Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 4 May 2014
First Gord Rollo read for me, and it won't be the last - I'd buy more on the strength of this story alone. The tale itself is short and simple (it's a novella, maybe even a novelette) but told with style and skill. There's nothing in here that doesn't need to be. Because it's tight and well-written, reading it is an easy pleasure. Wonderfully done.

Craig Saunders.
on 8 June 2015
I picked this up on a recommendation and it was a good choice. I'm a fan of short stories and this work's well as a short tale, although I would have liked just a bit more meat on the bones. In this case the blurb possibly gives a bit too much away as it gives you the bare bones for most of the story. There's more detail of course and the author adds the layers well with a crisp style. The story is short enough that I read it in about 20 minutes and I enjoyed it all the way through.

As I mentioned at the start the story could have handled more detail. I would have happily read more about the main characters and the contrast between the two contrasting motives for self-mutilation. Not so much that I felt short changed, but more could easily have been added.

The ending is a bit enigmatic and there was a revelation here that definitely could have been expanded upon as there was a mythos here and that passes by with barely and detail or explanation. It works well in the context of the story, but again my curiosity would liked to have a bit more satisfaction.

In summary it's a decent horror story, with a quick pace and well written. Well worth checking out.
on 4 June 2014
Although I feel it would have been better as a novel because it was too fast paced and over and done with in an hour (that's just a personal preference), the story was great. From start to finish I was hooked.
I empathised with Randy. Peeler was a fantastic character, as was his friend. I would have preferred more, but cannot complain as a quick read, and it was free! The author's style is exactly what I love and for that it gets five stars!
If you like gruesome stories, then this is the read for you!
on 25 August 2014
Loved it. I've read Jigsaw Man and Strange Magic by Rollo and while I loved the first I wasn't too sure about the second. This however was fantastic. Original idea executed well. Just the right length for the story too. I enjoyed it so much I'm off to read Crowleys Window. Whether you're a fan of Gord's work or not I think you will like this short if you like quite graphic horror. If not you may find some scenes a little hard to stomach.
on 27 July 2014
This was a unique read, it was something that I hadn't read before and the idea was genius. The writing style was great and the imagery was graphic, I couldn't have asked for more. Gord Rollo managed to get me interested in the story and round it off in about 70 pages.If you want something that will keep you on the edge of your seat and squirming this is definitely for you.
on 27 July 2014
I thought this an excellent short story and recommend only if you don't mind some blood and gore! Great little plot which contains a bit of humour but I also found it to be quite upsetting due to the suffering of two of the characters. I will definitely be reading more from this author.
on 31 July 2014
Well written and seemed longer than it actually was.
The characters and their mental states interacting on each other are well presented.
This is the type of story that gives opportunity to reflect on our own darker side be it as abuser or abused.
on 30 July 2014
A bit disappointed it didn't go on for longer! After settling down in bed to have a good read, I finished the book in less than an hour. No chapters and I didn't recall it advertised as a short story. But its okay if you want a quick thrilling read
on 3 September 2014
That's 24 minutes of my life I want back. Absolute rubbish - badly written, way too short and no development of what passes for characters. Dreadful.
on 22 July 2014
An enjoyable book, well written.
A good story with just the right amount of Gore to keep you interested and slightly disturbed.