1,047

on 12 January 2014
My previous alarm needed replaced, and wouldnt do without one of these in my house. Always had one in my boiler room and when the alarm sounded, I wandered round the house wondering what the noise was and where it was coming from! When I realised it was the alarm I contact British Gas, and they told me to leave my house immediately! Arrived within 10 minutes and discovered I had a leaking boiler. Thank goodness for the alarm! This is a must for any house and a very good compact size. Good price and would recommend.
on 7 September 2013
The item was as described in the "paper work" and did function when test button activated. However aprox 2 weeks after it had been in use the gas engineer came to test the gas fire after the chimney had been cleaned. He found that due to another fault the room was filling with 300 ppm carbon monoxide. Not a sound out of the Kidde. It was then placed in the same position as the engineers tool and still not a peep.! Therefore as far as I am concerned it is not fit for purpose and if I still had the packaging would send it back. BEWARE THE FUMES IT DOES NOT DETECT ARE LETHAL.
1616 Comments| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 June 2013
Kidde seem to be a reputable brand in the field of Carbon Monoxide alarms and with a 10 year service life before they need replacing, this model seemed like a cost effective solution to CO monitoring. I bought two of them for under £30 for this basic model. I was not too bothered by the extra whistles and bells of the higher specification models, I just wanted a compact reliable and portable alarm. This one fits the bill very nicely.

It is either free-standing or can be wall mounted using the supplied screws. It is a compact unit, see my photo of one positioned on top of my central heating controller. It comes with three Duracell MN1500 (AA) batteries, which should be good for a few years, before needing replacement. It is simple enough to slide off the back cover to fit these and it is nice to know that Kidde have gone for a fairly standard battery, for the time it comes to replace them.

Obviously, it is difficult to test the unit in a domestic situation, you just have to accept that it will perform to the required standard if needed, hence the purchase of a reputable brand. (I just hope that scenario never arises). Overall a neat and unobtrusive CO alarm with a fairly loud alarm, so you should not sleep through it if it goes off for real!! Remember to press the test button on regular basis, to make sure it is functioning OK.
review image review image
on 17 September 2013
Good price for this brand. I didn't realise before it arrived that the "10 years" refers to lifetime of the alarm and not to the lifetime of the batteries which will need to be replaced more frequently. No problems so far.
on 2 August 2015
2am......gas engineer out, false alarm. Imagine the panic with young kids etc. gas engineer says it happens all the time with these. The Amazon £5 cheap ones work well, no false alarms (and I bought 4) and go off with a cape cigarette.....I,pressed.
on 9 March 2013
This is what everyone should have whether they are in a house/motorhome/caravan - everywhere there is a gas installation. Attractive looking and quick delivery. Bonus that it has a 10 year lifespan.
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 March 2013
This is the best value 10 year co2 alarm that I could find.Manufactured by a well respected company .Very good value & ideal for my caravan.
44 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 March 2013
Arrived promptly. Very easy to set up and in perfect working order. Will probably give as presents to our daughters as well.
on 7 November 2016
Recently had a gas fire / boiler service completed and was advised to pickup a carbon monoxide detector, after all you can't smell or see the danger coming. After several searches this is the main one that was recommended by the vast majority and when you search for anything to do with fire safety, the name Kidde is at the forefront, whether is alarms, detectors or extinguishers.

instructions are simple and alarm is ready within a few minutes out of the box. Judging from the test button, you certainly won't miss a warning when the alarm sounds and unit has user replaceable batteries. Sensor is marked up for 10 years of use and includes a marking sticker so you can note when it has been put in place.

Only given fours stars as I can not say how well it would detect carbon monoxide in reality but based on the last service, my gas engineer wasn't lying about being monoxide free.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2013
Its a small price to pay to know that the carbon monoxide levels are not going to cause any problems for 10 years.
The occasional flash of light lets you know its still working.