on 7 January 2017
This is a must read book for parents. As a new mother I felt pressurised to conform to particular Western parenting norms that just didnt feel right for my baby and I. This book has given me the confidence to stand by my decisions and explore different ideas with an open mind and without the need to judge others choices.

These are conversations we just don't have enough and we need to have for the sake of our children and society.
on 10 June 2014
This is the first kind of 'parenting' book I have read that I enjoyed! It's not really a parenting book but more a cultural look into the different ways that other countries tackle everyday things.

As a first time expecting parent, I enjoyed reading about the different cultural references. How some of the western material things are not always as necessary as I first thought them to be and it has defiantly questioned some things I thought were just the way to do things.

I would recommend this book to my friends and family.
on 14 May 2013
I liked the start but somewhere in the middle I felt I was reading a university essay ,I did learn a few things but I was expecting more cultural diversity and less going over the same subjects in the same countries five times. I found it somewhat boring by the end and just wanted to finish it ,to be done.
3 people found this helpful
on 10 June 2013
Very insightful. As a first time patent to a toddler I found this book very interesting. As the author herself has said, parents in the west are very quick to judge each other on how they raise their children. This is most definitely true in Wales. As a mother I constantly feel guilty for going back to work, for continuing to co sleep with a toddler amongst other things as a result of other people's judgements. Therefore I was very pleased to read that many of these parenting choices are normal in
other cultures.
The book has also taught me about many parenting customs that I had never heard of but find fascinating and might even choose to follow. A great read, we in the west have a lot to learn from other cultures. It will help the reader realise that there are many different ways of raising a child successfully.
on 15 April 2017
Great book that offers insights that work. It's very pleasant to read as well, not leaving you bored even for a while. I like the non-judgmental approach of the author but at the same time presenting her ideas and opinions firm and backing them up. A must read book, nowadays, when ''westernization'' has such a bad influence on parenting manners.
on 29 June 2013
I found this book a really interesting read. As a newish mother I began to feel liberated from the constraints our culture places on parents when reading how other cultures raise their children. For example, I no longer worry about occasionally breaking the bedtime 'deadline' after reading about the flexible attitude Buenos Aires parents' hold. My 14 month old has had no ill effects and we've had more fun as a result. Wish I'd read this book sooner and would recommend to other parents.
on 18 March 2015
A great book. A friend bought bought it for my baby shower and I've since bought it for lots of other friends with babies. Really interesting and great for ideas!
on 16 January 2017
Very interesting thanks
on 13 September 2016
For a first time Mum living in the UK, I found this book so helpful in reducing the pressure I was placing on myself. My daughter wouldn't sleep in her cot, so we co-slept, which is not accepted her, but when you understand that in so many countries this is the norm, you are able to relax. . ........ a little.
on 5 June 2013
found this book really interesting and if you have children it may help you look at how you do things differently and may also give you ideas.

Well written and as far as i can comment - well researched too