I was taken aback at how much money they wasted on expensive pranks. Still, it was his money to waste, I suppose!) The only REAL surprise for me was how he rated "Dehumanizer" so highly. He talked about it in the same breath as the classic Sabs albums, but to me it was, and is, totally different from anything else. I couldn't get into a single track. Maybe it's me? Maybe I should go and check it out again?! Anyway, a thoroughly enjoyable read from one of my rock heroes. I thank him for all the pleasure he's brought to people, and hope that his current good health continues.
3 people found this helpful
on 10 March 2015
I really didn't know much about Tony Iommi and was keen to learn more. As you'd expect he's had a pretty interesting life with plenty of ups and downs, though not as much rock and roll 'excess' as I've read about from others in metal and rock bands, or possibly he's just not wanted the book to be all about that, which is fair enough :-)

A couple of reviewers have made comments about the style of writing, he said, she said, he goes, they go etc but to be honest, fans will not be looking for a literary masterpiece, I certainly wouldn't expect one. A good read for fans and anyone genuinely interested in some great musical history.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 March 2017
great autobiography of one of Rock's great guitarists. It charts his life from childhood in Brum through to international stardom as the father of heavy metal guitar. Very enjoyable read in his own words, nice short chapters chronicaling specific events and changes in the band and very entertaining. A must for anyone who loved Tony and Black Sabbath and certainly opened my eyes to the ups and downs of the band and his career over the decades. I bought this after seeing Black Sabbath on their final farewell tour in Leeds. Great read.
on 13 January 2012
I caught myself laughing out alone more than one time while reading this book. The short chapters format was a different path to go, but iw worked. One has to get used to it.

Iommi covers everything, all the albums, but of course the book had a maximum lenght, otherwise it becomes a little unviable in terms of marketing. He goes through his four marriages, the usual drugs and alcohol related tales, pranks and disasters, his childhood and family environment, a little about every album and band member that went through Sabbath (contraty to Ozzy's book, where Jake Lee and even Zakk Wylde are almost not mentioned at all), manager troubles, the technique adaptation need for playing after losing two of his fingertips, etc. He does so in a way that doesn't become boring. Or would people like to hear about another hangover, another session of coke consumption, another groupie "banged"? I think not.

The sincerity is also there. He clearly says about difficulties to play the same solo identically two times in a row, difficulty in crating faster songs, never tryuing to write lyrics, etc. (probably he left behind the part of losing some audition capability, because I watched the Heaven and Hell tour in 2009 and gohs, they were loud, really loud!!!)

Very good book, it did not dissapoint me at all.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 September 2015
If you buy this expecting some great piece of literature then I'd suggest you are making a mistake. But if you want to read what happened to a working class kid from Birmingham who got together with some mates, wrote some unusual but very honest music, and became one of the biggest rock stars in the world then this is the book for you. I don't know if Tony Iommi genuinely wrote this, or he used a ghost writer, but it comes over as very straight forward and honest so I like to think he genuinely wrote it. The book gives some interesting insights into the "business world" which sits behind the music industry, and some of the stories Tony tells explain the background which fans don't normally see. I think this is a good and interesting read for those who are interested in the history of rock music.
on 16 June 2015
Not very well written.....but very entertaining. You can't help but like Tony. I had read Mick Wall's bio on Sabbath and it makes Tony out to be a bit of an indecisive coward who couldn't fire anyone to their face. When you read things from Tony's point of view, you see things a bit differently - he's very honest.

If you're a fan, you should read this. It's very easy going but informative. I am shocked Tony can remember as much as he can and that they managed to produce such great music (for a while, anyway)
on 9 May 2013
Being a fan, it seemed logical to want to read his version of life in Rock music. This documents the timeline from school through to modern day times and i am sure Tony has left somethings out, but what he has included will entertain the reader and shine light on what it's like to be in one of the best bands of all time. I strongly recommend this book to you as a chunch of history that needed to be documented. Nice Job Tony and Stay well. NOTE: Tony and i have one thing in common, we're both left handed guitar players. Of course this is where the similarity ends as Tony can actually play!!
on 8 February 2014
Not the brightest bloke in the world, but I have always been in awe of his guitar playing. I first knew about black Sabbath when I was a tender 15 year old, a bit too hard-core for me then. I missed their zenith-era in the mid 70's, of which I am totally fascinated by. Riff after awesome riff, decade after decade, and still going. The book just tells the daily events as they happen, no hard feelings, no acrimoniousness. Easy to read. I have read Ozzy's book, and have known them since 1980, so it was good to hear things from the horses mouth.
on 30 July 2013
the guy is a legend and the band legendry, the book does not dwell on any one period of Tony's life too long, which makes for a good read. the scrapes he and the band get in are hilarious at times. of course there is lots drugs and booze stories, but also the ups and downs of being a successful musician. you don't have to like Sabbath or even metal to read this. it appears to be an honest reflection of Tony's life and the rock n roll life style during a time when rock n roll excess was expected.
on 30 September 2015
Good read although parts came across as 'Tony was the saviour of Black Sabbath' all the time which may well be true but does the reader have to be constantly reminded of this? I must confess though I'd no idea that they had been through so many transitions! A welcome addition to the Rock/Heavy Metal biographies!
One person found this helpful