on 11 January 2005
This essential for anyone with type 1 diabetes that is on a basal-bolus insulin regime. Our daughter has the condition and we need to work out her carbohydrate intake with every meal to calculate her insulin.
Free Carbohydrate listings on the internet seem to be based on strange American foods - so it is good to have a book that covers British foods. This book is excellent value, is a handy pocket size and is very comprehensive.
I gave the book 4 stars rather than five because it mainly Gives Carbs per hundred grams - which is fine at home when you can weigh things. But when eating out or at other peoples houses it would be useful to have more portion descriptions - rather than just giving a total weight for many foods.
55 comments| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 July 2008
I bought this, and 2 other carb counting books, because I have 2 children who are Type 1 diabetic and we need to carb count for the basal bolus insulin regime they are using. I found it so useful I bought another 3, 1 each for the kids and 1 to be kept in the kitchen. The other books got left on the shelf, this one is far and away the easiest to use (& to carry around) and the best thing it's all UK foods, products and measurments. Since my children are teenagers the fact that it includes fast foods from the likes of McDonalds is really helpful too, they are much more inclined to use this than the others. All in all we have been really pleased with this book and would recommend it to anyone needing to keep an eye on their carb intake.
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2009
This little book was a god send. It it small enough to fit into your pocket or handbag. It contains a well categorised full listing of foods and drinks for the UK reader. Not only does it gives carbs per measure, but also net carbs. For those on a calorie controlled diet it shows calorie content and for people on a low fat diet it gives grammes of fat too (although these would have to be scaled up to per 100g for Rosemary Conley's diet plan.) All this information in a compact and easy to read format. I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone devising their own menus on either a low carb diet, low fat diet or a calorie controlled diet.
on 9 February 2010
For the third time in my life (1st attempt in 2002), I have embarked on a low-carb/Atkins diet .. so I thought this book would be really useful.

It is, hopefully, but I'm a bit concerned and disappointed over a couple of anomalies I've come across so far.

For instance, Cream Crackers. My spirits soared when I saw these listed as 0.7 per cracker (and with 0.2 fibre, potentially 0.5 a pop), that would be my lunch sorted at work. However, the lowest I could find after raking through every cracker brand/type/variety in the supermarket was 4.8g per cracker. That is a MASSIVE difference and, had I not checked, 4 lunchtime crackers would have put me up to the daily induction diet max of 20g.

Another one, Celeriac. Listed in the book at 100g boiled = 1.9g (with 3.2 fibre - positively negative in carbs!!). However, trawling through reliable low carb websites came back with 5.9g per 100g cooked (and 0 dietary fibre).

I think this book is good for a general overview of what's high/low in carbs .. but most diabetics or habitual low-carbers already know most of this.

As a result of this book, someone who has to stick to a maximum daily carb count may be lulled into a sense of false security over what they're putting into their mouths is totalling up to be. It's hard enough sticking to this kind of diet at all, without finding that "resistance has been futile".

I personally think that the fact that these kinds of inaccuracies in a book that purports to be a "carb counter" is alarming and I'd be interested to know Collins' take on it. I mean, you only have to get the cracker carb count off the side of the box. No independent, bunsen burner experimentation required.

Nonetheless, it is on the whole a good, useful little book and there's lots of tips and info for not much cost ... though I did find one Fast Food tip a little strange:

"Deep fried fish isn't a particularly healthy option, but it isn't as high in carbs as you might think. Remember to cut off the batter and try to avoid the ships, which will set you back at least 30g in carbs!"

Ermm .. fish and chips ... without the batter ... minus the chips ... wouldn't that be ... FISH??

Great tip!!
on 9 April 2012
Where a book involves images of some sort, do publishers actually check them before releasing a Kindled edition? Does Amazon's Kindle have the functionality to handle them properly yet?
The images in this book are the oh so very KEY tables of carb content by food type. The text around the tables is pretty much irrelevant for a quick guide such as this, but it can be made larger. Huge, in fact. The tables however, don't work in the same way. On Kindle for Android most are unreadable. This is a big shame as the book makes a perfect ready reckoner and would be excellent in the electronic portable form offered here. But at the moment you just can't read it.
on 24 January 2011
Ok if you eat ready made products and meals. I don't think I will be using as much as I hoped. Will be looking out for another more informative directory based on ingredients and food types eg makes/types of cheese, yogurts, etc
on 20 April 2009
I bought this as a small, handy, pocket sized guide to take out with me for carb counting.

Just like any other Collins Gem, this book is the business. It contains mostly everything you need to know, sensibly arranged and easy to use. The measures are sensible and understandable unlike another book I have.

If you need to count your carbs, then this is a great book to have.
on 27 February 2009
this is the best carb counter on the market. It is in my handbag alway. Make shopping so much easier and faster. I would'nt go any where without it. A must when you are counting carbs.
on 24 February 2009
Excellent little book with so much info, newly insulin dependant diabetic in family, excellent sugar content information with everyday British used foods. well recommended.
on 7 March 2016
I bought this thinking it was an up-to-date version, however, the listing for quinoa seems absent (it may be me but I've double checked) and this is something I eat regularly. Chocolate isn't listed by percentage of cocoa solids so it is pretty underwhelming. This edition was published in 2013 but doesn't specify that it has been updated from the original 2004 version. Caveat emptor dear reader (let the buyer beware!) Apart from these niggles the information is comprehensive and has good guidance but, since things have changed SO much regarding nutrition I think there may be better, more recent, sources which would be preferable.