Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos

on 13 February 2013
I have just watched this charming series for the first time and it is just about perfect. I say 'just about' because, like so many BBC programmes, series two has been lost in the annals of time - not that it affects the overall enjoyment of this series which is essentially about a young couple who have just got married, setting up home together. Richard Briers and Prunella Scales both provide wonderful performances and from everything that can be seen here it is no surprise that they went on to be such stalwarts of British TV sitcoms. Funny and touching in equal measure - well worth buying even, if like me, you weren't around 50 years ago to remember it.
on 5 February 2013
Not sure a tv show can get anymore classic than this, yet the humour still feels completely fresh. Also worth a look is the interview with Richard Briers and Prunella Scales. Entertainment Gold!
MARRIAGE LINES was a comedy series produced by the BBC from the early to mid 1960s, a pleasantly simple & dated yet fairly charming series which follows the early tentative steps along the marital road of newlyweds George & Kate Starling (Richard Briers & Prunella Scales). A fairly whimsical look at a young couple adapting to married life & eventually starting a family. The performances are excellent... Early in their TV careers, Richard Briers & Prunella Scales slip into their characters with consummate ease, while Christine Finn is equally impressive as the Starling's next-door neighbour.

It's the type of cosy, middle-class comedy the Beeb do so well, so why only 3-stars?... I know I'm gonna get slaughtered for this, as although I found it to be pleasant and gentle enough entertainment, when compared to other reviewers here (at the moment) I just didn't find it particularly funny & only occasionally amusing - maybe leaning more towards light drama perhaps? I love vintage TV comedy, but for me there just wasn't enough wit or biting satire in the writing or scripts. I know this was half a century ago, but when compared to other black & white 60s TV productions such as "Hancock's Half Hour" "Steptoe & Son" as well as "The Likely Lads" it was just a little too twee for my liking. With almost every sentence punctuated with the word "darling", the audience (or canned laughter) were in stitches at the sight of something burning in the oven, as well as George stubbing his toe in a very contrived manner. A nice, inoffensive series but not one I will be returning to for quite a while. Give me "The Good Life" "Fawlty Towers" and "Ever Decreasing Circles" every time!

As with many BBC productions of the era, the series is incomplete (presumably 'lost' or 'wiped' as is often the case) so what we have here is the surviving seventeen, 25-minute episodes which make up series one and three. For those who own any of the Beeb's DVD releases of "Hancock's Half Hour" "Adam Adamant Lives" or early black & white episodes of "Steptoe & Son" you will have a fair idea of what to expect on this Acorn Media release - very grainy B/W picture quality with OK/acceptable sound. The product info is also correct - there ARE English subtitles. Amongst the picture galleries and Richard Briers/Prunella Scales filmographies, we have a very nice 20-minute Q&A reunion interview with Richard & Prunella. The 3 discs are stored in a single-size DVD case.
on 24 March 2013
I was around fifty years ago and can remember watching this on tv its just as good now loved it
on 13 April 2013
I NEVER SAW IT FIRST TIME ROUND. SO I WAS INTRIGUED. LOVELY SIMPLE STORYS. BUT DELIVERY BY BOTH STARS WAS A DELIGHT. THAT IS WHY WE KEEP WATCHING 40 YEAR OLD COMEDIES. EVEN 100 YEAR OLD FILMS MAKE US LAUGH. TODAY OUR HUMOUR IS DARK, DIRESPECFUL AND VIOLENT. I FOUND THE SERIES VERY ENJOYABLE.
on 11 May 2013
Well when you see the young Richard Briers you just know that he will mature into a great comedy performer and a wonderful human being.
on 4 May 2013
Happy memories revived. Although a little dated when viewed several Decades after it was first broadcast it holds up very, very well. I am so glad I bought it, so will you if you do likewise.
on 18 December 2013
I am not sure as am keeping it for Christmas but think the actors etc are amazing and all the films they are in are great.
on 15 June 2016
Maybe in black and white. But I laughed till I cried fantastic. Series buy it you wont be sorry
British comedy at its best Prunella looks great
on 26 November 2015
After having listened to this on the radio I was keen to buy the DVD. Jolly good entertainment.