on 14 February 2014
I successfully upgraded my Dell XP Professional SP3 to Windows 8.1. The upgrade was delivered next day using standard postage and had a nicely designed pack containing two DVDs for 32 and 64-bit systems and a credit card sized licence key. The installation was very straight forward without any problems.

With my new version running I am ignoring the tile page as it is of little help and removed the unwanted apps, most of them, and added a tile for the desktop and configured the system to start up with the desktop view. I found that all my personal files and the old windows user files still existed so there was no need to copy files from my back up copy – I had previously backed up all my personal files as a precaution.

The PC runs if anything faster that the old XP – applications start fast with no delay, so I’m very happy that the upgrade went so well and was so easy.

Previously I had ran the “Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant” to check what would and wouldn’t work. The report was good and few applications would need attention – that is but one. Despite the report showing that ‘Microsoft Office XP Professional’ had no negative comment the ‘Microsoft Outlook’ email organiser version 2002 does not work with Win 8.1 and I have had to use an alternative. I can’t justify the cost of a new version and sadly I must say goodbye to the program I have used everyday since 2002. So that was a serious disappointment.

Apart from that – all good and recommended.
11 Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 September 2015
Nightmare when upgrading from Vista which I liked. Did this because vista is not supported in 2017 & only has explorer 9. Tried to backup on an external hard drive but didn't work. Think details can be saved on the hard drive called a ghost C when installing 8 but not sure. Lost E Mail, contacts & other bits & pieces as some things operate different in 8. May be I didn't do it right. With a bit of tweaking it should soon be ok. Managed to get a start button as before which makes it easy to navigate around. I didn't do it but I know its possible. PC runs much faster & no buffering. Can upgrade free to 8.1 or 10. Think I will let the dust settle before any more adventures.
on 21 March 2014
The windows upgrade version was ordered on line and the disc was received in the time the suppliers stated.
It was easy to load and the new system is up and running even better than before, hence the reason for the rating given.
I have no hesitation in recommending this product.
on 21 June 2015
As windows 8 it sucked, but the free update to 8.1 revives the operating system and makes it usable, maybe even good. Anyone looking to upgrade your system now though should wait for the free (for anyone on win 7+) upgrade to windows 10 comming end of Julyish.
on 30 May 2015
There is something odd here. I had upgraded another PC about a year ago easily with software from another vendor but so far I have spent over 7 hours online with Microsoft trying to sort out problems with registration.
on 17 September 2015
Received, loaded and running - I now look forward to 8.1 & 10...
on 26 March 2015
Not bootable so doesn't repair when needed. Typical Microsoft.
on 25 October 2015
A nightmare to load without loosing everything then I had to upgrade again to 8.1 as windows 8 was rubbish windows 8.1 not good come back XP.
on 20 November 2014
as described, all installed, no problems, pleased with purchase
on 30 May 2016
Good service and good price