Customer reviews

Christmas Deliverance (a Novella)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 8 May 2013
Why have I not read this author's work before? For I already have a couple of her books sitting on my 'to read' list and just never got around to them until this one. And that's only because it's Christmas and I'm currently reading through my festive tales at the moment, so without this incentive to pick up Christmas Deliverance then I might have missed out on finding a new author to me that I can really relate to in terms of her brilliant 'down to earth' writing style. I thought the premise of the novella was excellent, about a family coming together over the holiday period but not really knowing what is going on with each of their lives beforehand and then totally jumping to the wrong conclusions until all is revealed and secrets told and renewed bonds are made. It was well laid-out in the way that it gave us the characters individual stories in the buildup before going home to Mum, where one almighty misunderstanding takes place that affects everyone involved for different reasons. I agree with other reviewers who've expressed a wish that this was a full-length novel instead of being a shorter piece because I didn't want it to end so soon and would dearly love to read about this family of characters again, in perhaps a future work if the author chooses to write it then I will read it. And you can bet that I will be sure to read those other books by Amanda Egan now that I know what a talented writer she is.
on 3 December 2012
I am a huge lover of Amanda's books, her gift for storytelling, her heartwarming plots and her fabulously witty sense of humour shine through in everything she writes, and this novella is no different! With the added beauty of being able to finish it in a few short sittings as it is only (approx) 21,000 words.

Sitting comfortably?

The story begins with Lucy trying to complete her Christmas shopping while coping with morning sickness, made worse by the pregnancy being the furthest thing away from what she needs in her life right now and being furious at herself that a fumble at the office party led to this.

Then we meet Oscar, the younger of the four siblings. He is a 'jack-the-lad' in every sense and loses a girl who loves him as she confirms her suspicions that he is two timing her as she overhears his phone conversation. He is more relieved by her dumping him, and makes way to move on to the next...

Then there's Giles, the eldest. We hear a lot about him from his Mum and younger siblings; uncaring, ostentatious and selfish are all the perfect words to describe him, but when he loses his job after making one too many dodgy deals, he is left destitute, penniless and desperate. He thinks the only way out for him is suicide.

And finally we have Sophie. Aspiring actress and Thespian, she really is the centre of her universe and makes sure everyone else knows this. She is jobless, but will not even consider anything less than what she feels she deserves, which of course is Hollywood, Dahling...

Their Mum, Maggie is at home, baking and preparing for the family Christmas after losing her husband, and wondering just which of her children will grace her with their presence. Of course like most Mums, she has every faith that they will all turn up to be together this year.

She manages three out of the four, grudgingly, and just as they are about to settle down to their Christmas Eve festivities there is a knock on the door that changes everything...ensuring this will be a Christmas that they will never forget.
on 11 December 2012
I have been a fan of Amanda Egan's since 'meeting' her on Twitter after I bought her first book, Diary of a Mummy Misfit. Since then I have bought everything she has published on publication day - (Stilettos and Stubble sits in my Kindle waiting to be read) and I have never been disappointed. Christmas Deliverance is no exception either. Egan's tell it like it is style is abundant within the pages of this novella, marinated in a big Christmas dollop of realism and seasoned with humour.

The story tells the tale of a widowed mother and her 4 grown-up children (grown up in age, anyway) as they navigate the festive season and their uncertain futures beyond. More than turkey is laid on the table as truths, secrets and lies are abound...can the family get their rosy Christmas season?

My only grumble about this book is that it's too short...but hey, that's the point of a novella, short, sweet and leaves you wanting more....Egan does it again and I really think that 2013 will be her year to shine.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 December 2012
This is a wonderfully written novella about a family gathering to spend Christmas together. Whilst on the surface, everything seems quite normal, the first chapters are told alternately from the viewpoints of each member of the family, and we soon realise that each has something that they are trying to hide from the others. This is a family that really does need a miracle if Christmas is to be a success.

The story flowed fluidly and I was very quickly hooked up in the characters and their individual dramas. They are all very realistic and we see their flaws as well as their virtues throughout the story.

It is a nice, cosy heartwarming story but with a gritty edge to it - highly recommended.
on 2 December 2012
By jove, Amanda Egan has done it again! Drawing the reader in, straight away! The Willoughby family, like many families, are not devoid of their own individual problems. Before the siblings' descend on their mum, Maggie, for Christmas, each of their story is told, and their characteristic/trait is revealed. Now, I'm not sure whether Amanda's 'Novella' is intended to be humourous, but, I couldn't stop laughing at the way she potrayes one of the siblings! A lovely Novella, with some surprises, capturing the essence of Christmas. Highly recommended!
Thanks Amanda for another great read! I simply adore your work!
on 9 January 2015
A lovely little novella, very festive for the run up to Christmas &, of course, happy (if not entirely unexpected) endings all round! You could easily read it curled up in front of the fire with a nice glass of something on Christmas Eve.
on 29 December 2012
What a wonderful story. I was hooked from the very beginning. When I had to put my Kindle down, I couldn't wait to pick it up again and get back to this lovely, dysfunctional family! The end had me smiling through happy tears! A very clever story from a very clever writer!
on 5 December 2012
Finished Amanda's 4th book Stilettos and Stubble a couple of days ago and wanted more, so gave this a go and yet again I wasn't disappointed.

At the risk of repeating myself, she really does draw you in and you really get to know the characters. This one is no exception. I enjoy Amanda's characters so much that I always seem to miss them when I finish reading about them.

There is only one solution and that is that Amanda just needs to keep them coming.
on 29 December 2013
In the run up to Christmas things were a bit hectic and I didn't think I could focus on starting a new novel, therefore this was perfect. Some interesting characters and I was hooked immediately.
on 18 December 2013
I was looking for a book that was easy reading, humorous, a typical chic lit book. This book had them all, I hardly put it down from beginning to end. The character straight away had me convinced it was Miranda Hart. The story line was brilliant I laughed an awful lot. One of the best books I've read. Since reading this book I've downloaded a few others by this author and I haven't been disappointed.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse