on 2 February 2014
As soon as I picked it up I was unable to put it down!
The story line will keep you on the edge of your seat, and I just wanted to read and read to see what was happening next.
What more can i say other than i really did enjoy this book. And look forward to reading more by this author.
What connects a contract killer, international terrorists and a single mother from Brighton?

Detective Sergeant Rob Steele is Sussex Police's only Firearms Positioning Forensics expert, a unusual and highly sought after skill. Rarely does he have to use those skills in Brighton, but when a body is found bearing all the hallmarks of a professional execution, Steele is brought in to run the investigation with his team, Karl, a small but bullish Scotsman with a genius for detective work, and Nat, a sharp, street-smart detective with complicated feelings for the widowed Steele.

What begins as a murder investigation, however, swiftly becomes far more complicated as MI6 become involved, and soon Steele and his MI6 counterpart, Merrington, are battling to hunt down a group of terrorists hell bent on turning Brighton into bloodbath of horrifying proportions.

Thus begins a race against time as Steele and his team fight for their very lives as they do everything in their power to prevent the worst from happening to the City they love. Thrown into the mix is an innocent young woman, caught up in events beyond her control as her life hangs by a thread, her only hope of survival the same officers already trying to prevent a terrorist plot.

Will they succeed, or will the terrorists achieve their goals and leave the police to pick up the pieces of a devastated city?

There's only one way to find out...

When Good Men Do Nothing twists, turns and pulls out the big guns. Strong characters, punchy dialogue and edge of your seat action combine to make this a book you literally won't be able to put down.
on 11 September 2014
Very enjoyable police action drama. I took to Rob Steele and Nat - very likeable although tough and practical. Merrington was a little too much of a superhero but with a little bit of pulling back he'd be excellent.

The scenes were well set and the action continuous and punchy, but with neat touches of everyday life and a glimpse of dark humour. I really did worry about Gemma - she was very sympathetically drawn.

Yes, I'll be reading more from this author.
on 5 September 2017
I read this book over a weekend and really enjoyed it. Paul Grzegorzek keeps the pace up from page 1
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 March 2014
Fantastic read. Great action, characters that you really care about. The author has created in Rob and his team police officers we want to know more about in further adventures. Paul please take heed!!!!!!!!!!. Absolutely no hesitation in giving this five stars.

Billy Cameron
on 27 November 2012
I am so pleased to have discovered this author. He writes with great authenticity - he used to be a serving police officer, I understand. I devoured his first in one sitting, and have just done the same again with this one.
on 13 November 2014
Fiction is just that, often needing a leap of faith of reality but to me it's a fine line between a way out there fiction story and one that is based in a basis of everyday reality. Both camps can work so well in their own right. The story for me does not fit in to either camp and that for me is a show-stopper. If it doesn't bother you and you look for something else then you may love this book as other's have.

I really enjoyed "Flare" by the same author so was hoping for more from this book.

This is my opinions only, others may think I am completely missing the point (and they'd have a point!!), but...

I wanted to enjoy this book, was encouraged by the cracking start but was left a bit empty by the wooden characters and at times what seemed to be unrealistic time line of events. The dialogue seemed to come across at times as trying to be smart quips and with little flesh on the bone, which is great used sparingly but that type of dialogue is too constant throughout for me.

This is very nitpicky of me, but I want to know the author has the little things researched and realistic to make the bigger parts of the plot semi-believable. Early on the back story on the main character is that prior to joining the police he spent four years in the British Army with the infantry, rose to the rank of Sergeant in that time (too impressive to be true?) and later we find out he spent 3 of those 4 years spent in the Army serving in Afghanistan escorting bomb disposal teams. That kind of timeline and career is too 'unique' to be realistic for me and seems lazy and pointless in terms of not researching how realistic this would be.

Later in the story the main character and his side kick from MI6 are blown up by a bomb, the main character apparently having suspected broken ribs, his sidekick left unconscious and bleeding from the ears. After a visit to the hospital the character is on his way back to work with his boss being told he can have the day off after he's written everything up for the dreaded paperwork.

Potential blast injuries are a complex old beast. He'd lost consciousness, was thrown several feet in to a concrete wall, left in considerable shock. Not to mention blast injuries can leave a lot of hidden damage (to lungs and brain), needing acute observations and tests in a hospital setting. Not being sent back to work the same day as the lead Detective where decision making, cognitive ability etc etc are kind of a "must have". And on a case of such serious crime(s), where MI6 and now Special Branch are so involved?

Maybe the British police really do work like that?? I don't know, but so hope not!! :-)

Escaping that blast wouldn't have taken from the story either, so the injuries and such a 'close shave' seemed unnecessary to make the point?

The next (or same?) day the character is sneaking up on a petty thief in the park, impressing his pretty, feisty female colleague officer by expertly disarming and restraining the thief after being attacked with a knife. Then with some old school copper rough talk and restraint gets the petty criminal to 'cough' or grass on some very dangerous other criminals. His 'several broken ribs' from the blast seemed to be forgotten.

I am nitpicking here, these are just examples of where the plot and characters started to fall apart for me. Without spoilers I don't want to carry on, but I found this book and stereotype characters (gruff police boss, pretty feisty female detective as the colleague, smooth saville row suited MI6 officer, main character too good to be true) a struggle to enjoy.
on 3 December 2012
Like the reviewers above I devoured this authors first book in one sitting. This one is better! Couldn't put it down...fast paced, well written in short chapters that keep you turning the pages. Even if you think you'll read just one more chapter you wont...your eyes just cant help reading the first line of the next chapter and then you're hooked.
Buy it...keep an evening free...and enjoy.
on 9 March 2013
I want to be clear from the start that the author of this book is a friend of mine.

When I was reading the book however, in several places I forgot all about who wrote it and was caught up in the story. This is a much better written book than the Follow, the improvement is immense in the space of one book. The secondary characters were well portrayed and felt more like real people. The passing details were well paced and often amusing. The mention of the aggressive pedestrian walking up the middle of the road towards the car, while only one sentance made that whole chapter for me.

I still found it hard to empathise with the main character, and I agree with a previous reviewer that he seemed very similar to the protaganist of The Follow. However he felt more fully fleshed and had more depth in this book.
The plot kept me guessing nearly all the way through and I found the ending more satisfying than I was expecting.
This is a good book, and I'll be buying and reading the next one a lot sooner.
on 11 February 2013
"When Good Men Do Nothing," UK crime writer Paul Grzegorzek's latest novel, opens with the blind date from hell, the secretive MI6, a pile of murders, a booby-trapped boat, government manipulation of the news and enough technical crime scene jargon to satisfy the most hardcore CSI fan.

And that's just in the first 100 pages. The rest of the novel fleshes out a terrorist conspiracy brought to light after an assassin goes on a killing spree.

As I noted in my review of Grzegorzek's fine debut, The Follow, the plot is framed by the author's experiences in UK law enforcement. They pad the story in this novel, too, lending an air of realism that can't be faked.

However, as anyone in law enforcement would tell you, that type of job consists of crushing boredom punctuated by brief bouts of terror. Fortunately, Grzegorzek wears his writer hat for most of "When Good Men Do Nothing." The chapters are short, the plot moves quickly, the action is constant and the mystery grows another leg whenever things look certain.

Outside of the terse plot, Grzegorzek continues the gruff cadence he introduced through Constable Gareth Bell in The Follow. Grzegorzek gives us Detective Sergeant Rob Steele this time around, although he's hardly different from Bell. There's the gallows humor, the rough treatment of low lifes, the air of invincibility and other similarities.

It had me wondering why Grzegorzek didn't just turn Bell into a recurring character. "When Good Men Do Nothing" could easily have been a prequel or sequel to The Follow, or at least been branded as part of a series within Grzegorzek's universe.

That's the writer in me thinking here. The reader enjoyed Grzegorzek's sense of dark humor, such as this passage from the beginning of chapter 18.

"Justin Evans was a cross between a garden gnome and something you'd wipe off your shoe before you got in the car."

I cracked a grin at that one and several others. It's part of the reason I enjoyed "When Good Men Do Nothing." I think you will, too.
on 2 December 2012
I really enjoyed Paul's first book, 'The Follow' and have been eagerly awaiting a sequel. Well, 'When Good Men Do Nothing' is a brilliantly exciting crime novel based in Brighton, but it isn't a sequel. But, like 'The Follow', it is impossible to put down until sleep overtakes you. Tension is maintained throughout as one unexpected turn follows another. It's been a year since the first book. I don't want to have to wait another year for the next one (please!)