VINE VOICEon 26 March 2016
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The writer of this small book does say at the start that she has never known poverty or much illness in her life.
I think there lies part of the problem perhaps for many readers.
When a person has been that lucky then it's easy for them to sound a bit smug and self obsessed as they list all the sweet moments they recall experiencing.
The writer composed book this as essays that she sent to a friend. He had made a remark of how he had "stolen" a week out of his busy life to spend a week somewhere in remote Scotland.
Her response is to say that life is meant to be lived with attention paid to all the good things one can possibly experience, some of which can be mundane.
She was chastising him while trying sound inspirational I think,

There a lot of attention just now to Mindfulness and I think that does the same message without the smugness Back in the 1960's/70's we called it Being Here Now, (famous book by Ram Dass).

Her list of sweet experiences might do it for you. She may help you to pay more attention to the pleasure of a sunny day, a pleasant walk, a good meal etc etc.
Or she may irritate you with how lucky she has been all her life.
One person found this helpful
on 18 December 2017
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a book that is too cloying to read all in one go.

But it is beautiful and I love it.

I find myself energised after a page or so because it takes me out of myself and into the girl I used to be who still saw possibility and magic in life. It's always on my desk and I make point to flick to a random page every day.

Some reviewers are saying the author is self-indulgent but the introduction says the book is a fantasy. Don't get caught up in whether or not the author actually experiences all the sweetness in this book, just enjoy the fact that she's reminding you it's within easy reach.
VINE VOICEon 10 December 2017
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was a bit of a disappointment for me to read. It seemed to offer a lot in the blurb and the fact that it was written by a successful anthropologist, I was hoping that it was going to be good. It's a slim volume and based very much on the writer's charmed life and success. She focuses on things that bring sweetness in her life and examines them to a degree, but mainly as listed items. There is little structure or depth for it to carry any weight. I found it a little tedious to read to be honest.
VINE VOICEon 30 June 2016
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I’m going to have to stick my hand up on this one and say it wasn’t for me. That perhaps makes it difficult to review in a fair way…. and that perhaps makes me feel guilty over what may be an enriching experience to some people. I found the somewhat brief text lacked direction as I moved through it page by page. This is a nice idea, and perhaps I tackled it in the wrong way (perhaps dipping in and out would have been better?). Not the normal text I would read and it will certainly have its niche, with a readership that likes the idea. This may be a book I revisit – but for now perhaps it was the wrong book at the wrong time.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 29 June 2015
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A slender and brief text, this is a whistlestop race through the need to take time. One can ask, quite rightly, why rush taking your time? It's a valid point. Without structure, as such, it's a meander, a somewhat unfocused walk, and focuses on a somewhat abstract (at times) list of things : there's little about the practicalities of enjoying the sweetness of life, the rush of wind in your hair (if you have any), the age of time, and the importance of tea. I was hoping this would.. expand my mind, but is too brief, too short, and too.. random, to really be able to apply as a regular text around how to enjoy the world we live in.
on 5 October 2016
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really disliked this book. It grated on me to the point where it made me pretty cross. I found it to be smug, self indulgent and insincere...almost fishing for praise and admiration of the author. It reminded me of the reasons I deleted my profile on a particular social networking site as I can't stand narcissism and showing off, both of which were in abundance in this chore of a book.
VINE VOICEon 24 July 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What a beautiful book, an absolute joy to read. You find yourself mentally agreeing with so many of the simple pleasures listed here....things you probably never even gave a second thought to but which when you do think about it are indeed little things that make life beautiful. A nice book to read when you're feeling down, to remind you that it's not all bad, and also gives rise to journal prompts too which is a nice unexpected perk.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 7 January 2016
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is short and sweet and a reminder that we should savour the small pleasures in life. Rather than reading it from cover to cover, you could just flick to a random page and get a sense of the author's exuberant enjoyment of a variety of life's pleasures. An unusual and thought-provoking read that reminds us that life is precious and to be enjoyed
VINE VOICEon 7 January 2018
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The idea is not a bad one but this would have worked better as a short story of 5 pages. It is just a list of stuff and it feels endless once you get past the 20th page.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 August 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Unlike some other I didn't HATE this but neither did I like it.

I liked the premis of it - yes we only have a short time on this earth and we need to do things that fulfil our soul and makes us happy etc - I just didn't like the execution of the book. I found it too pretentious, laboured, dull, stream-of-conscious even at times.

Maybe it loses something in translation?