on 14 March 2014
Five stars for looks, one star for quality, so averages out at three starts.

I have owned this kettle for exactly 13 months, and it has had average use. Its never left my kitchen. This week the hinge of the pop-up lid snapped, and the lid is now loose. Only way to use the kettle is to keep the lid jammed closed. Which makes refilling it very difficult. The kettle should last longer than 13 months. But I cant return it as Amazon says the returns period has expired.
1414 Comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 January 2018
This kettle really is metallic and not just a metallic coating applied onto plastic like many other kettles which look metallic on the photo but are actually just plastic.

It boils very quickly, the cord is thick yet a bit flexible, the on/off switch sounds and feels very robust and the blue light looks sophisticated rather than tacky. The flip lid might not open as much as I'd like it to but neither has it broken or failed

It's very solid and after having had one for some 3 years now I can say it's easy to keep clean too. The black plastic has never scratched, neither has the brushed aluminium looking finish, so it's still looking as good as new.

I've had badly designed kettles before which are hard to clean and accumulate water which begins to rust or damage the finish. If you're a well programmed consumer you'll change your kettle every year as fashions come and go so this might not be a problem. But if you like to buy quality that lasts then the deep cleaning issue is important so it's as good as new a few years down the line.

An example tends to be where the outer walls drop down to meet the base, water droplets can carry dirt in there which can make it unsightly and eventually undermine the finish or rust it from behind, something I have seen on other kettles I have owned in the past.

The water filter is the standard BRITA type which I also use in a filter jug. I have never used the button/display/counter thing which is embedded in these BRITA products, I think it just counts down 4 weeks until you're supposed to pay them more money for another new filter. It's a flawed logic as the filter would be replaced according to volume of water filtered rather than time passed. If you made 1 cuppa a day it would last months.

I now own two, one in my house, one in my office.
on 30 August 2017
This was my second one. The first lasted over a year. I guess we have all become brainwashed into expecting kettles to breakdown after a year - kind of inbuilt mechanism to make us buy more...

Anyways... first one the lid locking mechanism failed so got this one Middle of March. By end of August it had fallen apart inside, and this was stopping the lid from working so now need to buy another one.... but it won;t be one of these that's for sure, it;s clear they are not quality
on 12 November 2017
There are things about this kettle that we like and a couple we don't. The price of the filters should be included on the adverts for this object. They are expensive and when you purchase the kettle you do not know how long they are going to last. The light when the kettle is on is not light enough. In fact it can hardly be seen. The marking donating the amount in the kettle are not very plain. The kettle is a nice design. The lid opens nice and wide and it also pours very well and spills nothing. This is the fist complaint i have ever had with your company. Not the first time i have used it or the last.
on 8 December 2017
We have high like scale levels in our area and the tea had a strange metallic taste to it. We bought this kettle and the difference was amazing we have never looked back. Once you put the water in the top it only takes a minute to filter through. Being disabled I found it slightly heavy to full with the filter inside so I leave it on the bench and use a small jug to fill it but it is well worth it and I would highly reccomend the kettle. It is also very pleasing to look at.
on 22 December 2015
So far so good with this kettle, having tried all the others that have a breville water filter built in, and having all the others break within 6 months and just domestic use!

Update 11-12-2017, so 3 months over the 2 year warranty and the original kettle decides its not going to switch itself off once boiling, first noticed when I entered a steam filled kitchen!! So, what do do? Buy another I guess but you do wonder if these manufacturers know the life of their products!! Based on this I have had to reduce my original star rating to 3 stars
on 18 March 2016
Lovely kettle! I wanted a kettle which had a measure on it to see how full the kettle is etc. This does the job and is lasting well considering how much use I've had out of it with a newborn requiring bottles constantly!
on 24 November 2014
No more tea or coffee tasting tainted from foul tasting Anglian water and lime scale scum sitting on top of the tea/coffee!

It is a little awkward filling the water up through the filter system but it's something I'm happy to put up with because of what I perceive to be poor quality tap water from Anglia water. It's also a little noisy, but I prefer this as it's an audible queue that it's boiling and finished boiling, it does over boil a little as well and is a bit heavy which has cost it a star.
44 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 January 2014
This is the first filter kettle that I've owned & it's fantastic. It seems good quality, is easy to use & has made my tea taste much nicer, even though I live in a "soft water" area.Filling up the filter container inside produces enough water for my small tea pot & I like the fact that it will start to boil immediately , without having to wait for the filtering to end. It is heavy though & I would not recommend it for anyone elderly or infirm ....(I am a qualified Nurse with Care of the Elderley experience.)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 July 2014
This was bought as a replacement for a Brita filter kettle which is no longer on the market. The Morphy Richards filter jug/kettle is much better looking than the Brita model and works extremely well.

I have only two criticisms:

1 the reservoir for unfiltered water is too small. If you need six cups of hot water you need to top up the reservoir at least three times.
2 the outside of the kettle gets very hot, probably exaggerated by the fact that it is stainless steel - beware!

Overall though I find this to be an excellent product.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse