TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 May 2014
I have only recently discovered Julie Kagawa from her Iron Fey series (which is one of the best YA series' I have read) and can now say that she is definitely up there in my top 10 favourite authors after starting to read this Blood of Eden series as I have not been able to put the books down. I had recently been offered an arc of the third book in this series (The Forever Song (The Blood of Eden: Book 3)) by Harlequin and so I knew I would need to purchase and read the first two in the series before reading the third and I can honestly say my money has been well spent. I am already halfway through the third book in the series before I have even got around to writing this review and I am sneaking every chance I can get to read inbetween looking after my two little ones. If you are a fan already of Julie Kagawa, enjoy YA or dystopian style books then I think you would really enjoy this series and I can't recommend it enough.

The series continues after Allison has left Zeke and the rest of the human gang she joined during the first book (The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden: Book 1)) in the safety of Eden. Allison has started to follow her blood tie to find Kanin her sire and is following the path of destruction that Sarren has left in his wake when suddenly the blood tie splits and she is faced with a decision of which path to follow. Probably unsurprisingly she picks the wrong path which actually leads her to her blood brother Jackel (aka James who I absolutely love for some strange reason) and an unlikely truce is reached when they discover what Sarren's ultimate goal actually is and where he has gone to fulfil it - back to New Covington. Sarren has managed to unleash a new more deadlier version of red lung which also affects vampires should they feed from the infected and will wipe out the planet if allowed to be released further than the walls of New Covington. So will Allison and Jackel manage to free Kanin from Sarren's grasp and also stop the deadly new virus? Is there a cure for Red Lung and it's new strain?

I absolutely loved this book and have been grabbing it to read every chance I have had over the last 4 days as it has been non stop action from the very beginning. I love that Jackel appears to have come over to the good side but still retains his wickedness and the surprise addition to the story near the beginning and heartbreak at the end was unexpected and heart wrending. Julie Kagawa has once again drawn me into a series of hers and I am completely addicted - hook, line and sinker. As I said at the beginning of this review I am steaming ahead through the third book in the series which incidentally is the one that started all this late night reading and very very tired in the morning when getting up with my children madness but I simply want the madness to continue and not to end! What will I do when I finish the third book?!!! Another amazing series from Julie which I would highly recommend and darn you Harlequin/Mira Ink for tempting me into the darkness with just my head torch for support (I have to read of an evening with a head torch near enough under the covers as my newborn is sleeping in the same bedroom as me and my husband and she will wake up if I have the light on)!

Blood of Eden Series:-
1) The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden: Book 1)
2) The Eternity Cure
3) The Forever Song (The Blood of Eden: Book 3)
2 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2014
"It's hard to hold on to what made us human. It is easier to simply let go, to become the demon everyone sees in us."

The Eternity Cure is the 2nd book in the amazing Blood of Eden series following The Immortal Rules, and I couldn't get through it fast enough!

I love love love this series! Kagawa has created such an incredible world with her blend of paranormal and dystopia and I literally never want it to end!

The Eternity Cure picks up not long after the end of The Immortal Rules comes to a close and Allison is searching for her Sire, Kanin (who I just don't think we got enough of in the first book!) Along the way she gains an unlikely sidekick and although he's not even a little trustworthy and his motives are beyond questionable, he's hilarious. Him and Allison deal with all kinds of monsters and obstacles but no matter what it may be, he still manages to make a snide comment, a sarcastic remark or joke and I loved it!

"Now we're going to save a bunch of dirty meatsacks from a bunch of dirty cannibals? Why don't we rescue some orphaned kittens and put food out for stray puppies while we're at it?"

There's so much going on in this book and the action never stops with so many twists and turns along the way that I couldn't stop reading. Allie is still a badass and has to deal with Master Vampires, Rabids, Mole Men, a new strand of the Red Lung Virus and a psychotic scary vampire to name but a few! And she seems to head toward it all, brave and determined, staying true to herself. She's such a brilliant heroin!

"I was a monster who killed and preyed on human life; I could never escape that, but at least I could choose what kind of lives I took."

The final chapters were brutal and I have to say, if it hadn't been for the one tiny shred of hope that was left for me to cling to at the end, I may have written a seriously angry letter to Julia Kagawa for putting me through so much stress and worry. Yes- I got that involved. Her writing will do that to you.It's going to be an agonizing wait for the 3rd installment.

"This is what I am, I thought, walking forward to join them. This is where I belong, in the darkness. We're vampires. That's all we'll ever be."
on 23 April 2013
4.5 Stars

'The Eternity Cure', sequel to 'The Immortal Rules' is a very different book to it's predecessor. I found 'Rules' to be kind of a kick-a**, adrenaline fuelled road trip of a book with lots of suspense and tense action. The sequel however is much quieter in focus, and the action downplayed a lot, sometimes to the books detriment.

This book starts where the last one left off, with Allison hunting down Saaren, who is holding her sire Kanin captive. Much like last time, we follow Alison as she travels to other Vampire cities and experiences life beyond the protection of the wall. The focus this time though is much more on the characters, with many chapters simply being Allison and her travelling partners, which I won't reveal due to spoilers, talking and attempting to piece together information to help their hunt. I did like the sparring between a certain pair, and it helped inject a little comedy into what could have been more mundane travelling sections, but without Jebidiah's whole congregation to piece through in this book, the three characters here are given more pages to stand out.

In this entry, Kagawa takes the time to look at the backstories of a few of the characters and flesh them out a bit more. I can't say I was ever truly surprised by any of the reveals, as the author pretty much takes things where you expect them to go but I can't say I was disappointed by them either.

If I had any complaint's about this entry, it would be the action, or lack there of really. Number one had some great moments, but here, with Allison fighting through unimportant hordes of rabids, the action feels stunted, and half of it is just her swinging her katana and killing. There is no suspense, and it seems like the author isn't even really trying for any. There is also a character reveal early on which I won't go into, that feels kind of forced, like they were simply there for more drama to happen.

Overall though, a very worth follow up to one of the best YA books I have read lately.
One person found this helpful
on 22 June 2017
The series just keeps on giving and getting better with each new installment.

Initially I expected the book to be cliché in regards to the 'vampire' concept but I was pleasantly surprised - and hooked, line and sinker from the get go.

The writing style is simple but with enough flair to make me envious in comparison to my own.

A fantastic second book in the series; I can't wait to read the third.
on 30 May 2013
I loved the first book so, so much but I must say that this book is far better. The ins and outs have now been explained and we are delved into the plot a whole lot more. Throughout the book I was left feeling sad as we had departed with Zeke and Ally was now on her own. I did not know what to expect at all from this book. I was not left feeling disappointed and the ending left me feeling impatient and I was demanding to read the next book. I cannot wait that long. I need to know what happens now! I also liked this book a lot more as we get to see a bit more of Kanin and his background. I recommend this to fans of the first book and a great but different Vampire story!
on 25 January 2014
This is amazing and I'm gutted that I have to wait until April for the next book release. Usually I skip fight scenes in vamp books as I find them unnecessary and watered down but with this book there is a point to them, the descriptions are brutal and the reader had hope for every single one. The second book surpasses the first by a mile.
When I read the reviews, someone had put a spoiler without warning which almost made me not buy the book. Thankfully I still bought it and then found out the spoiler was wrong - Clearly they didn't read to the end!
You will love this book - read it!
on 23 August 2014
I brought the first book at a supermarket by me and I loved it so I thought I'd buy the second... Best choice! This book was truly amazing! On of the best books Iv brought in my life.
Allison is an amazing character and I can't get enough, her fight with the monster inside her is so grabbing that i couldn't put the book down! Then her relationship with humans is so sweet, and Jackal! Oh his sassieness is just hilarious, he had me laughing at bits that were intense! I will be reading these again when I have finished the last one :) they are so good iv lent the first and second to my best mate and he loves them just as much as me! He's almost finished the second and is waiting for me to finish the third so he can have it haha! Would recommend to anyone, who has a love for supernatural!
on 26 June 2014
The love story between Allie and and Zeke builds in this book. She also ends up working with Jackal , it's a strained partnership as you can imagine, but Jackal although bad is not all bad and the banter between them is good. Kanin's character is wise but tormented and more is revealed about his past. The ending left me distraught but I can't wait to read the next book, I really want starring to get what's coming to him.
on 14 September 2013
Ooooooh!! What an ending!

Sarren, I hope they kick your arse all the way to hell and back when they finally catch up with you!

As for the everyone else. Allie, nice to have you back. Jackal, I would never have guessed. Kanin, good to see you, too. Zeke, you poor, poor, human. And Stick, you were just an arse!

It was certainly an adventure. A compelling one at that! Looking forward to the next book in the series.
on 9 August 2013
I'm not a huge fan of young adult books, it's just thAt they tend to be so basic but I'm a fan of paranormal romance so often have to suck it up. The 1st book was passable just....and I hate to have an incomplete series under my belt so bought book 2.

I'm glad I did, a lot better, better character depth, better story thread, more violence, more romance and I find myself enjoying the series and looking forward to book 3!