Customer reviews

on 8 December 2012
CONTENTS

Overview of the behaviour sciences
Pre-study decisions
Sampling and recording methods (e.g. ad libitum, one-zero, etc.)
Testing measure reliability and validity
Assessing research design
Statistical analysis
Specific aspects (e.g. bout length, sequences, dyadic exchanges, etc.)
Interpreting and presenting findings

REVIEW

A must-have if you are contemplating a scientific career on dog behaviour. Otherwise, leave it well alone: the target audience is firmly academic.

If you're studying ethology, it's likely a compulsory read for your college. And rightly so! What the book lacks in depth (it's just 170 pages), it makes up in breadth: taking you through a wide sweep at all essential topics for measuring behaviour.

Unless you're a first year Psych/Ethology student, you'll be familiar with most of the concepts, but it serves as a wonderful, concise, refresher of the fundamentals. A couple of paragraphs gave me the clearest explanations I'd ever read: e.g. four questions of ethology, sampling vs. recording methods, the interrelated behaviour sciences, etc. The list of annotated references also offers a great tool if you wanted to dig deeper.

I do have an ax to grind though: every topic in the statistics section was soooo superficial. It barely covered some topics at conceptual level. I also found the chapter on findings presentation so superficial as to make the inclusion/exclusion of particular points look haphazard. I would have done away with that chapter altogether, as it doesn't gel tightly with the book's core objective anyway.

So, verdict time: I love that it is succinct, I hate that it is succinct... A classic all the same.
on 15 November 2017
Useful book for someone wanted to fill their head with knowledge or for use in studying.
on 10 July 2015
Very useful for learning about observation and data collection. Nicely written, easy to read and understandable. Finishing off my master's project at the moment and I'm fairly confident about my methods, thanks to this book among others. Doesn't really go into statistics much but that's stated by the authors as not being their focus so it's fine by me.
on 26 October 2017
Helpful when I prepare my experiment
on 25 July 2013
A must have for anyone who is studying behaviour; especially if you are planning on doing data collection and behavioural studies. Covers everything you need to know, where to start and offers solutions to problems you may occur. This has been highly recommended to be by my lectures and I am very happy I have bought it for my dissertation behaviour studies at zoological parks
One person found this helpful
on 4 May 2016
bought for my daughters college course
on 18 December 2016
Highly recommend to anybody studying behaviour. It's quite small and lightweight so it's perfect to carry around with you all the time.
on 24 September 2015
Brilliant book, exactly as described. Excellent service.
on 14 January 2015
Great compact little book, very informative!
on 1 February 2015
great book. was interesting to read and full of valuable information for university courses relating to animal behaviour.