Phil Spector' of course was one of the best-known music names of the 60's
producing some of the great groups and well cherished sounds from back
then.
Must admit, I chose this 2-CD set because it had the sounds I remember from
the girl-groups produced by 'Phil Spector' with the bonus of a Christmas disc,
as apposed to a similar album with a similar line-up of numbers as are on disc
two of this release....plus the fact this release is a few pennies cheaper than the
'Wall of Sound' release,
Some of the great memories from those days on board are...,..'The Ronettes'
with numbers such as ...'Be My Baby'....'Baby I Love You'.....'Walking in the Rain'
and ...'The Best Part of Breaking Up'.......'The Crystals' with favourites such as
'Then He Kissed Me'....'He's A Rebel'....'He's Sure the Boy I Love'... 'Uptown'
and....'There's no other Like my Baby'....'Darlene Love'....'(Today I Met) The Boy
I'm gonna Marry'....'Wait Til' my Bobby gets Home'....'A Fine, Fine Boy'....can't
remember 'Darlene's songs breaking into the UK charts, however she did have
three or four 'Billboard' hits three of which I've listed.
There are also songs from 'Bob.B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans' 'The Treasures'
'The Alley Cats' and 'The Modern Folk Quartet' ( I Know one or two of the songs
by the last three artists mentioned, can't remember them charting in the U,K though.
I primarily purchased the item for 'Crystals' and 'Ronettes'
Of course with this release there is the bonus of Christmas songs that of course can
be dug out to play during the festive season. (xmas songs from the cast-list of the 2nd
disc, along with 'Phil Spector' and the artists singing a version of the age-old classic
Christmas Carol.....'Silent Night'
44 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2014
This is a very enjoyable Christmas album that until the last track, avoids the cheesy stuff that annoyingly seems to find it's way on to every Christmas record. That track, "Silent Night", is Phil Spector delivering his own message in spoken form that for me spoils the rest of the album - hence only four stars. If only Spector had given "Silent Night" to The Ronetts or The Crystals or Darlene Love to give us another quality seasonal number, then this Christmas album would be truly great.

The above caveat aside the only other change that I would have made is to make the album an all female affair. The Ronetts, The Crystals and Darlene Love - all teenagers at the time - give superb performances that hit the right seasonal note, and thankfully all avoid the usual mistake of being too earnest, sincere or cheesy. In fact, the only cheesy contribution comes from Mr Spector, and of all the tracks on the album, I urge you to avoid it. Spector would have served the album better if he had given "Silent Night" to the girls mentioned above. Bob B Soxx has a couple of songs that don't do it for me, which is why I would have preferred an all girl album.

As my title suggests this is an almost perfect retro Christmas celebration that is just a joy to listen too, not so retro as to be irrelevant, but retro enough to give that glow of innocent times experienced long ago.
on 30 March 2017
Look, I know about Phil Spector, but please put his name back on the cover, it's insulting to think that people won't buy this album just because he produced it. I grew up with this album and it's just not Christmas without it. Hell I'd listen to this all year round if I could get away with it as the music is that good. Nice to have the songs on heavy weight vinyl too.
I was brought up listening to all the artists on this cd and this one was rolled out every christams on. . . .cassette! God I'm getting old :(

I love this cd and cannot believe I hadn't bought it before now. Every song on it is a classic and I'm guessing everyone on the planet knows them or should! As has been said in previous reviews the Phil Spector wall of sound was put to great use here. You've got The Crystals (who I'm going to see in March this year!), Darlene Love and the Ronettes in your living room here. . .for christmas! Sleigh bells, amazing harmonies and that christmassy feeling, what more could you want? Brilliant stuff. A must have!
on 4 March 2017
Loved this cd, my dad brought me the orig Vinal record when I was a toddler and I'm now bringing my toddler up with the same Xmas album
on 27 August 2017
Love this type.of music added to my collection
on 15 June 2017
Having damaged my original cassette this replacement is a must for Christmas time in your van.
on 14 April 2017
Fabulous 'wall of sound' Christmas music from the master.
on 17 December 2016
This is a replacement for a tape that was worn out from years of use. Love the songs and the sound is great.
on 30 July 2017