TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 May 2013
I have always been a fan of alternative rock, The Smashing Pumpkins are one of my favourite bands that fit into that category, their first two albums were good, but their third: 'Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness' is an absolute masterpiece.

It is not an easy task to put together a quality double album and pull it off, more often or not it is a even mixture of good songs and filler (sometimes consisting more of the latter), but this is one of those rare exceptions. As soon as I started playing this album, I was blown away from the start. Perhaps the best known songs are the wonderful, orchestral 'Tonight, Tonight', and the hard rock gem 'Bullet With Butterfly Wings'. There is something for everyone, there are some many different styles to choose from, from heavy rock to mellower tracks and gorgeous ballads. There is a perfect balance of styles and the lyrics by the singer Billy Corgan, who can sing such a variety of songs effortlessly, have so much meaning and depth. The album spawned hit singles (including the aforementioned) and a Grammy win to boot.

With a total of 28 songs, to say that this was an ambitious project was an understatement, but The Smashing Pumpkins released their greatest, never-to-be beaten work with 'Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness'. Buy it immediately for it is truly an amazing album.
on 10 August 2017
I won't comment on the music itself only the audio quality and the recording itself. It's great, as good as the original copy I had almost 20 years ago. Superb.
on 7 May 2017
This is one of my favourite smashing pumpkins albums. Mine is damaged so I got this to replace it. Perfect.
on 5 November 2017
Bit costly but worth it in my opinion. One of my favourite albums packaged in a truly beautiful way - highly recommended for fans
on 23 August 2017
Dispatch arrived far before EDT, cass, cds, inlays in excellent condition.
on 24 August 2017
Grreat
on 28 November 2017
Fab
on 5 October 2017
Great album!!!
on 23 August 2011
I adore Mellon Collie. It's utterly bonkers, especially in today's sanitised modern download age. The Smashing Pumpkins' finest hour, Mellon Collie shows the talent of Billy Corgan at it's creative peak, churning out brilliant alternative rock songs for fun. Most of the Pumpkins' classics are to be found on this album, showcasing their vast range of stylistic talents. "Bullet With Butterfly Wings", "Tonight, Tonight", "Jellybelly", "Zero", "Bodies", "1979", "Stumbleine", "Here is No Why" all of them are crammed onto the two discs of Mellon Collie.

It's 28 tracks aren't all perfect, as you'd have to expect with an album of this size. If anything, this adds to the character of the album. There isn't much filler, but what filler there is generally showcases over-ambition, a character trait that is rare in today's rock scene (or the entire music world in my opinion.) Personally, I find the second disc (Twilight to Starlight) to be marginally stronger than the first, feeling more focused but the more famous songs, by and large are to be found on disc one (Dawn to Dusk).

Albums like this prove the naysayers that the 90's were a Limp Bizkit filled dirge, awash with boybands, girlbands and shiny, autotuned pop. Along with Nirvana's "Nevermind", "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" is the joint finest rock album of the 1990's and one of the very greatest ever produced. It's ambition should be applauded, the guts of including acoustic ballads alongside piano led instrumentals to fit around the blistering riff driven rock. The artwork and inserts are beautifully unique in their softly painted style, as is the designs adorning each disc.

Perhaps when those who decide trends set upon a nineties revival, this album will be elevated to the status it deserves. It should be in the top ten of any magazine or website's best album lists. Sadly I've yet to see it mentioned. Embrace ambition, embrace talent at it's most precocious, bombastic and gutsy. Buy and love Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.
on 1 March 2015
I have listened to this album for about the past year. I'm only 19 so this album came out before I was born, but when I heard 1979 a few times something just grabbed me about the Pumpkins. I started listening to Siamese Dream which is a classic album, but never really connected to Mellon Collie. As time went on I started listening to it more and more to the point where I know the album so well. It is a great album certainly one of the best of it's time. It is a timeless record and does not at all sound dated as it comes into a world of it's own. The Remaster is great and to be honest not a huge amount of difference from the original 1995 master.

I recently got the 4xLP Vinyl release and I have to say it is fantastic, the best re-issue I've ever seen on vinyl. The vinyl is just fantastic quality very clean and plays perfectly. No distortion in sight and is an excellent way to listen to this huge album. It certainly shows just how big this album is when it's dropped on 4 LPs. The lyric and information booklet included which is from the CD boxset is great and just makes a fantastic package overall. I would definitely recommend getting this on vinyl if you have the equipment to play it and love this album. All of the re-issues from the Pumpkins back catalog are just very well made records and they stand out from the god-awful masters and presses which are all the norm today.