on 16 January 2016
I'd had this sitting on my kindle for ages before realising I had already read several books by this author in a very different genre. It certainly gives a nasty impression of how a meteoric rise to fame could affect a working UK band with its mixture of members. Some of the drug taking seems excessive.....surely they should all have ODd?....but I enjoyed the description of the life and the sordid sub plots involving managers and groupies. It gets a bit complicated towards the end....a bit like a black comedy farce.....but I enjoyed it although it's quite unpleasant at times. Some great descriptive writing though, and it's easy to see how this author has improved and gone on to better things!
on 27 November 2014
‘The Art of Falling Down’ is an extremely accomplished début novel by Mark Dawson. I bought it a couple of years’ ago, and for some reason it stayed unread on my Kindle during that time. I must confess that when I first started to read it I wondered why I had bought this book. I wasn’t sure about the subject matter (it’s a fast-paced story of the rise and fall of a rock band, ‘Dystopia’, and their manager, Alex) and I’m generally not keen on novels written in the present tense, which this is. However, because this is such a well written story, I couldn’t help but enjoy it. Mr Dawson shows a number of deft touches – for example, he might have been tempted to add an epilogue, setting out how things ended for the key characters - but the story is stronger and more enjoyable without it.

I shall be reading more of Mr Dawson’s work.
on 13 September 2017
I have now read everything thing Mark Dawson has written. This is an exvrllent novel charting the rise and dramtic fall of a band and associated people. The way it is written - starting with the triumph and then presenting the back story - makes it a really excellent read . Highly recommend .
on 11 February 2015
A fan of Mark Dawson's more re ent novels, I thought I'd read his much earlier first book. It has all of the vibrancy of writing I have come to expect from him with great dialogue and characterisations. Good story line, too, set as it is in the chaotic world of drugs and rock. But for some reason I was left with a feeling of incompleteness after it was finished, with questions unanswed forming in my head.
As a first novel this is certainly an accomplishment but the author has gone on to develop a .better, more fluid style without losing the urgent excitement first demonstrated here.
on 26 February 2014
As long as you realise that your heroes have feet of clay this is an OK read - after all, it's only rock and roll! How anyone survives the amount of drugs referenced in this book I have no idea, but then many rock groups apparently consume prodigious quantities of drugs even today and no, they don't all live through it unscathed.

Most books have at least one character who the reader can identify with in some way, or consider to be the good guy - you have to search very hard to find anyone to support in this story. One victim was Gretta - but I am not sure why, what happened to her or whether I cared that we didn't find out.
on 19 December 2013
A good 'rock' novel, written with obvious inside knowledge. The plot is familiar enough...band gets big then implodes owing to personal and musical differences, but the book is written with convincing detail and features people who you may not like, but are believable characters. I have to say the techno-goth-metal style of the music made me quietly pleased that the band failed, but that's just personal. I've ordered Subpoena Colada by the same author and hope it will be as enjoyable.
on 23 April 2015
I found this book intriguing. I needed to keep reading to find out what was going on. However it is also unsatisfactory as some of the stories are started and not finished e.g Greta and bratsky. All also it seems like the books not finished too as it finishes on a story you would want to know the end of.
on 20 February 2018
I don't know why I bought this - or why I continued reading it. It's dreadful.
on 4 January 2015
I made it to page 185 before I realised this was not my cup if tea and I couldn't wait any longer to get interested. Nothing happens except drugs and destructive behaviour, no characterisation and I can't work out what the plot is meant to be either
Waste of my time
on 16 April 2013
Quite a confusing read, the story jumped all over and at times I really wasn't sure what was going on. Saying that, once I got my head around the time frame, I really rather enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I love watching local, live music and can relate to the behind the scenes shenanigans! Occasional typos mildly annoying but completely forgivable.