on 1 November 2015
I have had this book for quite a while, and as normal I buy books and they get left on the shelf, but decided today would be the day when I start to read more and to learn more about adventures and have to say am so glad I did, 7 hours later and have just finished it, it has to be the first book ever that I have read non stop from cover to cover, that's not to say it is a short book I just didn't want to put it down. As someone who cycles and has been put off for a while by the negative stories of some cyclists and not knowing where I fit into the cycling world, it is so refreshing to read such a down to earth book from a down to earth guy/cyclist, who just cycled to achieved a dream of cycling from one end of the country to the other. It is an engaging read and I really liked the random thinking when cycling and am so glad I am not the only one who does this. It has given me a renewed outlook on my own cycling journeys and has washed away all the negative conversations I have had with others who would rather just tell you the bad side so you don't see it as an easy thing to do, (like they are doing you some kind of favour by being so negative). I love how this book was written, it has made me realise that my future cycling/adventure journeys are not anyone else's journey but they are/will be my own and and no cyclist has the same journey, so what if i can't cycle well, so what if I have to walk up the hills to start with (I always felt like such a failure when I couldn't get up a hill). This book has given me such a down to earth outlook on cycling that it has inspired me to get my bike out of the shed and get back on it again and get out there and make my own adventures. Thank you Sean Conway for such a brilliant book which has inspired someone in later life to begin her journeys again, am planning my first 1000 mile cycle across country (UK) next year (2016) just as a starter. Will also be finding myself a little mascot to keep me amused as loved the Little flying cow, think mine will have to be a monkey.
10 people found this helpful
on 9 June 2015
I am not a long distance, nor even short distance cyclist. I bought this book because I had previously read Hell and High Water which I thoroughly enjoyed and as I find Sean's blogs and tweets very entertaining, I thought I would see what this book was like and I wasn't disappointed.

This was a definite feel good book from start to finish. It regularly had me laughing out loud, especially the conversations he had with LFC, they were hilarious. (I am really going to be careful reading any of Sean's books on the bus as I am starting to get some funny looks laughing at 7:30 in a morning on a work day)

I really like Sean's writing style, he could almost be sitting in the pub talking about his adventures over a pint. I particularly liked Sean's approach to the adventure in that it wasn't his intention to break any records, it was more about learning about the British countryside and having a good time and meeting people. As with his other book it was really lovely to read about the people he met who made things easier for him and were supportive, whether it was free food, donations to his charity or being smuggled into somewhere to sleep.

Sean's observations and descriptions of the people he met were really entertaining as were his running battle with the elements and the "fun" he had camping with his tiny tent ! He certainly is a hardy, determined soul and having read this book I can understand why it was such a life changing journey for him.

I can't wait to read Sean's book about his run from JOG to LE, I am sure that it will be another excellent read.
on 30 July 2017
This is only the second kindle book I have ever returned for a refund but I simply couldn't get beyond the first couple of chapters, due to all the typos and grammatical errors. The introduction states that the author has done all his own writing, editing and publishing so that 'he only has himself to blame for any mistakes' - but if ever an author needed a decent editor, this one did! He constantly switches between the past and present tense, not just between sentences but also within single sentences. His command of the English language is poor, resulting in words used in the wrong context and phrases such as 'It gave me great pleasure in sounding my horn....' Such a shame, as he sounds like a great chap and I was looking forward to reading about his adventures - but one more sentence like 'I sit down in a cafe and ordered my breakfast' was liable to result in my kindle being hurled out of the nearest window!
on 16 February 2013
Land's End to John O'Groats: The ride that started it all
what a lovely story to read, you take the journey with the author.
a very hard to put down book, and well worth the money.
You share his thoughts and feelings as he rides, on the high roads and byeways, what the places are like and nearly getting blown off the road by gusts from passing lorries.
Fantastic price and lots of pages to read.
only one tiny gripe` I did get a little `cheesed off` with his conversing with `little cow`.....
But overall very happy with book.
on 28 April 2013
Not a bad read, but not an outstanding one either. I understand his next book is much better in writing style. Its a nice story that I could relate too (as a cyclist who camps) but there were a few typo's and the conversations with a stuffed cow wore a bit thin for me personally. Is it worth reading, yes, I think it is. It just could of been so much better though.
on 6 May 2014
Not much use if you want to plan your own trip. Not a skilled writer. Poor grammer. Printed by Amazon, who will print anything. There are a lot of better cycling books out there, written by people who have a bit of skill.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 1 July 2016
badly written. not compelling cycling reading. not really about the bike, or cycling, more the stuff in-between. written by a student and sounds like it!
|0Comment|Report abuse
Was very disappointed as very poorly written. I did wonder if it was aimed at children a few times. Obviously not aimed at me
on 16 February 2013
I read 80% of the book but finally could not bring myself to complete it. The first chapters were great but I felt the author became bored or lazy in the latter chapters; so they became dull to read.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 October 2016
What a fantastic read. Very entertaining and really easy to read. Great author