TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 September 2016
I bought this Actifry to replace my old one. Although the design is exactly the same as its predecessor it looks even smarter in black with little details in bright green.

These things are so easy to use I'm amazed anyone would cook chips any other way; it's also much healthier, requiring only 14ml of oil. Many other foods can be cooked in this besides chips and a little recipe book does come with it, as well as an instruction manual and a measuring spoon for that small quantity of oil.

Apart from the economic and health benefits, the thing I most love about this is the lack of smell. Gone are those awful odours of cooking oil that seem to linger in the air long after you've not only cooked your chips, but eaten them and washed the greasy plates!

The removable parts of the machine – lid, metal bowl, paddle and filter – are dishwasher safe, which is always a real boon, especially for this sort of appliance.

A couple of things could have been improved in the eight or so years since I bought my first one:

1. The paddle, whilst dishwasher safe, is hollow and tends to gather small scraps of food
2. The timer is a bit daft in that the time can be increased but not decreased once started.
3. The controls are on the top, but at the back of the machine, which means leaning across to access them, and the buttons could perhaps be just a little bit bigger.

This is quite a heavy machine with most of the weight at the back of it, so if stored on a high shelf, as mine is, it does need careful handling. I always let mine cool right down before storing it. The outside also gets very hot, so keep it well away from small fingers.

I am really pleased with it and, apart from oven chips, this is my preferred way of cooking them. Oh – do try small, unpeeled, new potatoes in it. Delicious.
on 19 October 2015
From granola to risotto, chicken to salmon, mug cakes to muffins, I think I've tried to cook almost everything in my Actifry.
Apart from the already well known super chips (which I think are better if you use maris pipers potatoes, that I cut, drain, let dry for some seconds, put in the actifry for 10sec just to dry a little bit more, open again and put the oil, close and program for 30-45min, open at half way, just to take the vapour out, close again and let it finish) you can basically use your Actifry for almost everything else that you would put in a normal oven.
The recipes book, although very small, its a good starting point for you to start knowing what this machine can do for you and the rest, just be inventive. Most of the times you will need to take the paddle out, for instance when cooking fish fingers, hamburgers, cakes and muffins, basically, every time that you don't need things to be stir.

The only con, I have to say about this machine, is, if it was today, I would bought the latest one, Actifry 2 in 1, as you can use it to prepare a complete meal, all at the same time.
on 25 October 2016
We bought ours almost 3 years ago and used it regularly and all was well, even the chips tasted OK. The metal mesh tray proved extremely useful and if you buy one of these I'd recommend you get one as it allows you to cook the fragile foods that the paddle destroys. However, although we took it apart as suggested for cleaning we could never remove everything and then about a year ago it started to make horrendous noises when in use, similar to a lollipop stick stuck in a fan. We persevered as the cooker was very useful but then 3 weeks ago the heating element just caught fire. I happened to be in the same room when it did this so was able to blow the flames out but a bit disturbing to think what might have happened had I not been there. I did think of giving less stars but we did get virtually 3 years use out of it.
4 people found this helpful
on 18 January 2016
Home made potato wedges in 17 minutes, thats all I think I should say.
Yes there are health benefits from using less oil, as well as no oil steam/moisture/fat in the air when you want use any kind of lidless deep fryer.
Its handy when you want to cook Scampi, Fish Pieces, Chicken Nuggets, etc as well as Frozen Chips and if you take the time and effort to find the right potatoes, you do get crispy on the outside and fluffy and soft inside. For the latter it does require a bit of trial and error to find the right potatoes and also you need to pat dry the cut potato chip pieces to get the right texture and taste, yet it does pay dividends in terms of taste and health.
I will clearly state that the taste does depend on the type of potato and fried chips do taste nicer, however for skin on (our 5 year old boy won't even question the skin, now) spiced wedges , its awesome as well as for not needing to get the fryer out for frozen foods.
To use it properly you do need to put the frozen fish/chicken down rather than fling it in, yet the turning shovel bit , turns the food and as long as you have over filled it, all are turned well and do not break and crumble.
Its quick and for us, no oil fat in the air that means surfaces need to be wiped down.
on 25 October 2015
These make the best chips I think, with just a little oil. It's a bit of a drag drying the chips before they go into the actifry, as they have to be really dry, so I tend to par boil whole potatoes (I peel first, but you don't have to as would be good with skins on) but only par boil say for five minutes. Let them dry in the steam and cool off before you cut into chips. Also as they say best not to add garlic or herbs etc, I infuse garlic, salt, pepper and any herbs in some oil for quite a time, then put the oil through a strainer before I add to the chips. This makes very tasty chips which are scrumptious. Frozen are good as well, best I've found to be french fries. Must admit have not tried to cook anything else yet, just chips! Also easy to clean. I don't wash everytime, just wipe clean with kitchen towel. Easy.
on 15 January 2016
I love this acti fry I used it for the first time the other evening and I couldn't believe that the small amount of oil could cook the chips. It takes quite a while for the chips to cook about 20-25 mins for a portion for two people. The chips are delicious nice and dry and crispy and the great thing no oily smell around the home plus it's so easy to clean. The fryer is expensive but well worth it and much cheaper online than in the shops I saved almost £60 compared to Tesco and the recipe book included have some delicious recipes.
on 20 September 2017
I gave mine away to my son, it was ok for chips, but took so long, I much prefer to use the oven, chips are more crispy and take just the same time, a waste of money in my humble opinion. Anything else, like fish fingers etc. fell apart whilst cooking and the batter comes away from the fish. Use your oven and save some money
on 29 October 2015
My old one broke which was purchased in 2011. This one is better as the lid is plastic with a see through plastic at the front. My old one was the smaller size and I did have to replace the lid which was all see through this actifry does not seem that much bigger to me but the lid looks stronger than the completely see through lid I had before.
The actifry is brilliant if you have never had one just a spoonful of oil, the spoon comes with the actifry cut your chips, wedges and many other foods and I cook my potatoes 20 - 25 minutes as I like mine crispy. The only thing I can say is if you do sausages or long things they can break up as they are pushed round the cooker by the paddle when cooking. You can set the timer on this and leave it to cook itself once you are use to it as it will be safe then. There are no heat settings on the actifry it is all one temperature, once you have used one you will always want one.
One person found this helpful
on 2 April 2015
There have been a few criticisms of the frier but I bought mine after a recommendation and demonstration by my sister who already had one. Preparing the chips can be a bit tedious as they have to be fairly small, washed free of surface starch and then dried. I would recommend weighing your chips before frying to get an approximate cooking time from the manual but I expect not to need this with experience. The chips were well cooked, tasty and not soaked in fat. Probably as healthy a way of eating chips and you could have.

If you are single there are similar lower capacity models which are also cheaper. Ours easily provided enough chips for three to four people depending upon how many you want. Recommended purchase.
on 24 February 2016
We have had this in use now for some time, we have cooked chips, chicken wings etc, I was nervous in trying the chicken wings due to the strain on the motor and some reviews that shared where the mechanism failed, ours touch wood has been running for over 12 months and all ok, a batch of chips is about 30 mins, sounds long but by the time you have prepared everything else then your chips are ready and easy to clean after, and yes it only uses a very small amount of oil in the container provided, (about a tablespoon) you can use flavoured oils but use good potatoes and the taste and flavour surprises many.
One person found this helpful