Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 17 April 2014
This is definitely one of the best looking anime films I have ever watched, just everything about the art direction, the music and the choice of shots really sells the sense of adventure the film has. However, quite a lot of the world feels very unexplained (which could be intentional, to be honest) and it didn't draw me into it quite as much as something from Studio Ghibli (maybe like Princess Mononoke did).
That being said, this is a fantastic film, and I would highly recommend it if you've seen any of Shinkai's other films and enjoyed them even a little bit.
on 26 March 2014
I don't normally write reviews, but considering there weren't any reviews yet for this film, I thought I outta make an effort just to help some people make their minds up on it. So don't be hating me if you think this review is rubbish, thanks.

This film may help you if a loved one has passed away, using themes I think from Buddhism about how we should accept death for what it is and carry on, experiencing the world for what it has to offer without them, as they themselves have become part of a bigger thing.

Reviewing the film, I found it copied scenarios from a lot of Studio Ghibli films. It's animated very much in their style, which is to say that it is very nicely and professionally drawn, with some amazing visuals, animated to that internal rhythm you sort of feel in Ghibli animations. I felt the story did become unfocused at parts, not making much sense, specially when they say that normal human beings have been to this place, but have apparently, and unexplained, somehow forgotten about it or just not made it known to the rest of civilisation. Ending was a bit bleh, but there are some good action scenes through-out.

Watch the film muted and you'll enjoy the 2 hours of visuals. With sound, and you might become more confused about what's going on than without sound playing is the best way I can summarise this film. So yeah, it's ok for die hard anime fans, for everyone else, you wouldn't be missing much if you did pass on this film.
on 18 September 2014
The film started off okay, but as it went on it began to feel more and more as though no real story was present. In truth, I only bought this film because I was reading up on Hollow Earth theory at the time as well as attempting to branch out from my love Ghibli. I was rather disappointed. This film reminded me quite a bit of Spirited Away in the sense that it is about an ordinary young girl suddenly being swept away into a weird and nonsensical world of monsters and magic, however unlike Spirited Away, Journey to Agartha seems to lose it's way until everything that happened seemed to be little more than a long stream of random events. Unless there was some underlying symbolism behind this film's progression that was unfortunately lost on me (which I admit is entirely likely and believable), I believe that this film had the potential to be great! Sadly, as it is the film will remain a mere curiosity, picked up by guys like me in an attempt to test the waters away from our beloved Miyazaki.
on 25 January 2015
This movie is as good as Ghibli. It has the feel and magic of Spirited away and I'd recommend it to any anime lover.

This movie will make you smile and cry with a strong message of life and death with a mix of romance and tragedy.

A movie happily watched multiple times
on 15 January 2015
A brilliant movie with stunning animation. The story starts a little slow but once it gets going it is great. I would definitely recommend this to fans of Studio Ghibli, Anime and good animated movies in general.
on 6 December 2013
A very good film with much of interest. As expected it is well drawn with a good story. Although I recommend it and thoroughly enjoyed it it failed to get a five star rating as it had no 'edge.' By this I mean that there was little tension or worry, no real heartbreaking moments, it was just a good story.
on 18 June 2014
Guys, I bought this with Wolf Children and all I can say is they are the best movies I have seen this year! This movie is amazing and is so creative its unbelievable. I 100% reccomend this movie to you if you cannot decide.
on 25 March 2013
I rate this for five stars simply because this is a breathtaking story - there is so much emotions poured into this movie. This is a lovely story of friendship and not wanting to be alone. While I do wish there was some romance, slight would have been fine, but I can see this movie was just fine without it. Plus while the ending may seem sad for me it really felt as if it was just the beginning.
on 11 June 2013
This film is of course absolutely gorgeous to look at, just like all films from Makoto Shinkai. The lighting is so... well, pretty. Some elements of the story we have seen in other fiction many times before but overall it's wonderfully creative and very moving. The ending might have felt a little bit rushed perhaps but this film should not be missed.

As for the DVD itself, I was disappointed that such an expensive copy came without a single bonus feature included on the disc. Would have loved to see a glimpse of some of the Making Of seeing as it's such a beautiful film... but oh well.
on 14 April 2014
This anime is well drawn and has a good plot, the DVD does have the adverts for other anime's on the front of the main video, kind of like in the old VCR days. I enjoyed it and will be watching it again.