on 17 December 2012
The book looked great at first, but both content and index are faulty look at page content XI. Then look at index and find a lot of wrong references
I want the book but not without proper indexing and content.Beginning HTML5 and CSS3: The Web Evolved
55 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 March 2013
I should state first that I was the tech reviewer for this book, so this review carries the risk of being biased, but I wanted to post a review to help spread the word. This book was a long time coming, but that time was well spent - the information contained in here represents some of the most thorough, well-researched writing on modern web technologies I have seen. The layout and animation chapters for example encompass over 160 pages between the two of them, with Oli Studholme covering every available property and function, along with lots of useful real world examples, and useful tricks and tactics you can use to solve various coding problems, some of them quite tricky.

I am very experienced with CSS3 and HTML5, but I still learned a lot, and I would advise that anyone wanting a detailed guide that they can refer to again and again should consider picking this up.
on 10 January 2014
Once I started reading the book, it gave a decent history of HTML5 but then dived right into the converting HTML4 to HTML5. Upon reading the product description I noticed this was for full web developers attempting to make the move from HTML4 to HTML5. I give this two stars due to the misleading title as when I type beginning HTML5 and CSS3 into amazon I expect books labelled as such are books for beginners. The title is innaccurate due to the fact novices cannot in fact begin HTML5 and CSS3 without learning html4 first.
on 21 February 2013
First off I was impressed by the size of the book. Most design and dev books now are small and not much more than a long form article so I was pleased to see a big book.

The content is very thorough. I don't consider myself a beginner and every chapter had something I didn't know in it. It was a great read, not too dense or technical at all but the writers still explained things in depth.

I would say pretty much everyone has something to learn from the book and it'll be a good reference too if you don't fancy reading it in one go.
on 22 February 2013
I don't usually do reviews, but I learned so much from this book that it deserved one from me. What I love about this book first and foremost is that it is well written, simple and easy to understand. To me that is the most important aspect of what I look for when learning new web modules and this book has it.

This book is fully loaded with new and upcoming techniques, HTML5 and CSS3 goodness, many illustrated examples and easy to follow tutorials. The book itself is chunky, has a good structure to it and isn't boring to read, which gives you the motivation and drive to learn more.

I highly recommend this book for all skill levels, if you are a beginner, it will take you on a journey from the ground up straight to professionalism. If you are an expert, you will be suprised in how much new stuff is in here, it sure opened my eyes to new techniques and tools. I will definately be using this book as a handy reference thats for sure.
on 26 March 2013
Although I have years of experience on front-end web development, I got my hands on this book after a colleague pointed it to me as a great resource to get up to date regarding web technologies.
This book is a collection of everything HTML5 and CSS3 brings, explained in a simple and casual tone. What surprised me the most was the breadth and depth of knowledge. Sections progress from explaining the basics using snippets of code and illustrations, to explaining every detail of new properties. Now that browsers are finally catching up with these technologies, the content of this book is not only up to date, it is ahead in some aspects. It finished off with an essay about... the future of CSS, CSS4.

All in all, if you're interested in certain aspects of HTML5 and CSS3 this book gives a good explanation about them and serves as a good reference book in the future.
on 4 June 2013
After coding HTML for around 6 years i thought i would see what the changes are in HTML5, looked for a easy explanation after reading reviews i bought this book.
i found it is not explained in laymans terms, perfect example is buy this book then buy Ian Lloyds book you will see the vast difference. This is a book for people who already are proficient in HTML/HTML5 dont bother If you are a beginner not good at all
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2014
I have quite a few coding how-to books on various languages, but this is the only one that doesn't at least start with an idiots guide to the simpler stuff ... I've built and run fairly simple html webs for over 20 years and I wanted to get a thorough refresher that started with demo's of properly structured basics and built a correctly developed knowledge of html5 from there - but this isn't it, this book assumes that you are already perhaps 80% of the way there and provides just the last step up. Lots of 'if you did that you should now do this' etc., but I didn't do that - I did simpler stuff, and this is not the bridge I need. Pity ...
on 12 March 2013
Whether you're just starting out in the world of web development or a seasoned HTML veteran this book has something for you.

It's packed with tips and techniques that will speed up your work flow or help you fix that issue that's had you scratching your head for hours on end.

Each section is broken down into easy to digest chunks so it's perfect to use as a reference if you don't fancy tackling it in one go.
on 24 June 2013
With the world of internet changing so fast, this book puts you into the right track regarding where web designing. Either you use the html 5 and CSS3 or soon you will be out of the game.