VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 April 2015
4.5 stars

I'm a total Kate Daniels fan girl but for some reason it's taken me a long time to get around to reading Ilona & Gordon Andrews' Edge series. I have no excuses for why that is and the only reason I'm glad I waited is that the entire series is already in my hands just waiting for me to finish devouring it. I expect this review is going to turn into gushing fan girl praise of this couple and their writing, they always create such brilliant and interesting worlds and they populate them with the best characters too. They excel at writing strong female heroines who are capable of kicking arse and standing on their own two feet, and I don't think I've come across one of their heroes who hasn't made me swoon.

We were introduced to William in On the Edge so I was already half in love with his character, he's just such a sweet guy and learning about his upbringing was heartbreaking. He's never had a family of his own or much of a childhood even and it wasn't until he met Rose and her brothers that he realised what he had been missing. William dreams of having a family but he doesn't feel it is something he deserves or that he'll ever be able to have so he tries to put a brave face on things and lock that dream away. William meets Cerise when he is sent on a mission for the Mirror, he is on the hunt for an old enemy and determined to make him pay for the crimes he has committed but it looks like Cerise and her family may hold the key to finding him.

Cerise and her family are just trying to survive, we've already seen how difficult life is in the Edge but for the Mars it is worse than normal. They come from an old Edge family and have a large amount of land but they have a lot of mouths to feed and very little in the way of income. Cerise has taken on the burden of trying to look after her family since her parents disappeared but it isn't easy and things are made even harder by an ongoing feud they have with another local family. Cerise is struggling to keep their heads above water but she's determined and there is no way she's going to give up without a fight so her enemies better watch out.

I loved the romance between Cerise and William, this series is far more focused on the action and the world building than the romance which is something I love about it but I still enjoyed the slow burn between them and the way they gradually come to trust in each other. Both have reasons to be wary but their temporary alliance soon becomes something much more important. I can't believe I haven't even mentioned Cerise's family yet! Another thing the Andrews' excel at is creating eccentric family members and really strong family dynamics. We are introduced to some great secondary characters here and I wanted to spend more time with all of them which just shows how much fun they are.

Bayou Moon is full of action, we get to learn a lot more about the world than we did in the first book and we find out more about the Weird politics and how that effects the Edgers. I was hoping that Rose and Declan would make more of an appearance in this story but we do get to catch up with them towards the end and it was nice to see how they, along with Jack and George, are getting on. This series is fast becoming another favourite of mine and I can't wait to see what happens in Kaldar's story.
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 March 2015
This is unusual and compelling fantasy set in an alternative world where there are three regions - the Broken (our standard world with no magic), the Weird (a magic world) and the Edge (the bits in between). This is the second book set in the Edge but it can be read as a stand alone.

William is a changeling who has been given a mission to perform in the Edge. Because of his shapeshifting nature he is a bit of an outsider and has a difficult life where he has been honed as a weapon by one faction in the Weird against another. Cerise is now, by default, the head of a large Edge family. She needs to travel to the Broken to establish the family's right to a property which has been taken over by rivals. Cerise and William meet as they are each making their way through a swamp and back into the Edge - they have a journey to make together where they don't trust each other and where almost everybody and everything is out to hurt them.

This is like a twisted fairytale and is engaging because the author has created a fascinating environment in which to set her story. The physical environment of the Edge with its swamp and other dangers is brilliantly portrayed as is the lawless society which has been established there. The characters she places in this world are compelling. Cerise has a scary and dysfunctional family and William has had a deprived and abusive upbringing. Cerise can cope with most things in the Edge and William can handle most things in the world that he understands. There are some creepy siblings for Cerise, a truly frightening villain and lots of other dangers.

I really enjoyed this fantasy novel. It is certainly different from anything that I have read recently and I became immersed in the world that the author has created and the story that she tells. I have read the first of these books and, although I enjoyed it a lot, I think that this one is better. I look forward to reading the third.
on 14 October 2010
Bayou Moon is the second book in The Edge series by husband and wife writing team, Ilona and Andrew Gordon under the pseudonym Ilona Andrews. Ilona and Gordon's Kate Daniels series is one of my favourite series full stop, so of course when they started The Edge series, it was a must read for me. The first book, On The Edge, was very good and I loved it, but it is very different to the Kate series. While reading On The Edge I had a feeling, much as I liked it, that (rather like the Kate series actually) that I'd enjoy book 2 even more. I wasn't wrong, I adored this one!!

Bayou Moon follows William, the wolf changeling from On The Edge, in his continued hunt for his old enemy Spider. He was quite possibly my favourite character from OTE, despite not being the main role or the hero of the story. He's so deeply damaged, no family, a trained killer, someone who wants nothing more than a family of his own. There is something heartbreaking about reading the first chapter of this book, seeing him playing with the action figures he's bought himself to try and have some of the childhood he was denied.

William is hunting Spider in the Edge when his path crosses that of Cerise Mar. The Mar's are land rich but cash poor and her parents, head of the family, have just disappeared. It's thought that their long term rivals are responsible, but she soon learns that Spider has a hand in it as well. Cerise has to lead her family against their rivals knowing not everyone will survive. She realises William will be a valuable asset going up against Spider, but with sparks flying between them and secrets that could ruing everything, nothing is simple.

I didn't have any problems getting in to this book, I was hooked from the start. It's written in third person, mostly from William and Cerise's POV's but the occasional snippet from others as well gives a fuller view of what's going on. I already loved William and my love for him just grew through the book. Cerise is a new character to the series and it didn't take me long at all to like her as well. She's pretty awesome actually. She's completely dedicated to her family, smart, brave and a hell of a fighter. Cerise is no damsel in distress and I love her for it. I love her snark and how she insists on calling William 'Lord Bill' despite his constant 'it's William'. So funny watching them rile each other up. The chemistry between them was played pretty perfectly. Misunderstandings crop up as well as some big secrets and while my heart ached for them at times, they were just as likely to crack me up with their attempts at flirtation.

But the romance is only half the plot. The other half is taken up with Cerise's hunt to get her parents back, and William's determination to find and kill Spider. There is plenty of action and tension as they try to figure out exactly what's going on, what Spider is after and such. I was hanging on the story all the way through wanting, needing, to know what happened and if either or both of them would succeed in their aims, and of course if they'd manage to make things work between them.

Like all of Ilona and Gordon's books it's a vividly drawn story with such well rounded characters that I find easy to care about. One thing that shines very brightly through their books is the semblance of family. Children/teens and parental type roles don't play a big role in urban fantasy/paranormal romance etc. books, but it's an aspect I always feel adds something extra, something more real to a book. It's a complex issue to add though and it doesn't always work, but so far Ilona and Gordon have gotten it spot on every time and Bayou Moon is no exception. I love the family relationships in it and how they change and grow with the issues faced.

Another big hit from a favourite author. Bayou Moon is spectacular, intense, sweet and funny as well. The mix of magic and real world felt more settled and solid than it did in On The Edge, maybe just because I already understood the world, but whatever the reason, it did feel more solid than book one. It was fantastic from beginning to end and let some interesting things open for future books. I can't wait!
on 27 November 2010
The world of The Edge is an interesting one. Modern-day life is juxtaposed with an almost wild-west setting and also with a more traditional fantasy setting. The Broken is mundane earth - technology rules and there is no magic. Then there is The Weird - full of magic and shape shifters and mystical creatures. Sandwiched between is a sort of buffer zone - The Edge. People who live in The Edge have some magic, but not enough to keep them from entering The Broken. They forge a life for themselves much as did our pioneer ancestors.

The setting of Bayou Moon intrigued me from the beginning. Being a Louisiana girl, I appreciated the swamp setting and I knew exactly what she meant when she said it had an almost primeval beauty. Something I've liked about both Edge books is the almost "old world" setting - if you back-stab an Edger or renege on a deal they aren't likely to call the law, but might shoot you, instead. It just seems like a simpler world, in some ways - even though a more dangerous one.

The hero of Bayou Moon is William Wolf. William is a changeling - a lot of his thought processes aren't like a "typical" man's. Well, maybe they are... he does tend to be pretty straight-forward. Regarding his feelings toward Cerise, the heroine, he's just adorable. Cerise, on the other hand, is tough, a great fighter, and every bit a match for William though she does need to work on trust issues.

The over-arching story is one of betrayal and revenge. Another Mire family, the Sheeriles, has sold out Cerise's parents to agents of The Hand from Louisiana (a territory in the Weird, not the state) and is planning on annihilating her family. Not only does Cerise have to worry about putting an end to a generations-long feud with the Sheeriles, but she's also got to rescue her parents from the ruthless Hand. The clock is ticking.

Andrews does a great job of mixing action, danger, humor and romance in this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. As a note, I think it's possible to enjoy Bayou Moon even if you haven't read On the Edge (Book 1), although as part of a series reading the previous books always adds to the experience. I originally thought these books were going to be Urban Fantasy similar to the Kate Daniels / Mercy Thompson books, but it looks like they are going to fall into the Paranormal Romance category since it seems like we'll be getting a new Hero / heroine in each installment. I have no problem with that, personally, and would recommend this book to any fan of Paranormal Romance or an Urban Fantasy fan who doesn't mind a bit of romance in the mix.

Reviewed for The Romance Reviews
on 23 December 2014
I usually read books by Gena Showalter, Kresley Cole, Nalini Singh... etc. So anyway, I decided to try this author after some recommendations. Besides, this is a best-selling author, so it should be good.

Once I started reading, I found the plot quite well thought out, the storyline is good, and the characters have a good potential to be those you would remember for a while. However, halfway through the story, my attention started to wander. When I reached the end of the story, I have to admit to being disappointed.

One thing that stood out was the lack of humor. For a story this long, I felt like there should be some. The 'mood' within the story is mostly depressing and it didn't help that I don't feel a connection to the main characters, maybe due to the lack of good character development. The female main character started off as a potential kick-ass girl, but towards the end, she seemed more like a helpless, moaning girl. The male main character was just... forgettable. Some of the battle scenes were drawn out by the inclusion of non-main-character fights, whilst one final battle involving the main character was summarised curtly.

To be honest, I probably would not have finished the book if not for the fact that I paid for it, and was hoping that it would get better towards the end.
on 16 November 2010
Illona Andrews is a husband and wife writing team that have produced the funny and popular Kate Daniels Series.
Bayou Moon is the second of 'The Edge' novels.
The first novel 'On the Edge' established The Edge as a place between our world of The Broken and the world of Magic, The Weird.
Bayou Moon takes the story of William the Wolf and expands it for us, in the first book he is lonely and outcast searching for a family.
In Bayou Moon he is coopted by the Weird and the nation he once served's spymaster on a mission against the enemy and their search for a weapon to destroy the other nations of The Weird. William heads out the the swamp lands of the Edge, meeting Cerise Mar.
Cerise is on a quest to save her parents who have mysteriously dissapeared on a visit to her Grandparents' abadoned house. A rival clan turns up claming it as sold to them. She ventures to the Broken to find a relative with copies of papers of ownership. On the way back she and William collide and become involved in family secrets and a war between the nations of the Weird.

I love Illona Andrews, they throw in random and incredibly funny moments with imaginative and descriptive storytelling with engaging and likable characters.
Illona is Russian and I think the darkness of Russian Fiction here is combined with her partners style to create a unique and fabulous world.
This book may be billed as a romance but it's not the main theme of the book, it's far from any zebra or harlequin style story. The love story is a main theme but it's an add on to a woven tapestry of adventure, magic, discovery, family and secrets.

If you enjoy their previous works then give this book a go, if not then you don't have to read the first novel to get into the story. I like that we do meet the characters of the first novel so it does some added dimension.

I will be continuing to follow Illona Andrews and suggest that you do too.
on 1 November 2012
Like many others I too had doubts as to whether the Ilona Andrews team should abandon Kate, Curran and the rest to set up a new series set in the Edge. I still don't quite get the Edge, the Weird and the Broken but it just doesn't matter as the stories are great. I love series and these are not per se a series as they each cover an individual couple and very much have a start and a conclusion (no bad thing). However, they do introduce recurrent characters which ties them together and lets you see how earlier protagonists are getting on in life.
As regards Bayou Moon I really enjoyed the swamp feel and enjoyed both Cerise and William - it is of course a much better read when the heroine really doesn't need protecting or saving but IA are managing to write incredible Paranormal Romance rather than Urban Fantasy. I also liked the Mirror and the Hand - both spy organisations where one is possibly slightly more acceptable as it doesn't fuse things to people to enhance them and also send them mad.
I'm very happy with how IA are developing the Edge and I will read more.
on 1 October 2017
I am perhaps being a little unfair in giving this three stars because I did enjoy the book. The book is very much in the genre of brave and interesting girl falling for dark saturnine hero who turns out to be a vampire/a werewolf/a halfbreed/an elf-lord/Mr Darcy. On this occasion it is an misunderstood werewolf on this occasion. The problem for me as that (a) as a middle aged man, I am probably not the primary target readership for this genre, and (b) it is a bit of a cliché within this series, let alone the wider genre.
I do like the continuity that runs through the series with characters developing across the books, and the book is well paced.
on 27 October 2013
Changeling William takes the lead role in this fantasy romance series, and finds his match in Cerise; a tough but vulnerable woman handling a heap load of responsibility. They may meet by chance, but soon the pair are involved in the other's quest. Cerise is determined to track down her missing parents, keep the rest of her headstrong family in line and end a generations old feud. William is working undercover to obtain an item deemed dangerous in the wrong hands. If he's lucky, he'll hopefully meet his enemy the Hand, and third time lucky he'll manage to kill him.

William and Cerise aren't looking for love, but it slaps the pair of them in the face and leaves them reeling. Neither have the time for a romance, neither see a future together, yet perhaps if they survive the coming fight they may just have a chance of a happy ever after.

The romance works well, the dialogue has elements of wry humour, there's plenty of action during some tense battle scenes and a smorgasbord of magic. William is deliciously wolfy whist Cerise proves an equally capable killer when the situation arises. There are some gory and violent parts to the story line (I didn't know what was more horrible; fusion or the hand's freakish private army) but this adds to the escalating tension.
on 12 September 2015
I bought this series years ago after finding Ilona Andrews and the 'Kate Daniels' series. I loved Kate et al and thought it was a better series than 'The Edge' but after reading and re-reading the 4 'Edge' books repeatedly I'm not so sure - sorry 'Kate' die-hard fans but I especially loved books 2 and 4 of the 'Edge' Series.
I love William and Cerise as 'partners'. Rose and Declan (especially in future books as side characters) always make me think that Declan is 'the man' and Rose is the 'little woman', even if she is lethal! - but William and Cerise are equal.
This can be quite a dark book but it shows family pulling together in adversity. And I just love William and Cerise (have I mentioned that already!)