Customer reviews

1,806
Style: Carbon Monoxide Alarm|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 October 2016
What price safety? Carbon Monoxide (CO) is known as the silent killer. I’m sure we’ve all read or heard about tragic cases of people being killed (often in their sleep) from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

The Kidde 7DCO Carbon Monoxide Alarm was purchased to replace a previous CO alarm that had exceeded its 10 year life cycle. It’s very important to note the manufacturer life cycle information, and record date of installation accordingly. The sensor only has a finite lifespan (maximum 10 years, some are only 5)

I have used products from various manufacturers, and of course some are better than others. However, unlike a smoke alarm it’s very difficult to simulate fault conditions (CO levels etc), and you are reliant on the product doing just what it’s meant to do. Unfortunately, a little research will show that the market has been flooded with cheap unbranded CO alarms, and is something I steer well clear of. In fact, I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole. Consumer group exposes’ have shown that many of the cheaper CO alarms have false CE marks and accreditations, hence my choice of this brand.

You can count on one hand the manufacturers that (in my opinion) can be trusted, and of course Kidde are the world’s largest fire / safety manufacturer, having been around for 100 years.

This CO alarm is easy to install, with clear instructions as to siting, and operation etc. The device comes with a 10 years sensor warranty, with clear LCD display as well as the obvious loud siren. The device allows you to test, will also display a fault state, and has average CO level display function, which can give an early (before danger occurs) warning of higher than zero levels of CO.

This product arrived well packaged, and included the required 3 x AA (Duracell) batteries.

The detector alarm also has an end of life warning so you know (if you haven’t recorded it) when to change the alarm.

All in all, a great easy to install, well - constructed Carbon Monoxide alarm that provides confidence in protection against the silent killer. Highly recommended.

I hope that you have found this review helpful.
review image review image review image review image review image
Sits near the stove and watches over me, day and night. The "maximum reading" storage is very useful in letting me know if the stove has been misbehaving while I have not been present. This item is stable enough to be moved around and positioned on any flat surface, it does not necessarily need screwing to the wall. This is one of my favourite household robots, given that I live on my boat and need to keep a check on CO levels. It has not, so far, screamed at me while I have the stove door open briefly for fire-building, refuelling or cleaning.
Very easy to set up and just required a couple of screws in the wall as mounting points, this provides that vital confirmation that the silent, odourless killer, carbon monoxide, isn't present.

Having suffered from low level Carbon Monoxide poisoning thirty years ago as a child when the family gas fire was incorrectly serviced by a qualified engineer ( thankfully my parents called in another service engineer when suspicions were aroused as to why we all kept falling asleep and the carbon monoxide levels were still low) , I now need the reassurance of an alarm in the hopefully unlikely event that should similar should happen again, my own family will be alerted before lives are threatened.

Display will hopefully always confirm a zero reading . The one thing to be aware of is that you must follow the instructions carefully to ensure correct positioning.

Highly recommended.
on 14 September 2014
The device has rather strict requirements for its location: not closer than 2m to the possible source of CO and not further away than 4m. It has also to be not close than 30cm to the ceiling. In a small kitchen it was difficult to find the place for it. I would suggest those requirements should be mentioned in the description of the product. It started working at once after I inserted the batteries.
on 26 March 2017
I have two of these mounted on the wall in my house. One in the bedroom hallway and one in the main hallway. They have never gone off but I test them occasionally. Every home should be obliged to have these. Don't delay - buy them right now. You could be saving a family member.
on 2 July 2017
Arrived quickly via Prime. Well packaged complete with 3xduracell batteries. 10 Year warranty (you need to register product). Obviously I didn't read the full description, but as I saw it had a digital display, then it would be easier to tell when it was faulty, needs new batteries etc... This is still taken care of by the flashing lights, so you need to keep the instructions to refer to which sequence of flashing lights means what. It'd be nice if they have to do that system, they have one light for batteries, one for faults etc...
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2017
Never worked properly no matter what I tried. Just kept beeping, changed batteries, reset and followed instructions to no avail. Binned it.
on 15 March 2017
Item arrived well packaged and within time estimated. Does as it says on the tin - easy clear instructions.
on 8 April 2017
Bought to replace outdate carbon monoxide alarm in living room. Small enough to not be noticed in corner. Simple enough instructions with a clear display. Gives peace of mind.
on 2 June 2017
I haven't succumbed to CO poisoning yet so it must be working.
Seriously, it's kinda hard to review something like this when you hope it's never called into action!