TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 December 2012
This is an extremely well written sinister tale that stayed with me after I finished reading it and had me pondering in the middle of the night, wondering whether it "really could happen like that". It is a very quick read, with the story moving on at a very good pace and by the time the main events unfold the author puts you right inside the head of Emma, a new mother, and you are with her every step of the way, sharing her fears, anguish and paranoia over who she can and cannot trust. It is extremely hard to review without giving any of the story away, but I think any mother will certainly identify with Emma, as it does evoke memories of those early days of motherhood and the strong feelings of protectiveness towards your child that wash over you, especially when its your first born. The only thing I will say about the plot that isn't in the product description is that Emma suffers from a mental health problem, which is handled very sensitively and in the tale, giving the reader a really good, realistic glimpse into how it must feel during episodes of illness and having to try and cope with daily life at the same time.

There is one graphic scene of rather rough sex in the book, which had me open mouthed at one point, and I didn't think much surprised me anymore but I think it was because I wasn't expecting it from this particular author, having read quite a bit of her work already - although I do still have a couple of her books in my TBR pile. It definitely isn't Pompomberry House - it is a a lot darker and much more sinister read.

Highly recommended.
on 21 December 2012
Another fantastic piece of writing from Rosen Trevithick. This story has been very well researched. The writing Style is smooth and the story flows well.

The main character, Emma, has a one night stand with Simon, who she despises (or thinks she does). After having very brutal sex with Simon, Emma falls pregnant. As if this isn't enough of a complication, it turns out that Emma suffers from Bipolar disorder, which is normally very well controlled with her medication. Emma has to stop taking her medication temporarily for the sake of her unborn child. Obviously this has consequences for Emma and things soon begin to spiral out of Emma's control.

One of the big issues raised in the story, is mental illness and becoming a new mother. It is handled very sensitively by the Author. Becoming a mother, has such a profound effect on a woman, not just physically, but mentally. Even without suffering from a mental illness, it can be a difficult time. You are sleep deprived, your hormones are going crazy and you are responsible for this little person, who can do nothing for themselves; Such a huge responsibility.

I also saw within the story, the ignorance of others who do not/will not understand mental ill health. It is sad that in this day and age, mental illness is still so misunderstood.

Great title, works really well with the story. Simon the father of the baby, has an ice marathon to compete in, but at the same time Emma has her own inner marathon to compete.

I'm finding it hard to say a lot about the story, as I don't want to give it away. I highly recommend that you read this story, you will not be disappointed.
on 26 January 2013
Firstly let me begin this review by saying that this is the first book by Rosen Trevithick that I have read. I tend to be a rather focused reader who concentrates on specific genres that interest me, but on impulse I downloaded The Ice Marathon when it was on promotion--largely motivated by the huge amount of good work Rosen Trevithick has done for the indie publishing community.

I read this book from cover to cover in a single sitting on the train this afternoon, and was utterly, completely gripped! The main character, Emma, was portrayed with considerable sensitivity and pathos. I won't go into the nuances of the plot here--other reviewers have covered these areas--but it is perhaps sufficient for me to say that Rosen has grabbed the attention of a reader who would never normally consider this genre at all.

The characters are engaging, the plot tightly woven with enough twists and turns to maintain momentum, and the book deals with important themes in a very sensitive and thought provoking manner. I particularly admired the language, which treads an admirably fine line between moments of humour and the serious consideration of themes such as mental illness.

If I have any complaint, it is that I wish the story was longer. I feel there was more that could be explored here.

Overall, a very fine piece of writing, with masterful use of language, considerable humour, pathos, and a gratifying outcome. A really enjoyable shorter read--one that has made me far more likely to venture outside my usual genres in future!
on 30 December 2012
This is not my first review of a work by Rosen Trevithick, and I doubt it will be my last either. Having read Seesaw and Pompomberry House, I looked forward to reading The Ice Marathon and I will say right now that I wasn't disappointed!

Firstly, I have to say that her writing is improving a lot- not that it was in any way bad to begin with, because Rosen is definitely a rising talent amongst Indie authors. The Ice Marathon is definitely her best work yet. The story is involving, the plot well paced and the main character was not only believable, but relatable too. There is a sex scene near the beginning, and not everyone will find that to their liking, but each to their own. And the way the story deals with mental illness is thought-provoking and very well written. You can see the mania creep up on the main character before she even realises it herself.

The only disappointment anyone will find with this novella is that there will all too quickly come a point when you have read the last word and realise that you now have to wait until the author releases her next story. I hope I don't have to wait too long.

If you haven't yet discovered Rosen Trevithick, then I think it is high time you did. Give this a go and before you know it you will have read every word she has written. I promise.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 September 2015
The Ice Marathon is a very compelling short story which takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions. Quite fitting really, since it is about a woman who has Bipolar disorder.

An excellent story that gave me an insight and better understanding of an illness I didn't really know much about, without making the illness anything more than just that, an illness. The main focus is the characters relationships, with her friends, her son, and the father of her son. It has humorous moments, sad moments and one rather sexually explicit bit (this book is absolutely not erotica though, and this scene makes up a small but important part of the story). I enjoyed reading this, it is a great stand alone story, and can also be read as part of the anthology SeeSaw volume 2.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 December 2012
This is the story of Emma, a young woman of 30-ish, who suffers from bi-polar disorder but who manages it with medication. She is set up with a date by her flatmate and the two of them don't get on. The evening (or early next morning) ends with a brutal but mutual sex act which results in her pregnancy. To save the baby from harm, Emma has to give up her lithium which keeps the disorder at bay. Emma and Simon get together again in an off and on way and I really found I wanted to know what happened.

To me, the clever part of this story is that it is a first person narration by Emma and we see her bipolar disorder begin to creep up on her. Because she is telling us about it, we can see her rationale for her over-excited, hysterical behaviour, all the reasoning behind her fear and despair. We know where things are heading before she does. If this were described in the third person we'd only see the results, not the reasoning. This aspect is extremely well done. I also found some of the writing very funny - even in desperate situation, Rosen Trevithick can pull a funny out and I found myself highlighting a phrase or two that made me giggle.

There's an exciting and ultimately satisfying ending to this story. Very enjoyable.
on 25 May 2014
i initially thought this was going to be the usual chick lit, but it touched on so e very real and deep issues. It got you feeling the characters and the challenges she faced every day, and how she dealt with the new challenges thrown at her. it still had a bit of a chick lit feel to it, but i enjoyed reading every page
on 16 February 2014
From the outset, main character Emma was endearing, and the supporting characters well written and interesting. The dinner party really showed everyone's personality well, so I felt as if I got to know all the characters much better. The ensuing scene in the kitchen was laugh-out-loud funny and cringe-worthy all at the same time, not to mention the aftermath and then Emma and Simon's reunion.
I did not have a clue that the pregnancy was coming, so that was a real shock to me, but the whole duration of it was written with sensitivity as well as humour. The description of Emma's bipolar disorder, and how going without her medication, was described so well, in addition to her experiences as a mum of a very new baby such as the lack of sleep.
I was rooting for Emma and Simon from the start, but little did I anticipate the huge twist in the story that has Emma questioning even best friend Nicky's loyalty.
A great shorter read. This was my first experience of reading Rosen Trevithick, and I'll be looking out for more of her work.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 December 2012
The Ice Marathon is another high-quality read from Rosen Trevithick. It's a tense tale of unexpected motherhood and the even more unexpected nightmare that every parent in the world gets chills even thinking about.

Right from the beginning, narrator Emma is a lively and immediate character, drawing us into her life with ease. Crucially, she doesn't always come across as likeable, which raises questions about her behaviour and what might be causing it. But at all times she is three-dimensional and believable, especially when her fears and paranoias start to kick in.

Her explosive meetings with Simon, the father of her child, make great reading and I was surprised at how much humour there is in the early part of the book. Then as the story darkens, I was pulled along very quickly and found myself racing to the finish.

If there's any criticism, it's that this meant the book finished a little prematurely for me. I would have welcomed a longer novel with further complications and mysteries. But that is also testament to how easy I found it to read. It's takes a lot of work to make writing look easy, and as always, Rosen delivers an emotional, satisfying story.
on 7 April 2013
This is a good short read. I really enjoyed getting to know the characters and seeing where the story was going. It was interesting to learn a bit more about bipolar disorder. At one point I was expecting the story to culminate in Emma having made it all up in her head because of her disorder but was marginally disappointed when everything turned out in a 'happily ever after' scenario.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse