Customer reviews

Out Of Touch In The Wild
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 20 January 2013
What a mixture! The album starts out almost funky (including even some slap bass) and then brings in lots of beautifully arranged strings and piano and even some Steve Reich type guitar licks - eat your heart out Pat Methany! Vocally very varied as well. Some similarity to Field Music maybe and perhaps to Low but they really do create their own unique sound - quite an achievement in this day and age. This is fighting with Everything Everything's brilliant Arc for space on my CD player as I write and I can assure you that is high praise indeed! Loses a star only because, being an old fashioned CD fan, the print design is very poor with all the text in white out of very busy background, so accordingly barely legible including the lyrics and even the track listing on the back cover - so you might as well buy it on MP3. But please do buy it if you like clever melodic indie.
6 people found this helpful
on 28 January 2013
Great album. Quite short but very memorable. Like a cross between Sparks and Hot Chip with a large dose of Field Music thrown in. The songs are very enjoyable and they do like to play with the rhythm, building layers of syncopated sound. Some of the timings seems to repeat across the album, just with different instruments.
Very cool.
on 16 January 2013
Purveyors of prog pop, what a wonderful thing.

Beautiful album from start to finish. Proving Manchester isn't just producing Neanderthal-like trash, from the likes of Liam's Gallagher and Frey.

Buy it, listen to it, love it.

And check out the video for Flexxin, the best dance moves you will ever witness.
7 people found this helpful
on 15 July 2013
I listened to the tracks early in the year and it was only when I listened to them a second and third time I realised how good this album is.

They are supporting Everything Everything later this year and their music is not a million miles away, so if you like 'Arc' you'll probably like this
on 20 May 2014
I previously purchased Cadenza by Dutch Uncles. This offering from the boys though was just a cut above it. Really good stuff.
on 14 June 2014
It is beyond me how this didn't make the top 10 albums list of most critics. A really good album from start to finish with angled grooves and awesome time changes!
on 27 May 2013
This is a very underrated album. It's quite 'poppy' in places but don't let that put you off. There are touches of Alt-j and 2 Door Cinema Club but it's a very good album indeed.
on 23 February 2013
Dutch Uncles are one amazing band, and this is one amazing album.
Surely a contender for the Mercury Prize this year.
on 16 February 2013
Some great hooks, and excellent instrumental passages, lovely use of violins, cellos and marimba mixed in with funky bass lines and intertwining guitars.
VINE VOICEon 28 January 2013
Interesting to read another reviewer mention the 70's glam rock band Sparks.That was my thought when I first heard the vocals and the jaunty synths. There's all sorts going on here for me,bits of Steely Dan,Stornaway,the New Romantics. Nothing wrong with plundering your musical heritage though. I've heard the band compared to Alt-J and Everything Everything? I must admit, when I first heard Alt-J they had a much bigger impact than this band. I think that's down to stronger songwriting craftsmanship and arrangements. No individual tracks here jump out for me and as a whole,it all sounds a bit much of a muchness. I keep playing it and hoping it will be an album which grows on me but so far it's not happening.Perhaps Dutch Uncles need to re-visit Sparks' 1974 album Kimono my House and hone their songwriting skills to that standard.