Format: DVD|Change

on 10 June 2014
You will either like the story or not depending on whether you like the way Rushdie writes, but you cannot argue with the way the film is shot - it is truly beautiful and does seem to capture an essence of India
A colourful account of India's passage into independence in the middle of the 20th Century concentrating on the children who were born on the eve of independence who shared a special spiritual connection. It gives an insight into the problems encountered at that time - not a mainstream film but very good because of it's historical relevance
on 7 June 2013
There's just so much that can fit into a film of about 2.5 hours, but this works well. As a film, it's excellent, though perhaps one does need to know something of India's recent history, to appreciate much of the story. It reminds me of my family's sadness at leaving the new, and smaller, Independent India, of the many family friends from India and Pakistan who came to visit, of the stories of the good times they and my parents shared. The film is truly evocative of an India in the convulsions of birth and adolescence. All that's missing is the scent of the country.

This film is special. So, separately for the different medium, is the book. See the film; read the book. Be inspired by both.

Thank you Mr Rushdie-gi.
on 11 August 2013
This is not a Bollywood-film, this is a fantastic film based on the book by Salman Rushdi.
The setting is the partition of the Old India into India, Pakistan and eventually Bangladesh.
The story concerns a family afflicted by these events in their everyday life.
I was captivated by the story and was sad when it ended.
on 14 May 2013
I know the book has won many awards, but was put off by anecdotes that it was hard to read. So, when I discovered the film for rent on itunes, I thought I would ease myself into the story with the film first. I really liked this film and am now enthused to read the book in order to learn more about this wonderful and intriguing story - books are nearly always better than the film so I'm looking forward to reading the book!!
on 21 June 2013
This is an interesting story, a mixture of fact and fantasy. It is well acted and beautifully shot. It is a film that can be watched several times.
on 23 October 2014
A REALLY GOOD FILM,SAW VARIOUS REVIEWS IN THE PRESS, HENCE MY BUYING THIS. IT IS NOT NORMALLY THE SORT OF FILM THAT WOULD INTEREST ME, BUT IT WAS ONE I WOULD WATCH AGAIN AND WOULD CERTAINLY RECCOMMEND.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 December 2013
Salman Rushdie, what a storyteller! Deepa Mehta, what a glorious director! What a beautiful, bold, brave, fantastic, stunning adaptation from "Midnight's Children", a book made for glorious Technicolor! More than 2 hours long, and a bit slow-moving at times, but I found the film fascinating and fantastic, a healthy mix of historic reality (including Bangladesh's 1971 independence war and the 1970s state of emergency under Indira Gandhi) and fantasy (power to smell love and baskets of invisibility, anyone?), it is indeed a spectacular cinematic experience. I heard a few opinions that the film is somewhat excessive and contains a lot of unnecessary material. But this is India how I always, always imagined it. And I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

The actors are marvellous and blend together really well, the twists of the story are wonderful, the Booker Prize-winning work was thought absolutely unfilmable. And it took Salman Rushdie himself to carefully adapt the book for the big screen and provide a voiceover.

"Midnight's Children" the film is compelling and complex and perhaps too long, but ultimately a brilliant burst of colours and fascinating characters and simply a great saga.

Not for everybody, but if it sounds like your cup of [the best flavour Chai] tea, you will thoroughly enjoy it!
on 18 November 2014
Transfering Midnight's Children to the screen must have given everyone involved in this production a lot of work, indeed. The final result is honest to the author's first idea and the director did an excellent job with the actors and the sequences.
on 9 April 2014
We'd seen a trailer for this on another DVD we have and I was fascinated by it. So I bought it and finally managed to persuade my husband to watch it one evening. However we found it dull and not as gloriously dramatic and colourful as the trailer. In fact he went to bed before the end as he was so bored and I followed him soon after as I realised I wasn't that bothered about the end either! Might watch the end some other time but then it will be going to the charity shop!