Collections
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 April 2013
Delphic are one of those often frustrating bands with an excellent, bold live sound but whose albums often don't match that same level of volume or intensity. Lacking a live drummer, the electronic beats don't support the intricate keyboards or driving rhythms that the songs are asking of them, and despite some good, experimental diversions throughout this as the band push their style envelope out, they remain a group best experienced on stage rather than on disc.
on 31 March 2013
Like most people who bought this album, I have listened to Acolyte so many times over the last few years, was lucky enough to see them live in Bristol last year and was seriously looking forward to this being released.

Pre-ordered and turned up the day after release, the couple of reviews I had read worried me and after the first listen I could hear why. It is so different to almost be a different band, which to be fair is what they have said they were trying to do, that my expectations meant I was disappointed at first.

But Acolyte blew me away, so this album needed to be listened to over an extended period to try and work out whether it was any good. After two months of on and off listening I think it is pretty damn good actually, several of the tracks are excellent, opener Of the young followed by Baiya are cracking and the Sun also rises could turn out to be a classic, I certainly turn it up loud when it comes on.

In conclusion it isn't Acolyte, an album I continue to push on friends at every opportunity, but on its own merit is worth listening to and letting the tracks get under your skin. Last point I think there could be a cracking remix album hiding in their as well.
on 26 December 2014
I played it but it failed to hold my attention unlike Acolyte which is much more original in its sound. Collections feels relatively pedestrian.
on 7 March 2014
I was really looking forward to this album i thought their first one was brilliant. But this doesnt come close to the first really disappointed. It turned up ok though no problems there
on 4 September 2013
There's a few stand out tracks and the fact they've tried some new things are to be commended. However, I don't think it's an album I'll keep wanting to revisit
on 3 February 2013
Isn't it in the nature of truly great artists to break new ground? I believe Delphic are truly great artists - this from someone who would never have heard of them had it not been for their appearance on 'Later, with Jools...'(but that's another story I won't bore you with). 'Collections' is a fabulous album. It would have been 'safe' for them to release 'Acolyte mk 2' as another reviewer has suggested. I'm so glad they didn't do this and released what is fast becoming my most played this year (and we're only in February!!). I cannot get enough of this album. My only gripe is the rapping, but that is because I'm not a big fan of modern rap (give me Grand Master Flash any day!). As with any music it is up to the listener to decide whether he or she likes an album or not. I happen to think this album is a major achievement in the progression of Delphic's music. I eagerly await their next.
3 people found this helpful
on 15 March 2013
I don't write many album reviews but have to say I cannot believe so many people don't like this album...personally I think it is one of my favourite albums of the last few years and some tracks I just want to listen to over and over again!...especially the first half of the album with 'Freedom Found' a masterpiece.

Well done Delphic, I fully appreciate this album and will be listening to it for many months/years to come but understand we all have our own opinion...for me a classic!!!
on 3 April 2013
Oops! its that difficult 2nd album. And the 1st was hard to follow. So what do you do? Something different, that's what. Problem is that alienates some of your more conservative fans.

This is a GOOD album. Its not weak, and its certainly not rubbish. Not as good as the first, and not what some people were expecting. But it still displays the intelligence and inventiveness of a creative group. Not quite four stars but not far off.

Don't be put off by the naysayers! I wasn't and no regrets......

Ps. guys - you owe me a beer
on 21 February 2013
I'm stunned .... I absolutely loved Acolyte and was really looking forward to the follow up. I can understand that bands have to move on and develop their sound, but this is just terrible. Two half decent songs, Of The Young and Baiya ... the rest is a confused collection of musical styles, over done and simply dreadful.
3 people found this helpful
on 9 April 2013
Bought this as I was going to see them in concert and wanted to be familiar with the latest tunes. Not as instantly catchy as Acolyte but the tracks grow on you.