on 20 November 2017
I didn’t really understand the review of the person that used a gas stove to measure the carbon monoxide levels. Seems like that would be the test for a methane detector or a way to blow up your kitchen.
I didn’t fancy a face full of Pyrex so I opted for a test with tealights.
I lit some candles in a bowl and put a Pyrex dish over the top. After the oxygen had been exhausted the carbon monoxide reading gradually went up on on the monitor (not enough to set off the alarm though).
The product seems to function perfectly well.
Usual faultless service from amazon as expected.
review imagereview image
11 Comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 September 2017
The Kidde 7DCO Carbon Monoxide Alarm is well made, simple to operate, intuitive in its warnings and will last for ten years before needing to be replaced. The three AA alkaline cells should last more than a year at a time. The display and LEDs indicate and the beeper sounds when alarmed, or more likely when tested or if the batteries need to be changed, or eventually when the whole unit needs to be replaced at end of life. The two buttons allow for testing and resetting the various functions. Please remember that it is different from a Smoke Alarm.

The display in this 7DCO offers a very big advantage over the very similar 7CO (no display). The 7DCO shows the actual amount of CO in the air (if over 30ppm), and this is very significant because CO is an accumulative poison and continuous exposure to low levels can adversely affect ones health, also a presence could warn us about an ongoing fault developing in an appliance in the house before it becomes too dangerous. It also has a second button to press to show a peak level that might have happened previously, and this will show an event within the range 11-999 ppm. These features the display offers make it the obvious choice to buy.

The leaflet that comes with it is clear and unambiguous. It has a good explanation about the risks of CO, with a table showing how the different levels of poisoning affect us and what symptoms to watch out for. It also has clear instructions on safety, as well as on positioning it and its use. My sample was made on 28th Feb 2017 and should have a ten year life from installation today. See the Wiki for how the electrochemical detectors like this one work.

If there is anything combustible in the house, be it an open fire, gas cooker, or central heating boiler, then at least one of these Carbon Monoxide alarms should be fitted for the safety of ones family and oneself. It is simply stupid not to have one. We have had a series of CO detectors and alarms since they first became available, and this one replaces a Kidde 9CO-5UK that reached end of life. Our first in the 1980s was a one-time pad that changed colour, and it warned us the day after the previously OK old boiler was incorrectly serviced and damaged by a cowboy supposedly working for BG.

At the time of writing this review, this Kidde 7DCO is also a Which? Best Buy.
11 Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Sits near the stove and watches over me, day and night. The "maximum reading" storage is very useful in letting me know if the stove has been misbehaving while I have not been present. This item is stable enough to be moved around and positioned on any flat surface, it does not necessarily need screwing to the wall. This is one of my favourite household robots, given that I live on my boat and need to keep a check on CO levels. It has not, so far, screamed at me while I have the stove door open briefly for fire-building, refuelling or cleaning.
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 September 2014
Very easy to set up and just required a couple of screws in the wall as mounting points, this provides that vital confirmation that the silent, odourless killer, carbon monoxide, isn't present.

Having suffered from low level Carbon Monoxide poisoning thirty years ago as a child when the family gas fire was incorrectly serviced by a qualified engineer ( thankfully my parents called in another service engineer when suspicions were aroused as to why we all kept falling asleep and the carbon monoxide levels were still low) , I now need the reassurance of an alarm in the hopefully unlikely event that should similar should happen again, my own family will be alerted before lives are threatened.

Display will hopefully always confirm a zero reading . The one thing to be aware of is that you must follow the instructions carefully to ensure correct positioning.

Highly recommended.
on 2 July 2017
Arrived quickly via Prime. Well packaged complete with 3xduracell batteries. 10 Year warranty (you need to register product). Obviously I didn't read the full description, but as I saw it had a digital display, then it would be easier to tell when it was faulty, needs new batteries etc... This is still taken care of by the flashing lights, so you need to keep the instructions to refer to which sequence of flashing lights means what. It'd be nice if they have to do that system, they have one light for batteries, one for faults etc...
on 14 September 2014
The device has rather strict requirements for its location: not closer than 2m to the possible source of CO and not further away than 4m. It has also to be not close than 30cm to the ceiling. In a small kitchen it was difficult to find the place for it. I would suggest those requirements should be mentioned in the description of the product. It started working at once after I inserted the batteries.
on 26 March 2017
I have two of these mounted on the wall in my house. One in the bedroom hallway and one in the main hallway. They have never gone off but I test them occasionally. Every home should be obliged to have these. Don't delay - buy them right now. You could be saving a family member.
on 15 December 2017
We were having problems with our (brand new, freshly installed) gas fire the exhaust flue was defective and while waiting for the supplier to get and fit a replacement I became worried so bought this for peace of mind. It is a smart discrete unit that is easy to set up, just insert the supplied batteries. A tiny green light flashes every 30 seconds or so to reassure you that the unit is on and working. There is a test button for further reassurance that when pressed emits a deafening alarm.Thankfully I have no idea if it does it's job and hope I never will find out.
on 6 March 2018
A compact and functional device, with the added benefit of having replaceable batteries and a 10 year lifecycle. It seems to work as well, recording low levels of Carbon Monoxide on one occasion, prior to having the chimney swept, which gives me a good degree of confidence that the Kidde is not kidding me, but doing the job that it was bought for. Recommended by Which?, I have two, one to monitor my boiler/kitchen, and the other to monitor the open fire when used. They do give peace of mind, and the alarm is piercing. I figured that I would rather put my faith in a known brand than on some brand that I had never heard of .
on 30 November 2017
The alarm came properly packaged and probably for the first time every I was pleased to open the plastic package around the alarm as someone actually though about other people opening it.
The plastic was perforated and easy to open, no cuts or bruises and also no need to use scissors to open it, Greatly done!

The product itself looks fine and the alarm sound is clearly loud enough to get everyone's attention.
Can't say much about how long it will work as we just installed it