TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 July 2014
I enjoyed reading this book and despite other readers' criticisms I had no difficulty keeping up up with the characters who were no more numerous than in many other books, just unfamiliarly named. The first person narrative gives it an intimacy I don't get in the straight narratives I prefer to read and is a welcome change although it means that the supporting cast of characters is less well defined. The plot is very much a one woman crusade with Maria Kallio convinced that she, alone, can solve the murder and get the accused off the hook. It may not be the most credible plot I have ever read but it rolls along at a good pace and the Finnish lifestyle details are interesting and so is easy to read.It's a good way to pass a few hours.
on 1 June 2013
The Kindle version of this was offered for £1.99. I have enjoyed several Scandinavian authors: Stieg Larsson, Jo Nesbo and Carin Gerhardsen etc. so thought I'd give this a try. I like to learn about different countries and cities through reading (mostly crime) fiction, but found little sense of place here. I was confused by the introduction of so many people with unfamiliar and often similar names. For example the murdered woman was Maria Kallio's 'boyfriend's brother-in-law's stepbrother's fiancee'!
I also struggled with the language. What does a 'poofy flowery dress' look like?
The story dragged on with lots of people I couldn't place and some pretty dire 'lovemaking'. It wasn't so bad I couldn't finish it but it came close.
I'm glad I only paid £1.99.
on 18 September 2016
Maria has left the police force and joined the legal profession. When she discovers the body of a friend's fiance and he is charged with the murder, Maria sets out to prove his innocence. Meanwhile her own domestic relationship is proving hard work. A gripping and emotional page turner.
June Finnigan - Writer
on 2 August 2013
This was my first reading of Leena Lehtolain, I enjoyed reading about Finland and by trying to pronounce the names of people and towns alike that I was in that country. Sad that it made me realise, once again that crime happens all over our world, cities, towns, villages. There was a truth about the way she writes, hard for me to put into words, refreshing in a way.
on 4 January 2018
Second book in Maria Kalio serial. Intriguing and thought provoking, hard to let go until the last page was done. Very enjoyable indeed, can't wait for the next one!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 August 2016
After only just about trying to finish (no pun intended) the first book in this series because of the bad translation, I'm not going to bother with the rest.
on 21 April 2017
another fine scandic novel
on 22 August 2014
I like stories in loving feisty, tule-breaking women who get results. And who are smart and also street-smart. I had narrowed down the murderer to 2, but couldn't decide between them.
on 22 January 2016
GREAT, I LEAVE IT TO YOU TO READ
on 3 June 2013
The story looked interesting but the writing is 'stilted' probably a poor translation. What more can I say I think I have said it all two more words required!