Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 February 2015
Beautiful and great quality! High quality songs
on 30 December 2014
Came on time,as expected
I agree with the other favourable reviews here - this is an excellent release. It's an odd thing: the songs aren't especially brilliant and Françoise Hardy wasn't that great a singer, but there's something about the combination of material, performer and band that makes this a really fine album.

I am, of course, completely biased in that I only have to hear her singing "les yeux dans ses yeux, et la main dans sa main..." to be transformed back into the hopelessly lovestruck young adolescent I was when I first heard these songs. Even allowing for this, they're really good of their kind and of their period. The remastered sound quality is remarkably good and it is great to have the elusive Italian album here too.

People like Carla Bruni have made a pretty decent fist of this sort of thing more recently, but in my view this is how it's really done. This is not just a classic, but terrifically enjoyable as well. Very warmly recommended.
on 15 May 2017
Excellent
on 29 January 2013
Very nice CD issue of Francoise's debut LP - so OK yes I do have this on LP, but top marks to Cherry Red for the remastering on the CD release as it brings out some of those elements you may not be aware of, or that had gotten buried in the mix on previous issues (which includes those CD issued by her french label Vogue in the late 80's) - the key element being FH's voice. The other big selling point is the 2nd half of the CD which gives you Francoise's rare as heck Italian language set which by my reckoning must have come out around early '63 - and again very nice to have as it means that my somewhat well-loved Italian EP can now have a well deserved retirement! Though one question does remain - are Cherry Red/El going to release the rest of FH's 60's recordings done for Vogue - including the German language set which'd work well as bonus selection for the 'Mon Ami La Rose' album recorded in London with Charles Blackwell! And what would be even nicer is the stuff that still in the archives - which'd make a great collection in its own right! Depends on Mlle Hardy!
44 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2015
12 songs in French and 10 in Italian.

I don't speak much French, less Italian, and I'm not very musical... on the other hand it's rare these days for me to love a whole CD from beginning to end on the first listen, but I did with this. The French songs are, by and large, fun, exuberant pop full of joyful, upbeat tunes. I thought I detected, with the Italian tracks, a little more pensiveness - maybe even a little downbeat here and there - but I still loved the whole lot.
on 19 February 2015
I got this with the repo gatefold sleeve and clear audiophile vinyl. Doxy records oviously went to a great deal of trouble to reproduce the original cover and it shows. Just stunning, although Ms Hardy has a lot to do with it.
It's rumoured that Doxy are lifting the albums from CDs rather than using the masters but I think this record sounds fantastic.
Let's hope they get round to releasing all the 60s albums.
on 13 January 2013
An excellent release. Well remastered. Although the first French album (tracks 1-12) has already been issued as a cd,this is a first appearance on cd of the Italian album(tracks 13-22).Well done Cherry Red. The informative and well illustrated leaflet oddly enough makes no mention of Francoise's last 3 cd albums.
on 14 January 2017
I loved Francoise Hardy when I was a teenager, but I think my husband loved her even more! We drove from Scotland to London last week playing this endlessly - and amazingly we could both remember the lyrics after all these years. What a lovely voice she had/has.
on 17 October 2014
I've fallen in love with her voice! Recording quality on most of the french tracks is OK (from the 60s, though); the quality of the italian tracks was a bit disappointing (even her voice sounds different).