Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.29

on 1 December 2012
I must say as a gay man I have never read a 'chicklit' book, a genre clearly intended for women. I was drawn to this because of the setting, a drag nightclub in London, and its cast of outrageous gay men. As far as I know this hasn't really been attempted before, a sort of 'chicklit for gays'; the only one I can think of being Jonathan Harvey's successful 2012 novel 'All She Wants', and perhaps the novels of Julian Clary. This book won't win any literary awards, but then that is hardly the point. It is warm-hearted and funny, and I raced through it.
I note from the writer's blog that her inspiration was a scene from the sitcom 'Miranda' (presumably the scene where she is mistaken for a man in a tranny shop), and actually I was picturing Miranda Hart even before I knew the connection, and I was also reminded of Patricia Hodge's character when reading the scenes with the evil mother. Even the choice of the heroine's name mirrors Miranda's (which, while being Latin and created by Shakespeare, has the ring of mythology about it, which is where 'Persephone' is taken from).
I did enjoy it, but I do wonder whether chicklit as a genre is really for me; while this had elements of the 'gay scene', it was really just another heterosexual romance, and the gay theme was just a conceit to hang a plot on. The gays' love lives are either non-existent or barely touched upon, which is reflected by the character Luke's articulated disgust at the idea of 'gay sex'.
However, its heart is in the right place, and the theme of the book, that we all have something more to offer than surface gloss and not to judge from first impressions, is one which I wish ALL of society held.
on 28 December 2013
Another smash! A book filled with memorable characters you'll be delighted to meet and you'll miss the minute you finish the last chapter. A wonderfully warm hearted read that can't fail to appeal to fans of Miranda Hart. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Amanda Egan is a firm favourite.
on 1 December 2012
Amanda has a knack of drawing you in. You fall in love with the characters and you can picture the scenes in your mind and this one was no exception. This is her fourth book and I loved it as much as the other three. I laughed and cried (need to redo my makeup now, thanks Amanda) and loved every page.

Once again, you've nailed it Amanda. Thank you and keep em coming
on 17 February 2013
Persephone (Percy to friends) is a woman who stands out in a crowd, literally. She is not the average petite woman and has to work at being feminine.
She wants to be a successful author, but at the moment that is not paying the bills. She meets a guy/gal who offers her a job, front of house in a drag club. What has she got to lose?

So begins another funny, warm and absorbing story from Amanda Egan. As soon as Percy was introduced to me, I just had a vision of Miranda Hart and it stuck right through the book. I could see Miranda Hart playing Percy in a tv adapation of this funny novel.

The guys/gals at the drag club are a fabulous and vibrant bunch of characters who take Percy under their wing and help to transform her image as well as giving her a job.

Other supporting characters include the lovely Tom, her high maintenance neighbour and Percy's parents, who have rather an unusual marriage that is about to explode.

I loved the message in this novel about being true to yourself and be who you are not what others want you to be, and then you will find happiness.

Fab read.
on 18 May 2014
Amanda Egan hits the mark again.
I'm a massive fan of hers having read Diary of a Mummy Misfit and Darker side of a Mummy Misfit. And this book doesn't disappoint, made me giggle, laugh loudly, and nearly had me on the verge of tears once or twice.
I think the overwhelming point of this book is that find acceptance in the most unlikely places.
Everyone deserves acceptance, love, happiness and a place to feel safe and nurtured. The Glove was were Percy found all of this and more.
Xx
on 11 December 2012
Just finished this cracker of a book and hugely enjoyed it. From the 1st page you are hooked, wanting to tell Percy to wise up and catch a grip, then feeling sorry for her when u meet her mum and then meeting, and consequently loving, her Dad! The other people (don't want to call them characters as i feel like i know them very well) in the book are amazing, funny, silly and loyal and I can relate to more than one of them! The twists and turns of their lives keep you hooked and I am sad to say I read in in one sitting tonight! Gutted now that its finished though :-(

This is the 5th book I have read by Amanda and each one has been so different. I so can't wait until the next one, which by the way, needs to be twice as long! I devoured this one in 5 hrs!

Keep up the great work and please hurry up with the next one :-)

Ta
Cathy
on 9 June 2014
Really enjoyed this book. Completely understood the main character, and loved the witty writing. The "Queen's" were written in such a brilliant fashion, and utter believable. I used to work for BBC near the wardrobe department, and it was honestly like eavesdropping into one of those conversation - love it! Very much looking forward to reading more by Amanda Egan
on 12 May 2014
I always enjoy Amanda Egan's work and this book certainly didn't disappoint.
It's full of sensitive and insightful emotions as well as being very funny in places, and takes you to places you've probably never visited before!
Great fun, well written and I enjoyed every part of it. I'm looking forward to her next book which I hope won't be too far away.
on 12 December 2012
This `Rom-com' has a terrific storyline. It's perfectly cast, and its characters are engaging, lively, interesting, entertaining and funny (Wait until you read some of the fascinating character names!) In the lead role, is Persephone (Perce), a lady that is unlucky in love, unemployed, overflowing in low self esteem, picked on by her ever criticising, perfect mother, but loved by her dad. After a chance meeting with drag artist and club owner, Annie, things start looking up for Perce.... in more ways than one! Stilettos & Stubble is a fabulous, engrossing read, and one, where great friendships are formed.
Highly recommended - a must for your Kindle/Kindle App!
on 2 December 2012
The thing that really comes out in this book is how important relationships are.

Not just the one Persephone has with her parents (the lunch date she had with her mother was so funny) but also with her friends, Mia,Tom and Diane.

As for how she gets on and deals with Annie and the girls at 'The Grossamer Glove'(page after page of laughs,)the girls at the club needed each other far more than they needed the job.How Amanda thought up all their names,Betty La Muff, Lady Ga-Garden and Ma Might are three that i really like.

This was a very funny read,i can't wait to see what Amanda comes up with next.