on 26 April 2017
Zipped through this book in just a few sittings. Really loved how most of the chapters were rounded off with small universal truths that all of us as readers could probably relate to.

One of the most poignant chapters 'Going back' recounts the author's own reflections of a trip to Hungary with his 80 year old father - a Holocaust survivor. Emptied of the people his father loved, the places visited, were no longer the places his father had known. Makes one question what is home? Why do we remember what we want to remember and forget what we want to forget?

Other stand out chapters for me included 'How a fear of loss can cause us to lose everything', 'on mourning the future' and 'how praise can cause a loss of confidence'. On a personal level, the book was really worth reading for the chapter 'on closure' dealing with bereavement. I wholly agree with the author - "Closure is...delusive. It is the false hope that we can deaden our living grief".

Real life case studies (including recollections of the author's own personal experiences) covering a range of individuals varying in age and socio economic background, made this a fascinating insight into the world of psychoanalysis. Would recommend.
on 30 June 2017
Very different to what I expected. This is a book with a lot of cases which are described over one or two pages. It doesnt really teach you anything. Its more of a book to be read as a story than as a self-help book.
on 28 March 2017
A magnificently framed reflection on years of case notes, carefully ordered to, in their own way tell a story of the human experience. Whether you approve of Psychoanalysis or not, the thoughts and connections made in this book are worth considering. There is no more difficult or important task than knowing oneself.
on 9 April 2017
Great read. Insightful and quite heavy stuff but it's written really well for your average person to enjoy! I enjoyed it as did my sister and mum!
on 17 August 2017
The book has some interesting insight in to the types of diffiulties people bring with them to therapy. I was looking fro more depth in the story of the client though. A good read and insightful.
on 1 January 2017
Wasnt as good as I was expecting, but I suppose it depends on how much you credit psychoanalysis
on 6 April 2014
This book was recommended via the Perfumed Ladies
Book Group. Wouldn't have read it otherwise. Every chapter gives an insight into my self, your self, ourselves and while I question the need for counselling it was illuminating to read these case histories. I think each chapter, covering a single topic, could be read and thought through and discussed to good effect.
on 10 August 2017
great read
on 6 August 2017
Lucid clear and insightful, if the cases warranted it, but the books main strength is its ability to live with ambiguity,loose ends and not to reduce human behaviour to conforming to one set of ideas.
on 19 August 2017
It was recommended to me by my Lecturer. I found it helpful in thinking about the process within therapy. I would recommend it to all Clinicians/Psychologists