Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This covers ground that other books don't. It's pretty much a soup to nuts guide to building good internet interfaces (including mobile devices).

I've been involved in building websites for about 10 years (mainly from the development side) and there's not really much that I found brand new in terms of advice, however this book will be useful to three groups of people:

1) Newbies;
2) As a reference to the more experienced designer;
3) As a guide to persuade the boss to do the right thing.

The only slight deficiency is that the book is a bit 'textbooky', and a little dry to read. Its perfect complement is Don't Make Me Think!: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability which gives a higher level view of Design (what are you trying to do). The plus side of the textbook approach is that it's very comprehensive. Note that the book gives advice on the what and the how of web design but it doesn't cover specific software products - you'll need to look elsewhere for this.

Overall worth buying.
VINE VOICEon 17 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Smashing Magazine are known for informative articles on web design and, more recently, informative books too. Smashing UX Design is not the first of their books to cross my path and I've learnt that, much like O'Reilly books, they are about providing solid value ahead of pushing out book after book regardless of the quality of the content.

So with Smashing UX Design you have over 400 pages devoted to user-centric techniques for perfecting web site design. These guys are the experts and if you have the budget to do it properly this book gives you all the information you need to get it done - or enough to tell you that you should hire the authors in.

Alternatively if, like must of us, you don't have budget to blow, this book gives you enough information to work out what to prioritise and how to get the maximum benefit from your investment.

I've not read the entire book - yet - but I've read enough to know that it is going to be extremely useful over many projects to come.
on 12 October 2014
This is a fantastic book. If there was a 3-year degree course in UX, I can't imagine it would teach you any more than this book. I read it once through, bookmarked and drew all over it and now revisit it regularly for my work (web design/basic development/project management). The first half focused on tools and methodologies for establishing your audience, assessing your effectiveness and dealing with the relevant people involved. The second half is a reference guide to web pages with different goals and how best to achieve those.
I have so many design books, dev books, UX books; if they were all lost in a house fire, this is probably the only one I'd need to buy again.
VINE VOICEon 24 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very useful book. The content is extremely well designed and organised, which I suppose it to be expected from user experience designers; still I found it surprisingly good.

The best part of the book, for me, covers specific website sections (Homepage, Search, Category, Shopping cart...), with each broken down into precise detail. The format for this (many headings or questions, with very short paragraphs) makes it great for reference.

Covered at length are workshops and usability testing. This is generally understood but little practiced. The authors are very prescriptive about how these should be carried out - use useful.
VINE VOICEon 9 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a Business (Systems) Analyst I find myself designing new user interfaces on a frequent basis for a .NET system. I was intrigued to see how a book would describe how it was done and find this to be more than adequate.

It describes wire-framing, user workshops, requirement gathering and analysis, a bit of tradtional systems lifecycle (Waterfall method), a bit of new project mgt thinking (Agile)...basically everything that a BA needs to be involved in. There's some useful hints and tips which I'll refer to from time to time and perhaps better methods than I sometimes use.

All in all, a good reference book.
VINE VOICEon 14 June 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Smashing Magazine has always been a great design resource, and this book lives up to that reputation in the field of user experience design.

It's beautifully laid out, bound (the softback), and presented - and also goes into great detail and depth on every topic on UX design for a newcomer, right through to more advanced level for those with experience in the field.

Covers the need for UX design right through all stages of projects, mainly focused on software project as expected.
VINE VOICEon 22 October 2015
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've read a few of the other Smashing Magazine books and enjoyed them and found them useful so I picked this one up and then found that it really wasn't my thing at all. I may pick it up again at a later stage if that changes but really not my cup of tea at the moment 3/5
on 26 September 2014
Great book. Covers a lot of best practices when taking on UX projects and breaks down key elements of UX projects in a concise and understandable way. Definitely a book I can see myself coming back to again and again in the coming months.
on 23 January 2016
This is a great book. I wanted a primer on UX and this seems to cover everything. Though it is now out of print, you can still read it online on Safari Books.
on 30 November 2015
This book should have been proof read before going to print. There are numerous grammatical errors and spelling mistakes which I found very distracting.