VINE VOICEon 7 October 2012
Astro-imaging is a bit of a 'dark art' and you have to overcome a number of problems before any really decent results will be obtained. This book gives a very readable and in-depth account of how to overcome those problems. The advice given is clear, very clear, and is ideal for anyone starting out in this area of photography. In addition to the good advice there are 100 targets set out month by month. In short it is one of the best books on this subject that I have read. I have been imaging for only a short while and several things that I have noticed have been explained in this book and I now know what to do to improve. I cannot praise this book highly enough. Even seasoned imagers will gain something from it. I am so impressed with it that I think it should be sold with astronomy cameras, or even included in the purchase. Just brilliant!
on 27 March 2013
I thought it would be useful to have an electronic version of the paperback for when I went out with my telescope and camera and for that purpose it is fine. My only disappointment was that the photographs are in black and white. I suppose if you have the normal Kindle then that is OK but I view it on my Mac and iPad and much of the splendour and details of the objects are in their colour so it seems shortsighted that this has been rendered in B&W. This was further compounded by the fact that I recall no mention of this in the description - indeed the description is of the Book only - not of the Kindle version per se. Would I have bought it if I had known this? Probably not - as I have the paperback.
on 7 January 2011
This book was recommended to me by two of my astro buddies and I can see why.

The choice of targets are great, a mixture of the bright favourites, Messier Caldwell etc but also some lesser known objects which breaks up the usual run of the mill 'must image' targets.

There is a description of the object, size and location and tips on the best equipment/lenses to frame it correctly, plus helpful hints on how to process the image afterwards, all in all, a great little book *****!
on 14 October 2011
A brilliant referrence for new commers to mono ccd imaging. Well worth the money I paid and several of my friends who have seen it have also gone out and bought one.
on 19 March 2014
I have yet to try this book out for real, but the pictures are excellent.
So is the data given on telescope used and exposure details.
It give's one good ideas of what to image the whole year through, although some will need a very dark site.
on 18 January 2015
I've owned this a couple of years and still refer to it frequently, as the layout lets you know what interesting targets are in the sky now, and helps plan for those in the months ahead. Although aimed at CCD users I found this extremely useful when I only had a DSLR, letting me know what targets were possible and which to leave till I had a CCD. I found the advice on how different targets need to be processed differently a great help in planning a photo session, saving time in taking just the shots I need rather than the same method for everything approach.
Highly recommend to the beginner seeking new or more challenging objects, my only reservation being that this is written by a N Hemisphere observer so of more limited use to anyone in the S Hemisphere.
on 10 September 2013
Although I use a DSLR, this nice book gives you a decent guide on what to photograph in the sky by month from the well known to the obscure. It gives useful information about exposure length, size of field required and tips on processing each photo. Highly recommended if you are a reasonably experienced astrographer and want to go beyond the standard Andromeda shot.
on 9 April 2014
Clear description of the 100+ objects. Details useful for my plans to observe and image these objects. Would have liked a star chart with each description but its not essential
on 1 November 2011
This book is a great aid to those of you who have the equipment for imaging common astronomical objects, so setting you up for those objects that are more demanding.
on 2 March 2015
As described and quick delivery.