on 8 June 2017
I read The Coroner before reading this, and although it was pretty easy to get the gist of how Jenny became a Coroner, this book fills in a few gaps.
There is Jenny's boss in the child protection team who doesn't appear to trust her; or even like her for that matter. She certainly doesn't have Jenny's back when the plot unfolds, and appears to be looking after number one, herself. Neither does she appear to have much faith in the foster parents of the deceased girl. No wonder there is a shortage of professional people in this line of work. The only person who is in tune with Jenny is Boulter, the Coroner. He seems to be a decent chap.
This book is short, but explains everything we needed to know about how things came to be. I am looking really forward to reading the rest in this series.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 June 2013
My first outing with this author and I enjoyed this short which I've read before starting The Coroner.

The story rolled along nicely, each character sketched with sufficient detail to get a feel for their personality. The cross questioning dialogue in the courtroom was particularly effective and realistic. Nothing demanding and I enjoyed this as a quick read and an introduction to the central character in the full length books.
on 9 May 2017
I like M R Hall's style and enjoy the plots which are well constructed. A very good read and informative about the wide roll of the coroner.
on 18 May 2017
Excellent book left me wanting to read more by MR Hall. Liked the fact that it took place in and around near where I live so recognised the places.
on 17 September 2013
Started with this book hadn't read and of these series before.. well if got to say after a couple of pages I was hooked and trust me that doesn't happen often.... so now I'm going to read the coroner... can't wait if this was to go by ...... enjoyable read xx
on 30 June 2014
This is a short story going back to Jenny's lawyer days. It is tagged as a prequel to The Coroner but I think it is helpful that I had already read The Coroner and knew the character bit of an open ending but very enjoyable.
on 26 April 2017
Excellent
on 8 May 2017
i have read three of the coroner books and really enjoyed them but this one was too short (yes I know it is a short story) and there wasn't much of a storyline in it. A bit disappointing
on 7 May 2017
Very good holds you till the end even if you think you know who it might have been at end
on 24 August 2017
I'd heard about Jenny Cooper books by Matthew Hall and thought I'd give them a look - saw this for free on Amazon proved to be a great back story which enticed me to purchase more of his books, no doubt I will avidly read the whole series now.