Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.99

on 4 February 2017
Nanny Ogg's Cookbook a discworld book by Terry Pratchett arrived on time and in great condition in a sealed platic envelope, for a second hand book i cant believe the condition its like a brand new book, I loved this book when it was first published and loved the recipes, but i lent my copy to friend who lost the copy and never replaced it, so when i saw this advertised for such a great price i had to buy it, and im not lending to anyone this time !!! I love the recipes and the whole book is a great fun read, i think that every kitchen should have a copy. the book is full of great recipes and will keep you amused all through the book, and Nanny Ogg's commentary on different aspects of ettiquete are brilliant and all the notes from Discworld characters are so funny and they make the book an authentic Discworld book as if published in Ankh-Morpek. I would recommend to anyone Nanny Ogg's cookbook is an alternative to normal household management and recipe books ie Mrs beeton and the Klatchian Curry was a real success and so are the sheep eyes, I have ordered another copy for my cousin whos getting married next year as its such a great book for young couples setting up home togeher 5 stars
on 10 April 2017
Enjoyed this book, have tried some of the less "and exotic" recipies... nice gift
on 26 March 2017
arrived on time and is as advertised
on 3 December 2016
cracking
on 29 March 2017
Actually made me laugh out loud, which doesn't usually happen with a cook book. Bit nervous about trying the recipes, but they won't actually kill me. Right?
on 11 February 2013
I bought 2 copies for gifts (all Disc World fanboys) & they hooted the whole way through. I borrowed one from my son to read and promptly left it at my daughter's hair salon, 145 miles away. She has retrieved it for me (applause) but alas we are not yet reunited. I am looking forward to getting it back and laughing so hard I shake the cat from my lap. Do not think I will actually bake any Ogg recipes.;)
on 9 January 2015
Love this book! It is brilliant! If you don't already have this buy it now!!
on 11 December 2001
To all you Discworld fans out there- don't be
discouraged from buying this book because it's
a cooking book.There are lots of illustrations by Paul Kidby- this guy is AMAZING. My favorite is a drawing of Nanny and Casanuda looking very guilty under Granny's scrutinizing gaze. If you look at Nanny's dress hard enough you'll see why... ;)
Half of this book is recipes including strawberry wobbler(you figure it out...) Rincewind's recipe for...er... potatoes, Vetinari's recipe for bread and water (not as simple as it sounds!) and the Bursar's recipe for "spoon! give it a royster!" (aka dried frog pills). we finally learn what a figgin is and how to make it.
there are many other recipes some real, some not
all of them great.
the second half is all about etiquette.
etiquette with witches,wizards,dwarfs,trolls,
kings,dukes and scarecrows.tips on courtship, weddings, etc. etc.
BUY THIS BOOK! trust me, you will not regret it!
VINE VOICEon 25 September 2007
I laughed myself silly reading this; it is VERY funny. Cookery books are not usually humorous reading, but this one is a corker. I am looking forward to trying the recipes (especially the Dwarf bread and battle scones), and think they look perfectly do-able.
If you own a copy of 'The Joye of Snacks', and can bring it out into the open without it spontaneously combusting, you probably don't need this book.
If you are a fan of the Disk World and Nanny Ogg, you definitely do need this book - it is a true classic of a type never before (or since) seen.
The advice in the back of the book is also hilarious and entirely true in all respects - I would recommend this book for any about-to-be-married couple; they will cherish it.

Update on my review:
Since buying the book, I've had a go at a number of the recipes and they do work and have proved very popular with my family. Also, if you promise not to tell Nanny Ogg, I'll let you into a little secret ... many of the recipes can be adapted to suit vegetarians. The Klatchian curry using quorn instead of chicken was delicious; the Slumpie worked very well with quorn mince and the Gumbo was excellent without anything that had been dredged out of the bottom of a swamp. I haven't yet plucked up courage to try the Distressed Pudding ... watch this space!
22 Comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2009
I have had my copy of this book for some years now and am seriously considering buying another copy as mine is rather the worse for wear. I have made quite a few of the recipes and frequently dip in to it for a giggle. My favourite proper recipes are strawberry wobbler which is either a tasty mousse or an obscene gesture depending on your choice of presentation. A tip though the first time I made it I used canned cream which separated out a little during setting and made it even ruder looking!!! Seldom Buckets favourite snack is extremely tasty and you cant go wrong with Nanny Oggs's perfectly innocent porridge with completely inoffensive honey mixture which shouldn't make anyone's wife laugh.
The recipe for Bloody Stupid Johnson's individual fruit pie is one I have not tried yet but it sounds like a hearty snack full of your five a day (at least).
The only fault with this book is the binding isn't up to the number of times you will dip into it and of course holding it open while following the recipes.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse