on 26 April 2017
Zipped through this book in just a few sittings. Really loved how most of the chapters were rounded off with small universal truths that all of us as readers could probably relate to.

One of the most poignant chapters 'Going back' recounts the author's own reflections of a trip to Hungary with his 80 year old father - a Holocaust survivor. Emptied of the people his father loved, the places visited, were no longer the places his father had known. Makes one question what is home? Why do we remember what we want to remember and forget what we want to forget?

Other stand out chapters for me included 'How a fear of loss can cause us to lose everything', 'on mourning the future' and 'how praise can cause a loss of confidence'. On a personal level, the book was really worth reading for the chapter 'on closure' dealing with bereavement. I wholly agree with the author - "Closure is...delusive. It is the false hope that we can deaden our living grief".

Real life case studies (including recollections of the author's own personal experiences) covering a range of individuals varying in age and socio economic background, made this a fascinating insight into the world of psychoanalysis. Would recommend.
on 28 March 2017
A magnificently framed reflection on years of case notes, carefully ordered to, in their own way tell a story of the human experience. Whether you approve of Psychoanalysis or not, the thoughts and connections made in this book are worth considering. There is no more difficult or important task than knowing oneself.
on 1 January 2017
Wasnt as good as I was expecting, but I suppose it depends on how much you credit psychoanalysis
on 9 April 2017
Great read. Insightful and quite heavy stuff but it's written really well for your average person to enjoy! I enjoyed it as did my sister and mum!
on 3 June 2017
Swift delivery. Item as described.
on 23 May 2017
Very inspiring and thoughtful book.
on 12 April 2017
An easy read, not only are the chapters short and engaging but it also covers a range of topics. I took this on holiday with me for a minibreak and it was perfect.
on 20 May 2017
Absolutely stunning book, ended up buying multiple copies to give as gifts.
on 19 April 2017
very interesting deep reading !
on 12 March 2014
A great read. Very insightful and it should be read by everyone. I recommend it to anyone thinking about life and death.