on 15 March 2014
Bloom is an easy read book with some great characters and concepts. The workings behind the power system is one I had not come across before and that really gave it an interesting spin. The characters were fun, if a bit stereotyped and two dimensional at times. The story itself while ok plays fairly by the numbers.

The real issue with the book is with its flow. You will be reading concentrated, really pulled into the scene, really enjoying it, when.... SAY WHAT?!?!! Something so jarring will just slam on the brakes and push you right out of the story. At times it might be a characters complete 180 take on a situation, or an action scene that fizzles, or a piece if the story that goes straight into a brick wall. There are quite a few that just stop the story from flowing properly and naturally.

Having said that the book is free, and fun, so download it and give it a go yourself!
on 8 May 2014
A clever tale spinning science fiction closely with every day lives. Classic good vs evil with several twists along the way. Detailed descriptions bring the characters to life, looking forward to reading the follow-up books.
on 16 August 2014
Enjoyed this book so much that I bought the trilogy (and it's very rare I pay for books).
There were twists and turns, things happened that you didn't want to happen. So very well described, you could easily envisage it being a movie. An easy read without being simplistic.
One of those real gems to find as a freebie!
on 8 July 2016
On offer for free, with a supernatural/superpower storyline, how could I not give it a whirl?
With two coinciding POV's it was an interesting start.
As a female reader I couldn't help but feel there was too much importance placed on Havens social aspect and found myself thinking "why would she care about a boy at a time where betrayal and loss surrounds her?" but it's a brief frustration that is left behind as you read on.
All in all I'm really interested in finding how the next book in the trilogy unfolds.
on 28 February 2014
BRILLIANT !! I HAVE GOT TWO AND THREE TO FOLLOW ON WITH, IT IS DIFFERENT AND 'OUT OF THIS WORLD', THE TWO MAIN CHARACTERS WELL THOUGHT OUT AND HOPEFULLY THEY WILL BOTH SURVIVE ALL 3 BOOKS. I WILL THEN SEE WHAT OTHER BOOKS/IF ANY. ARE AVAILABLE BY A.P. KENSEY, BECAUSE HE/SHE IS A GOOD AUTHOR WHO HOLDS YOUR ATTENTION ALL THE WAY THROUGH, AND VERY QUICKLY HOOKS YOU.
on 22 April 2014
Reminiscent of "X-Men" this debut novel is furiously fast-paced and exciting. Taken on a thrilling adventure into the unknown, BLOOM transported me into the heart of a fantastic fantasy world wrought with danger at every turn. The nail-biting, fervent intensity of the sweeping storyline is brilliantly executed and ideal for boys and younger readers seeking spunky character-driven tales. The dramatic fighting scenes were startlingly vivid, as though written for a movie adaptation {as I could clearly envisage the unfolding events}.
However, despite the compelling drama in which two teenagers {gifted with extraordinary abilities/ superpowers} I felt that the narrative was somewhat bland and lacking in depth. There was little substance to the storyline or world-building to authenticate the fantasy world which the author had created hence making it somewhat far-fetched. Given the nature of the `superhero' storyline one naturally expects a certain amount of eccentricity, and yet there was a lack of profundity to support the story so as to spark my imagination.

I was excited as to the premise of this book and so expectations were high, as a fan of fantasy fiction and the YA genre. Sadly I was left feeling deflated as to the simplistic style and content, with dialogue and non-stop action overpowering the plot {the foundations/ concept of the novel underneath}. Targeted towards teens; the two characters who embark on a perilous path to `save humanity' will appeal greatly to fans of Alex Rider and Artemis Fowl books.

A P Kensey's debut BLOOM takes you on a hazardous quest of super abilities and sinister secrets. It is a light, fun read that's well written but which could have been better and so in my honest opinion I felt regrettably dejected. I would like to thank the author for kindly providing me with an e-copy of her novel to read and provide a non-biased review on.

2.5 Stars
on 14 March 2014
This story started in quite an interesting way. It then got very irritating as it jumped between the two main characters. Then we met evil baddies. At that point I got bored and started flicking through it. Sorry I bothered.
on 15 March 2014
I loved the whole concept of energy transfer as a super power it was such a good read. It's a fast paced novel filled with a lot of action and it isn't stuffed with a lot mooshy teen romance like most paranormal novels although I feel that'll be dealt with later and I found a lot of the characters very likeable with the exception of Haven, the main character, who I found to be a sullen moody bitch even at the beginning of the novel before all the hardship. Definitely give this novel a chance; i'm giving it five stars and I'm heading off to read the rest of the trilogy!
on 2 May 2014
Lives are about family and friendships and how they intertwine this keeps you on the edge wanting to know whats coming next and you dont want them to make the wrong choices so I guess you cant wait for the next book !
on 28 March 2014
I'd say the best way to describe the book would be a cross between X-Men and Divergent. Could do with being a bit longer but it's free. I've bought the second book and no doubt I will the third. Happy days.