on 20 June 2017
I love fantasy book and I wasn't disappointed with this book. It really caught me off guard in a good way. Started to read it and never thought it would be so good. I was up all night and at four fifteen my wife turned over and told me to stop reading and go to sleep. I couldn't believe it was early morning. Just one more chapter please. I really couldn't put this ebook down. Will be telling my son about this book for defo. So give it a read, you will get a pleasent surprise.
on 7 June 2013
Clearly the author is a fan of classic heroic fantasy--Moorcock, Howard, with maybe some Lovecraft thrown in (I haven't actually read any Lovecraft yet, but some of the prose is as I'd imagine his work, if that makes sense). This is not at all a Bad Thing, and was my primary reason for being excited about the book. It promised some a classic-style heroic tale grounded in Norse mythology, and with an Eternal Champion a la Moorcock to boot.

Unfortunately, it was a bit of a let-down to read. Instead of sparse Moorcockian prose delivering the tale at a good pace, full of twists, turns and tragedy, Thater is verbose to the point of killing the pace. It was more like Goodkind (Bad Thing), and only the determination to get to the end kept me going. Far from the historically-grounded tale I expected, it seems to be set in one of those pseudo-European manga/video game worlds with a few mytho-historical names thrown in, invented by someone with no grip on the source material (it has a prologue claiming historical sources, a device which falls flat when what follows is so far removed from history). The dialogue is over-long, tedious and full of jarringly anachronistic phrases ("Mr Fancy-Pants"?). Descriptions of people and places slow down the action in the wrong places. It's not quite clear who the protagonist is, and the "Geometry Knight" is kept at arms length to maintain his enigma (unlike Moorcock's champions). Maybe the novelette version was a bit punchier (i.e. better), because some of this seems a bit tacked-on.

STILL, once it did get going, and I'd learned to live with the characters' constant chattering (especially Ob), there were some good bits. The final showdown is still full of relentless, thesaurus-thumbing description, but instead of being used to convey bland background it is put to better use in describing the horrors of the eponymous gateway. Proper heroic fantasy, at long last, and it just about redeems itself.

So basically it suffered from lack of critical editing, like most self-published stuff, which is a shame because I'd actually like to read more of the story but not if it's going to be such a slog.

But hey, at least it's not about a farmboy who learns he has a magical gift and goes to Wizard School to fulfil his destiny!
on 15 April 2016
I love stories like this especially when they are brilliantly written which this is! I couldn't put it down.what got me was it's based on norse mythology and mentioned Tyr god of justice my favourite god! What's yours?
on 27 February 2014
I've read the other reviews, I shall try to be short and to the point. I've started using the kindle app to get affordable books to read recently. I'm a big fan of Epic fantasy and science fiction. While this series is no legendary masterpiece, it is a good pulp fiction read and gets it right in most of the places.
The formula is a tribute to Robert E Howard (and possibly his comtemporary H P Lovecraft) , including the literary device of the pseudo-anthropological intros, the struggles of civilisations attempting for longetivity, aspiring to surpass their flaws and become truly great.
I liked this and will get all the books. Even Terry Goodkind became a better writer eventually. Keep writing Thater!
on 28 November 2013
A nice transposition of the legend of the fall into Northern climes, however the author seems to have never gone outside his little neck of the USA! Neologisms abound and taking a quick look at an atlas before setting scenes would be useful. I'm all for the willing suspension of disbelief when I read fantasy, but I do expect the landscape not to intrude or the dialogue to drag me back to WW2 GI's! However, it's never easy writing, and I hope there will be more to come.
on 4 October 2013
Difficult to know what to say with regards to this one. Normally if I cannot get straight into a book I put it down and never pick it back up. This did take some time for the engines to warm but I read it to the end.
on 9 March 2013
Poor in the main , almost as if a poor writer has mixed poor prose with a better writers work. A 'lute' is a stringed instrument and not a stringed one. Basic details flawed. Good hokum .
on 17 August 2013
One of the best books that I have read for a while. Really good descriptions of the setting and the characters. Overall a very good book. More people should know about this!
on 22 February 2014
Without all the guff about genuine research and real legends this would be an enjoyable piece of nonsense, but saying it's based on genuine old legends and then having such ludicrous anacronisms is really a bad idea. viking types wearing damascened plate armour! Really????????
on 2 April 2014
A great read - will definitely purchase the rest of the series - fast paced and well thought out a great mix of myth, fable and historical notions