on 1 November 2015
I have had this book for quite a while, and as normal I buy books and they get left on the shelf, but decided today would be the day when I start to read more and to learn more about adventures and have to say am so glad I did, 7 hours later and have just finished it, it has to be the first book ever that I have read non stop from cover to cover, that's not to say it is a short book I just didn't want to put it down. As someone who cycles and has been put off for a while by the negative stories of some cyclists and not knowing where I fit into the cycling world, it is so refreshing to read such a down to earth book from a down to earth guy/cyclist, who just cycled to achieved a dream of cycling from one end of the country to the other. It is an engaging read and I really liked the random thinking when cycling and am so glad I am not the only one who does this. It has given me a renewed outlook on my own cycling journeys and has washed away all the negative conversations I have had with others who would rather just tell you the bad side so you don't see it as an easy thing to do, (like they are doing you some kind of favour by being so negative). I love how this book was written, it has made me realise that my future cycling/adventure journeys are not anyone else's journey but they are/will be my own and and no cyclist has the same journey, so what if i can't cycle well, so what if I have to walk up the hills to start with (I always felt like such a failure when I couldn't get up a hill). This book has given me such a down to earth outlook on cycling that it has inspired me to get my bike out of the shed and get back on it again and get out there and make my own adventures. Thank you Sean Conway for such a brilliant book which has inspired someone in later life to begin her journeys again, am planning my first 1000 mile cycle across country (UK) next year (2016) just as a starter. Will also be finding myself a little mascot to keep me amused as loved the Little flying cow, think mine will have to be a monkey.
on 16 February 2013
Land's End to John O'Groats: The ride that started it all
what a lovely story to read, you take the journey with the author.
a very hard to put down book, and well worth the money.
You share his thoughts and feelings as he rides, on the high roads and byeways, what the places are like and nearly getting blown off the road by gusts from passing lorries.
Fantastic price and lots of pages to read.
only one tiny gripe` I did get a little `cheesed off` with his conversing with `little cow`.....
But overall very happy with book.
on 6 May 2014
Not much use if you want to plan your own trip. Not a skilled writer. Poor grammer. Printed by Amazon, who will print anything. There are a lot of better cycling books out there, written by people who have a bit of skill.
on 18 July 2017
A really good read, aspire to do what Sean, in his style!
on 13 May 2017
Such a good read, made me want to go on a big adventure.
on 16 October 2013
Every cyclists mission at one point is to do LEJOG and I was quite looking forward to this book to see how he coped on his own. Starts very well, amazed that with the lack of cycling fitness he manages to ride quite a lot of miles everyday but once he starts talking to his teddy and himself. Well at that point I though "this ain't all that". I found it silly that he was having a discussion and at points banter/argument with the teddy and I just thought it silly. I didn't finish the book but I'm glad that buying this book has helped him buy a pint at the pub.
on 16 November 2016
very disappointed was looking forward to reading it but never really took off Sean was already fit so this type of adventure was not a real challenge
as he is a photographer by profession the pictures provided were pretty poor quality.
He fails to mention a lot of good things especially near jog where you have reiss sands dunscany head dunnet head and prob the best beach in the whole country.at dunnet and of course castle mey the queen mothers estate.He does a trip at the end to Orkney and doesn't tell us what he found good or bad.sorry Connors its put me off anymore.
on 28 June 2017
Sean, if you read the reviews, the pictures at the end of the chapter don't show up on the kindle app -a few do if they are not at the end
We see the title of the picture like
T
h
I
s
Hope someone can do something IT -is to resolve this
Probably the app fault rather than the format of the text, but just the pictures at chapter ends
on 10 March 2017
Total and utter rubbish - someone desperately needs to edit this. Loads of spelling and grammatical errors, and very self-indulgent.
on 12 September 2013
This book wasn't for me. That says as much about me as it does the book though. I didn't like the cow monologue... it wasn't funny. The tone of writing was very young and the commentary on what the writer was experiencing seemed insubstantial. I didn't really relate to the view point of the writer. It felt a bit like listening to a teenager talking on their mobile. Good on the chap for getting it together and writing a book and it seems many people enjoy it. Just not me.