on 16 December 2013
I purchased this server to run VMware

I purchased 16GIG RAM and a 3TB Hard drive and installed without any issue.

I installed VMware esxi without any problems. I then installed MS Server 2012ENT; MS 2008 Server ENT and Linux Server 64. I am totally surprised at how quickly it boots up 2012.

For the price this is a great little kit
VINE VOICEon 14 February 2014
Other posters have covered getting the £50/£100 from HP. As for the unit itself -

1) I set it up with Windows Vista 32 bit (yes, really!) which didn't recognise the NIC and video card. They are Broadcom and ATI Mobility Radeon 4200 devices, and you can get drivers for 32-bit OS direct from the manufacture's web-site if you don't want to install a 64 bit Server OS and get drivers from HP.
2) You definitely need to flash the BIOS, mine was shipped with a 2011 BIOS
3) The standard 2Gb of RAM is way too small, I picked up another 2Gb 2nd hand, but new ECC RAM in 8Gb sticks is costly!
4) The shipped 250Gb disk is very, very slow IMHO. I plan to image it to an SSD and swap it out.
5) There is space for an optical disk, but you need to supply your own SATA cable and Molex-SATA power adaptor
6) Getting the unit apart the first time can be fiddly, the 'thumb-screws' were tight as a drum
7) As shipped, one of the 4 bays is occupied by the boot disk. AFAIK you can install a boot disk where the optical disk would go, but it runs as an IDE not AHCI port so is quite slow
8) I had no issues adding 3Tb WD hard drives in the cage
9) The video output is VGA, but with the ATI Catalyst I was able to get it to 1920x1080, 32bit colour
10) The on-board NIC is gigabit, I was only seeing 100 until I realised my switch was a 10/100 item, upgraded that sorted everything.
77 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 September 2014
I really thought this was a great buy i installed in the separate pull out bays two, three terabyte red hard drives, (with two spare bays) and a 16 gig USB on the motherboard with Ubuntu server and Plex installed. It's practically silent and very coo.l It's using an average just under 50 watts of power. Overall it's a well built case and you can put a dust filter in the door.
on 26 October 2014
Love this, holds up to four 3TB Drives, and you may be able to install another drive in the optical bay, though haven't tried this. Mine is used for a media server linking with multiple Raspberry Pi's and for this it works flawlessly! I have also upgraded mine to 10GB RAM and I would advise anyone with one of these to do the same as performance increase is noticeable!
on 12 April 2014
Wanted a server to replace my Netgear stora and this was an excellent choice especially taking into consideration the £100 HP cash back!

I have added extra drives, more memory (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0069RXHF8/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_2) and it is now running VMWare vsphere 5.1 and XPEnology .

It's taken a little time to set up, but there are lots of tutorials and guides available.

([...])

Great service from Amazon and The IT-Group.
on 29 May 2014
Brilliant size, really good build quality. As it is so small can be a little fiddly to remove motherboard so you can change memory but as you only need to do this the once it's not a big issue. Seems a shame the onboard SATA port does not support AHCI with the standard HP bios, it has the capability with a hacked bios so don't really understand why they just didn't include it.
on 19 May 2015
It's a great server, I have this server up and running since last year. Very easy to upgrade, very well build and designed, it's perfect for home and small offices
on 11 November 2014
I love this product. I upgraded the ram and installed 3TB and HDMI video card.
Using it as a home media server and its also connected to a 84" projector.

I would recommend.

One thing this product did not include vat as it was shipped from abroad. Probably said it somewhere so my bad. Just wanted to make other people aware.
on 2 April 2014
It works really well! No problems installing lubuntu on it (however, I couldn't get it to install from usb, but that wasn't important) it's really quick and easy to use. The server is very quiet, the only noise you can hear is the hum of the hard drives (if you put solid state drives in, it'll be silent!)
Couldn't have hoped for better!
on 15 March 2016