on 5 August 2015
Please be aware that these units no longer come with a M-DISK included. This was a special offer as indicated by a stickered box and current stock no longer includes this.

A shame as this is the only reason I paid the extra for the retail boxed version.

If you are replacing an existing drive or already have the required cables save yourself the money and buy the OEM version.
review imagereview imagereview image
on 20 March 2015
Worked eventually (after hours of fiddling) in the end I had to go to the website and get firmware updates. Now it's working it's great, save yourself issues though and check for firmware updates first.

Originally gave it four stars but now 6 weeks on and I find it won't play certain blu rays e.g x-men days of future past. Seems to be linked to 20th Century Fox copyright protection, I contacted LG about firmware updates to solve this but they were not at all helpful. Fox likewise just said to to manufacturer for firmware updates !!
on 9 April 2014
I prefer the eject button on this drive to any other I've had, it's much easier to find by feel than 'normal' ones. For anyone wondering the button is a raised bump in the black surface of the fascia and has a definite but gentle click action. The drive works as advertised, I'm using it currently with Amazon/TDK 25gb BDr disks and on my system it burns and verifies ~20gb in 20 minutes, cut that in half if you don't want to verify. What others have said about the supplied software is true, it's worse than useless and for the day or so I had it installed it kept bugging me to upgrade. I switched to the excellent and Free! ImgBurn software and so far I'm happy with it.

Unless you really need the sata cable, four screws and the nice cardboard box save yourselves a few quid and buy the BH16NS40.AUAU10B model, same drive, same hopeless software, no cable or screws.
on 25 November 2015
So far, so good. Worked just fine - installed fine in my HP Pav PC, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Windows 8.1 (soon to be Windows 10). front door fits well with PC's bezel and front flap, so no problems there, either. Slotted into CD-ROM media case fine. Fairly quiet - wouldn't say as a monk but close. Not much more to say, except I wish it had come with some kind of BR disc playing software (only ripping CD provided). What a nightmare it has been, trying to find a FREE one to use, in Windows! I've tried quite a few and done lots of registry hacking instructions (for VLC and others), to make simple BR discs (such as Star Trek original cast films) work but no bl**dy chance! If anyone can suggest a completely FREE player, I'm all ears!
on 20 February 2013
This drive comes in a nice retail box with all the spec's and information on the side of the box (you can save a couple of pounds by getting a brown boxed version, also available on Amazon) I went for the retail boxed version because it comes with everything you will need to install this drive in your desktop machine. (A friend bought the brown boxed version and I'm told that just includes the drive and the software).

This unit contains in the box :
Blu-ray / DVD Writer
Super Multi Blue install disc
Serial ATA Cable
Mounting screws
One disc (Modisc, the first disc to last up to 1000 years!!!!, I guess your data will be safe on that)

The front bezel of the drive looks really good in a stylish black complimented by the LG logo in silver, the eject button is quite shapely and nicely raised off the front bezel (a small thing to comment on but it looks good).

I've only used it for burning a few Blu-ray movies so far, I tried both Verbatim and TDK discs that borrowed off a mate, both worked well with no complications and both played back on my home Blu-ray player. When I come to order some discs for myself I'd be happy to use either (whichever is cheapest at the time).

All in all this is a very good purchase and it does all you would want or expect from a Blu-ray writer (oh last thing to mention it does 3D playback).
review imagereview imagereview image
55 Comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 July 2015
A quality drive for a reasonable price. The only installation issue was that the eject button on my Dell PC wouldn't open the drive tray. On closer inspection I could see that the plastic moulding on the PC front panel was pressing the drive button. A bit of filing of the offending moulding released the button and it now works OK. No additional drivers were required with Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit). I haven't installed the software supplied yet, but will consider later once I get Windows 10. I've tried recording to TDK BD-R and Memorex CD-R disks and all was OK - no coasters.
on 8 November 2015
I haven't bothered with the bluray format before as I always thought it was a bit expensive and stuck with DVDs but I thought it was time to make the transition.
This BluRay player was reasonably priced, easy to install and works great so far. It took a bit of time to get it working to play discs as the software needed updating - the codes have changed since the kit was manufactured. It was fairly straightforward to download the new drivers after I had found a way around some issues with internet explorer.

Update: After about 8 months the drive has developed a fault and blu-ray discs can no longer be played. It is too late to return the item. Therefore I have updated my review / rating accordingly.
on 14 January 2015
I bought this optical drive as part of my pc build. The software that accompanied the drive plays blu ray discs and dvds with ample definition. I have not used the 3-d capability of the software and so, cannot comment on it. However, I am thrilled with this purchase, would recommend it, and am giving it five stars. It was easy to install in a Corsair case without screws, a screwless design for optical drives, it plays what I want it to. Five stars!
on 4 February 2018
This drive just died on me, had it over 2 yrs, but still. For the price I would expect more. Furthermore it was hardly ever used. I probably burned about 50 disks in total, obviously if I had used it every day, or even every week it would have died within a few months.
on 5 August 2015
When I ordered the lg bh16ns40 drive I was a little concerned as some reviews were saying there was no cables or software i am pleased to say everything you needed is in the box
The reason I brought the lg bh16ns40 is I have the Sony alpha 58 camera and I wanted to put my HD movies on blue ray disc and it does that very well and I am very pleased with my blue ray drive