on 11 November 2016
Loved this book, read it years ago and lost it. Reordered and enjoyed once more.
on 16 July 2015
Quick service - Good read
on 16 August 2008
I ordered this because I wanted to find out more about Ian McEwan, which I did. However I found the story of the brother's life really interesting in itself. It brought back many of my own and my husband's memories of bygone days, particularly of the 1950's and 1960's. There are some very sad moments in this book,as it's about the abandonment of a child. There's also a lot of traditional English humour! The quest to find his family and the amazing wartime history is just an added bonus. Highly recommended.
on 28 April 2013
i have been through a similar experience having found three of my blood family. This book so accurately described feelings that I had not been able to vocalise - so much so that I asked my daughter to read it so that she understood some of what I was going through. Excellently written - made me laugh but also made me cry. Didnt want to put it down
on 3 September 2013
I was interested in the story of the child given away but the long drawn out parts of a "brikkies" world and the football bits I found very drawn out I was flicking through the pages to get back to the story which in itself was interesting.
on 6 March 2013
very moving book..excellent read and hard to put down..recommended!..Dave Sharp had me gripped...you will be too!..it will make you so grateful for your parents.
on 15 June 2012
One of the most poignant books I have read in a long time - real mix of emotions talking about child abandonment to finding a family he never knew existed. Lots of humour within the sadness. Would recommend highly.
on 2 February 2013
Not many books have brought me close to tears, but this one has and for the right reasons. A story well worth reading.
on 3 July 2013
I purchased this book after reading a section detailing how the author was handed over on a train station to unknown people who wished to adopt him. My sister was handed over as a baby in much the same circumstances and the book was typical of how information was kept from children by adopted parents out of fear of loosing them. It appeared factual and although the author had a happy upbringing, being told earlier in his life he had siblings might have made his life even better. The story was well written and brought back memories of how I searched for my sister and eventually found her 60 years of age living in Australia where she had been taken as a child.
on 12 May 2013
A really lovely book about fairly ordinary people. Times were different and values a reflection of that. So glad it was not another 'woe is me' abused childhood tale. A lovely balanced and well thought out book.