1,832
Style Name: 25 Sat Nav UK and Ireland|Size: 5"|Change

on 30 December 2015
I will add to this review at a later date but I hope this helps some customers to make a decision about which satnav to purchase.

Firstly about this model Tom Tom Start 25M

Pros

1. Comes with free map updates
2. Traditional TomTom menu system which most people are used to
3. Simple menu system works well on this good quality resistive screen
4. Excellent screen contrast and clarity
5. Has TomTom IQ Routes
6. Can easily highlight a piece of road on the map and then press “Travel Via” which causes the Tomtom to include that section of the road when planning its rout. You can do this without having to pre-program a stop or waypoint etc
7. Learns from your preferred route inputs so it takes you that way in future by default
8. 3D navigation allows you to see further into the distance and you can see horizon making navigation easier and more predictable. VERY IMPORTANT on unfamiliar or winding roads. This feature reminds me of the excellent CoPilot software for mobile phones. See this link regarding a comparison of the old and new screen layouts............https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-and-start-40-50-60-series-go-400-500-600-5000-6000-mydrive-176/direct-comparison-new-range-with-old-690610
9. Excellent battery life
10. Will display Points Of Interest on screen at all times if you want
11. Retains your destination once you reached it, which is helpful in case you pass it
12. Clear road names all along route

Cons:

1. Traffic information received by additional TMC traffic receiver (purchased separately). Known to be slower to pick up traffic information but it's totally free and works across Europe. This is a subscription free service and therefore can not be deactivated by TomTom. (Does NOT require a mobile phone to connect to receive traffic data)

COMPARISON:................

Now to compare this with the TomTom Start or Go 50/60

Pros:

1. New menu system but can be difficult to use
2. Simpler map layout but has limitations (no “Travel Via – See notes below)
3. Free Traffic updates built in and quick to receive information (These subscription updates cease in some years when TomTom decide the date :)..........You MUST have a mobile phone which these TomToms connect to to allow them to receive traffic data and you will be charged more if you do this abroad!

Cons:

1. Poor screen contrast which is difficult to see on a bright day (Known design problem)
2. There is no “Travel Via” function and so Tom Tom recommend you pre-program stops into your route instead. (Please see this TomTom link http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3604/~/how-do-i-create-a-route-with-several-stops%3F)
3. Tom Tom unit did not seem to learn from preferred route and so did not choose this route in future (Is this because there is no IQ Routes on these models except on Start 60 ?)
4. Most road names missing when in navigation mode (Known problem- See other reviews)
5. Poor resistive touch screen (Known design problem- See other reviews)
6. You can not see horizon in the distance making navigation less predictable
7. Poor battery life on some of these models (Known design problem- See other reviews)
8. No way of displaying Points Of Interest on screen at all times. Instead you have to search for them in each journey! (Known problem- See other reviews)
9. Takes longer to find street names and POI's (Known problem- See other reviews)
10. Some customers report that once you reach and pass your destination the destination disappears from the screen leaving you an empty map (Not Good)

Short verdict:

The 25M is has the older menu system but it has held its price well against the more recent models, which is a testament to how good it is.

If you want a really good clear screen with the traditional TomTom menu system and you are happy to purchase a subscription free TMC receiver for about £25. The new receiver has come a long way since the earlier designs and no longer needs to be stuck to the windscreen. Again, this TMC receiver has to be purchased separately.

If you look at the photo below you will see the TomTom Start 25 style layout on the left and the newer TomTom on the right. Personally I find the older layout and map perspective much clearer and predictable as you can see further into the distance.

You are welcome to ask me any questions.

If you find this review helpful please click on the grey "Yes" button below.
review image
66 comments| 332 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2016
I was a bit over awed by the choice of SatNavs available and, embarrassingly, went with this because I thought it looked better with the rounded edges over its competitor which looked old and had square edges! Incredibly easy to set up on my pc and having used it for the first time on Saturday, I am absolutely delighted with it! The graphics are so good, the audio is great quality and very clear and the instructions are given in plenty of time of you actually needing to take action. I am a confident driver but useless with directions; now that I have this TomTom on board I will be happy to go anywhere. My husband is equally chuffed as he won't have to help me get un-lost anymore!
on 16 October 2012
This is my second TomTom, my first was a GO700 which is still going well after 8 years. I changed because I fancied a large screen and the new features. I deleted my old TomTom Home2 site on my computer completely and installed the new one for the Start called 'MyTomTom' which is a free download on the TomTom main site page 'Getting Started'. I would advise you to do the same to avoid any problems if you have a previous TomTom.

My Sat Nav was up to date straight out of the box but I connected it up and it updated the traffic cameras and some shared map info with no problems. You can check if yours is up to date by going to 'settings',then 'me and my device', then 'about my device'. At the time of writing an up Sat Nav will read on the second line (App 12.045.1067676.84 (0) 2041, 19/9/2012 [the date I did it, yours will have a different date of course] OS 1017068. Be warned this is not a fast process even with a Broadband connection!

I really like the 5" screen it's bright and clear and the voice is clear and very loud. The new holder remains with the Sat Nav when you remove it from the windscreen and folds flat - which is a very good idea. If you did have any problems with it, it can be easily removed and cheaply replaced. Putting it on a windscreen and removing it is simplicity itself. Having spoken road names is great and you are sometimes surprised by the fact that you never really knew the name of a road you travelled on for years! Not all the voices work with spoken road names you must choose one that says it speaks street names of which there is only one English one on my Sat Nav (Serena). I found it picks up the satellites very quickly and the speed at which it processes routes is very very good. All the new features are really good and worth having and the Points of Interest are amazing - they even give you the telephone numbers so that you can call to book a table or to check if an item is in stock etc. I was originally frustrated by the fact that it didn't have a battery indicator, so I couldn't tell if it needed to be charged or if it was fully charged, but one suddenly appeared! I don't know whether it came with a download/update or whether it needed a good charge first before it appeared but it's there now - hoorah! I found that the home charger for my Blackberry phone which has a micro connection charges it up perfectly or it can be charged by your computer with the lead supplied in the box.

All in all this is a really excellent Sat Nav and I am absolutely delighted with it. I have no hesitation in recommending it to all those who don't need to use it as a phone; don't want the Live Link traffic updates and get frustrated by voice recognition systems that don't recognise what you say.
1212 comments| 775 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 October 2014
I read all sorts of woes about this model but its great:

* Very quick to start up
* Quick to find satellites
* I like the new Motorway lane guidance
* The mounting is superb
* It is thin and light enough to go into my pocket
* Updating the maps is easy although, inevitably, a 3GB download takes a while: 2 1/2 hours in my case

The only issue I had was that it wouldn't connect via MyDrive. I phoned TomTom and they could not have been more helpful - apparently I had to de-register my old TomTom Go 700 before the new one would connect.
As many others have noted, phoning is much better than the website support which I found largely incomprehensible !
22 comments| 189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2016
I agree with many positive reviews - the device is great
BUT
Beware - no free map updates at all.
This was a "promotion" and it was available until end of 2015.
This model comes with a map which is roughly 2 years old and it can NOT be updated for free.
When plugged into PC it will update software and what-not but not the map.
The "my drive" will state that your "subscription expired".
A map update will cost you £40 per year.
For me - it is a con.
Customer service contacted twice but so far no answer.
1010 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2012
I needed a new Satnav as my old one was very ancient, a bit battered and I hadn't updated the maps for seven years! It was a basic Tom Tom One but I liked it very much, especially the ability to re-route if you encounter a hold up. I asked for a new one for my birthday and got this, and was somewhat worried about it on reading the Amazon reviews - would it get a GPS signal, would it charge, would it still have the software that allowed re-routing? Well, so far I'm very satisfied as it does all of those things, plus I now have up-to-date maps and a nice non-chunky wide-screen satnav.

Other positives after a two-week trial: the lane advice is nice; I like the spoken directions telling you the name/no of the road you are joining and the direction of travel; it fits nicely onto the windscreen without leaving much of a mark, and it beeps at you when a "safety" camera is near. Not 5 stars because there is a bit of meanness evident by Tom Tom not including a case, but I bought a nice pencil-case from W H Smith that fits it for about three quid!

Slight confusion around Tom Tom Home v My Tom Tom (its the latter you have to use). Make sure you do the mandatory software update before you use it. My car is a Seat Leon - don't know if that's important.

So far, so pleased. Will update if things change...
22 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 31 January 2016
After owning a couple of cars with built in TomTom I have got used to having one, not becessarily to navigate, but just to have it switched on showing my current location, and upcoming roads and junctions. Whilst a standalone device is obviously not as convenient as a built in one, this does come pretty close. I particularly like the option to set it to switch on and off automatically when the ignition is turned on or off, which I don't think is available on some makes /models.

I did have a problem registering it, because TomTom will only allow one device to be linked per email account, and do not have any way that you can unlink it yourself. However, I emailed their customer services and within 24 hours they deleted the previous registration.

My only ongoing complaint for daily operation is that I do have to press an "OK" button on the screen before it switches to the map display. Other than that it is fine - I have got it semi-permanently mounted near the audio on my car, so the screen is out of direct sunlight and it is also less conspicuous both when driving, and when the car is parked (although I do use a makeshift cover to obscure it if feel it necessary to). It usually locks onto satellites almost immediately, and the user interface is generally quite logical and straightforward.
on 11 July 2012
Worked straight out of the box - No problems at all. Lots of options easy to use. I have had many different types of sat navs usually installed in the car. So for the price I'm impressed. Slick interface. Everything I need. didn't go for live updates Can even change the boring arrow to an array of different car icons - green sport car for me

My dad has had a tom tom for years - the new ultra thin models are great when compared with some of these older models. So i'm glad i paid a little extra for the newer model -

No problems updating - Got latest software for unit and updated wirelessly using my router. I see that others had problems. I think this model has more memory plus i understand that you can expand the memory with an SD card

Charges via USB connection on computer, and via cigarette lighter in car but i guess i can use my apple ipod/phone usb charger to charge it as well.

Glad i also went with the 5 inch screen too.
on 29 January 2015
Generally a pretty decent bit of kit, but with some irritating features. The good points first: boots up quickly, very clear and functional screen, plenty of volume and a clear voice that tells you the name of the street/road for the next turning and where you are heading for. Sufficient personalisation features for a Sat Nav of this price (I paid £79 for my unit), the speed camera warnings are a useful addition too. The irritation points are: When keying in a destination or post code you have to toggle between two screen as letters and numbers aren't viewed on the same screen. The Sat Nav and sucker mount are all in one piece, so when you park you car you have to take everything off the windscreen rather than just unclip it from a permanent windscreen mount (like my old Tom Tom), this is a fiddly job when re-mounting the unit as the rotating ring that pulls the sucker-mount to the windscreen rarely locks at the first attempt, and just springs back resulting in the unit falling onto the dashboard, the operation has to be repeated several times before it sticks. The on/off button is located at the back of the unit, top right hand corner. Having stuck the unit on up against the windscreen it's almost impossible to get your fingers behind to turn the darned thing on! I've had this unit for a month now and have been misdirected a couple of times. My old "Tom Tom One" of 8 yrs never put a foot wrong! I haven't been able to update the maps yet as I have an Apple computer that is not compatible with Tom Tom software, again, disappointing. Upgrading the maps may well sort out the couple of misdirections I have had.

I am perhaps being a little picky about the hardware, but the software is great. Hardware gets 3 stars and software gets 5 stars, result, a 4 star rating.
22 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 July 2014
Great piece of kit, but let down by the update situation. Having followed instruction to register it , the device said all ok, but Tomtom's site said 2 updates available download now. I am on broad band so reasonably fast , however after 40 yes 40 hours I gave up and asked my computer expert to have a look. He eventually took it back to his workshop and managed to retrieve the maps that had been erased and then do the update, it still took quite a few hours and obviously I had to pay Not a good start and I am wondering what will happen when the next map updates become available