on 29 March 2013
I think that Chris Carter is a really good writter he know's his stuff and is able to write about it with great wisdom. He get's into the mind set of his characters and brings them scarily to life. I have read all of his books and greedily wait for the next one to be published.
on 27 March 2013
Great read, just love Chris carter, his descriptions are so vivid, it conjures up great (if not sometimes disturbing) images to the reader. Would really suggest reading all of this authors books.
on 6 April 2013
Been a while since I read Chris Carter, but his style and speed are still there. If you liked his previous books then this is a must.
on 22 March 2013
Lets get this straight. The book itself is really really good. Super story, well written as we've come to expect from Chris Carter.

I just wish I'd twigged earlier how much of a short story this was, as I must have overlooked it in the blurb. Only to be really disappointed when it came to such a quick end.
on 28 June 2016
I've read the first 4 books of the Robert Hunter series so far and absolutely loved them. Definitely one of my favourite Crime/Thriller series I've read. This little novella, it's only about 50 pages if that, not the 76 stated. The other 20 odd pages are a preview of Crucifix Killer, the first full novel of the series. It's a really good introduction to Robert Hunter and how he become a well respected Homicide Detective. There's no real gore or drama that you get in the other books, nor should it be. There's a crime, Hunter's the new Rookie detective, people are skeptical of him, he goes beyond people's expectations of him and solves the case better than anyone else could've done. It's nothing amazing. However, if you're like me and have read all/most of the books in this series thus far and just wanted something extra, some more details of Hunter's life before the timeline of the first book, this is for you. It's only takes about half an hour to read. What's there to lose?
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 August 2014
This short prequel is a great introduction to Detective Robert Hunter; his first day and case with LAPD homicide. It's a must read for fans of later books following this complex and compelling character. It's very short, less than 30 minutes to read around 60pp, but all the ingredients for a first rate crime thriller are there. A body in a locked room is an apparent suicide, but is that the way Hunter will view the scene and what mystery has to be solved. Really enjoyed this neat little taster.
on 15 June 2016
Chris Carter is a master of his own genre. Every book I read just hooks me in even more and I can't wait for the next one to come out! He's the only one that makes me check every nook and crook in the house in the middle of the night. If you like an insight into an evil mind and like being scared, Chris Carter is a must!
on 4 December 2014
A good, albeit very short foray into the classic crime locked room puzzle genre. Although very interesting and entertaining and worthy of more than two stars, I have had to mark it down. The reason is simple, too many acronyms used. I am actually surprised that a great writer such as Chris Carter is actually using all these acronyms at all, they just spoil and cheapen the value of this book, undoing all his good work. Imagine something like this, (although this was not taken from this book.) The PERP killed the VIC in his SUV and left ASAP before the LAPD detective, the ME and the CSI team arrived at the crime scene. Ridiculous way to read books really, any self respecting author should know that.
on 11 June 2015
This is a very good introductory story to Detective Hunter.
I gave a five star rating because the book is writing in such a way as to make it extremely readable, it's not convoluted and the plot makes sense.
I would recommend this (and the other books by Chris Carter) to fans of crime fiction looking to start a new series and don't mind a bit of gory detail when it comes to the murder scenes. I very much doubt that people who like Agatha Christie novels will enjoy this.
on 27 July 2014
I grabbed this short story after reading and reviewing another of Chris Carter's novels in the Robert Hunter series, I was keen for more brilliant writing and crime solving.

This is a short ebook, 80 pages long, so I read it really quickly. Robert Hunter is sent to investigate what has been reported as a suicide, but with his keen eyes of deduction and ability to think outside the box, Robert sees more at the scene that doesn't add up.

I can't say TOO much about this short book as obviously it would spoil it, but it's well written, I really am a new fan of Chris Carter and think he writes this genre really well. If you are a fan also, or are just looking for a short, solid, interesting crime thriller then grab this one, you won't be let down.

Keep up the great writing Chris! 4 Stars.