on 21 January 2016
really good read.
on 20 March 2015
I've read loads of these style of books but unfortunately I've gotta say that this is me least face!! Very boring tbh!!!
on 20 May 2013
I knew Pricey as I worked with him many years ago in the early 80's. having read this book I would recommend it to anyone. Although it is sometimes a bit disjointed, it truly is an insight into life in and around the man.
on 1 June 2016
This book actually gives the opposite impression of him. I don't know Malcolm personally but saw him on a few occasions, people were genuinely frightened of him and his reputation, when he'd walk in a pub people would walk out the doors. That's not out of respect, his reputation was nasty, spiteful and that's what people have seen, of course i'm not saying he had his good moments i'm sure he did and had people he cared about. I can only comment on my experience seeing him which was that of a wild bully on the loose. He was downright vicious I remember one incident where he was in the front passenger seat of a car with someone probably a friend, and his friend was passing another motor on a narrow road, his friend pulled in and scraped and damaged the wing mirror of the other guys car, the man reacted in panic and started to shout and swear, then right there Price comes out of the car, marches straight towards the other guys car, grabs the guy by the collar of his jacket through the window, headbutts him viciously twice and he's spark out, and nonchalantly goes back into the car telling his mate to drive off. I couldn't believe what i saw!!!, People like that cannot be glorified, sorry!
on 23 November 2003
I agree with the other reviewers, this is a great book in the making and has brought a new insight into the hardman book world.
Pricey deserves a medal or mention in the honours listings.
11 Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2003
My husband bought this book for himself to read but once I started flicking through it I could not put it down and he had to wait until I had finished reading it before he could get started with it.
Filled with funny little stories that will make you chuckle and put a smile upon your face. Plenty of violent clashes between many people around Wales and the Country.
It tells you about his boxing career and the high and low points with in it. How he was banned twice from boxing.
How he had a violent father who kicked the living daylights out of him week in week out and after all this he is still here to tell the tale.
A great read!!!!
on 11 October 2003
With a book like this you expect to read about men, hard men, tough men and about men who are frightened about revealing their inner selves. Yes, this book spills with the usual street brawling and flying guts and other nasty coloured stuff!
BUT! This book has what I would call depth, charm and charasima, it is immediately apparent as to why Pricey becomes what he became from the word go and throughout the book the reader is confronted with a hard man without the mandatory chip on his shoulder.
Why are all hard man books written in a masculine way, 'Yeah, I did him good and proper, know what I mean. I've never turned away from a challenge.'
Well, in this case that is not the case and I was more than pleasantly surprised to see a step back from the more traditional hard man genre books.
Here, within, we are moved by the typical scenarios all hard men must meet, but along with this we are given an opportunity to explore a man who isn't frightened to step back from what he became and to reveal his inner self, a side that I haven't been able to read about or detect in other hard man books.
You certainly know what makes him tick by time you've read the book and when it ends, you look upon the man within the book as a friend.
Pricey is considered the hardest man in Britain, but I would have no qualms about approaching him to ask for his autograph, a great man with a great story to move you.
on 6 September 2003
I have known Pricey since I was a child, he's a throwback to the bare knuckle fighterts of old. I had a chance to read this book before it comes out and found it to be a brillient tribute to the great man. Years ago I'd watch Pricey out walking his dog or just standing in a pub and wonder why he never agreed to let someone write his book. You get so many tales of famous fighters from London that it would bore local guys has we had Pricey, the real deal.
Steve Richards has done a wonderful job on this book, if only it was written 15 years ago. Then maybe it would have been Pricewy getting film deals and called to do TV work. Malcolm is a legend and this book does him proud, well done Steve on this great work.
on 19 November 2014
I never write reviews but felt i had to with this. I haven't finished the book yet and have to say the way it's written is simply awful. It's full of "i said this" and "they said that." When someone puts "and everything" at the end of a sentence it makes me feel like i'm reading a Peter & Jane book from infant school. Actually they're probably better written. On the plus side i am enjoying some of the stories, i just wish they were better written.
on 7 November 2014
A total load of tripe. Poorly written account of a wasted talent. Bored me to tears.