on 23 March 2016
I've read it twice and will read it again. Some good ideas inside. I've been training, properly, Three years. Some good knowledge obtained but could of been more polished. Already knew a lot of the information. Didn't like the way the pages where filled with lots of different training programs. I felt these could of been condensed and not just page fillers.
on 3 March 2017
Good, simple program. Personally I would disregard the diet advice. No one should be drinking a gallon of milk. I don't advice beginners to do the original program either as you would make quicker progress in a linear training program. Where this program does shine is if you want to be strong and fit and your lifts aren't increasing very fast.
on 14 March 2017
AMAZING!! If you're looking to boost your strength, this program will do it for you. Really worth the money.
on 11 December 2013
this book is literally a step by step on how to get strong, i am going to buy the beyond 5/3/1 as i heard it has a lote more depth in it compared to this edition but this book is still one to get
on 30 March 2017
Have not tried 5/3/1 yet but after doing 5x5 stronglifts i know that this will work and i am looking forward to starting this program🖒
on 10 May 2016
This is a great book, would recommend for anyone. For total beginners I'd recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe for a more detailed look into the form and mechanics of the 5 basic strength lifts- Squat, Bench, Overhead Press, Deadlift and Power Clean.

Whereas Starting Strength teaches what to do, 5/3/1 teaches you how to do it.

I've been following 5/3/1 for a number of months after having previously never barbell trained. I always wanted to train, but it all seemed so complex, what sets/reps to hit, everyone in fitness having a different contradicting opinion... As a beginner, the gym was a confusing and intimidating place to be.

In comes 5/3/1... The simplest most straightforward and logical program you'll ever hear about. It's based on the timeless tenants of strength training: emphasis on compound lifts, hard work, eating big and slow and steady progressive overload.

5/3/1 cuts through the bulls*** of the modern fitness (sales) industry and gets to the heart of the matter. It's no nonsense and basic principles can be adapted for any athletic goal and can easily fit into your lifestyle. 5/3/1's secret of success is acknowledging that we all have s*** days in the gym, where life gets in the way and we can't hit the desired rep/set scheme. The work sets are all based off 90% of your 1RM- so you can not worry about burning out, taking regular deloads- providing you can check your ego at the door.

3rd time I've read this book, 1st time buying electronic copy. Do yourself a favour and buy it. This has changed my life, I am having so much fun setting new personal records and getting strong- doing things I thought I'd never be able to do!

Thanks Jim. 5 stars out of 5!
on 16 October 2014
What I love about 5/3/1... It's based on clear and consistent principles, yet its not boring or monotonous because the variation it builds in keeps you fresh. Because the progression is programmed you always know what you supposed to do and when to do it, so you get a great feeling of satisfaction of small victories along the way. This is a very good thing when trying to build your strength because it invariably takes a long time to achieve something substantial. I love it that there are many ways to apply these simple principles to many different ways of training. Just pick one that suits you goals and schedule and stick at it. I wish I'd got this book at 18 instead of 47, then again I wish I'd read Mark Rippetoe's book at 16 not 45! Joe Weider did well for himself, but he didn't do that much for me.

This is not a book for people who want to spend 3 weeks reading it, Wendler doesn't bother to explain or justify with references every single statement he makes, but who cares? all that stuff is out there on the internet if you want to read up on it. What this book does so well is cut through all the fog of theory, hype, fads and pseudo science, that you need a PhD to unravel, and says "do this, this and this... and stick at it and you'll to get stronger" and in the end, anyone with a brain and a barbell can do it.
on 28 May 2015
Having started 5/3/1 a couple of months back having been recommended to try it, I found versions online to follow but after seeing initial success I decided to buy this book to get the full effect.

In honesty, the programming information was boring New to what I had read through free sources, however the book comes in to its own when discussing the finer details of how to make the programme work. The technique adjustments that can squeeze an extra rep or few lbs out of a set, the dietary advice and the overall feeling that this is truly a life's work and something the author lives, breathes and sleeps rather than just a haphazard written plan with a name on it in order to sell books and make money.

Buy this book and follow it!!. You will not regret it
on 29 December 2012
I love Jim's program because it checks all these boxes and more.

1. Safety first - the best program in the world that results in 6 months injury rehab is no good. Younger guys can get away with crazy programs. Not for me the hour-long squat mega sets.
2. Efficiency - I'm not interested in living in the gym. Get in, do the job and get out.
3. Effectiveness - I still want to get bigger, stronger and fitter.
4. Simplicity - easy to understand, intuitive and logical.
5. Flexible - different folk have different priorities and this system accommodates a wide variety of goals, including some crazy stuff that violates 1. above (accompanied by a warning).

All in all, a brilliant work.
on 9 December 2013
I'm NSCA CSCS and I use this myself, and with others I train. It's a simple, elegant way of arranging wave-style periodization, basically. Beginners would be better with Starting Strength by Rippetoe to make good use of linear progression. But after that this is a great next stage, and should be good for years of training.

Wendler gives some small changes to try in this and in the 'Beyond 5/3/1' book, most notably the 3/5/1 version, but I've found it's difficult to improve on.