Customer reviews

Java Design Pattern Essentials
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.49

on 23 April 2016
As my first look into design patterns was with a copy of "Head First Design Patterns" I was very happy when i received this book as an alternative.

The Head First series has always been difficult for me to read, the comic book strip like content doesn't put me in the frame of mind to learn, I don't care about Jimmy the criminal's story, or for pictures of 1950's housewives when im learning.

This book "Java Design Pattern Essentials - Second Edition" on the other hand is a condensed, clean and no nonsense intro to the Gang Of Four design patterns I had kept hearing about, and written with Java, which was a must for me, as the last thing I want when attempting to learn something is to do the C++ to Java conversion in my head, that's just one extra hurdle i try and avoid where possible.

The ONLY down vote I would give this book, and hence my 4 star review and not 5 star, is the amount of easily avoidable errors.

Just go to the main distributors website to see the Errata, there is more or less a mistake in what seems like every chapter. Which wasn't a big issue as the Java used is beginner level stuff, so most people will see the errors, but that's EXACTLY the point. If I can see these, why didn't they get picked up before printing?

I'm sure 5 or 10 people with MUCH MUCH MUCH more Java experience than me read this cover to cover before hand, but these errors still got into the print.

Its just a shame, as I have other books, much more technical than this, and 10 times the size with a fraction of the errors.

But despite this, don't be put off, its well worth the money if you want a clean, clear entry into Design Patterns

Good luck with your studies. :)
on 16 August 2016
Got this after starting the GoF original "Design patterns" book, realizing the potential but getting bogged down mentally translating the C++ into java. It's just the right size for a busy programmer, setting the scene and throwing the tools at you. I recognized 3 straight away from a colleague's designs - the abstract factory pattern by the way gives you a real insight into how to use collections and generics in java. Really useful. Some practical experience assumed.
on 28 March 2018
The code sections are double spaced and formatted as if it was in notepad. It's acceptable and far easier to navigate on Kindle than on a book

The paperback book version is excellent
on 22 September 2016
Very clear and helpful. Just the right length and the diagrams are useful. It is easy to over-complicate these conceptual ideas but this book doesn't make that mistake. Another reviewer said that more real-world examples would help. However each pattern is explained in the context of a simple class hierarchy based on cars and engine. I think that is example enough.
on 29 June 2015
Great book. Very concise with no padding or bloat.
on 22 August 2014
The good thing I could say about this book is that it provides UML and code example for every pattern. What is missing from my point of view is the reasoning behind each pattern. What design problem it should solve and why this specific solution was chosen.
2 people found this helpful
on 31 May 2015
Excellent book with simple explanations
on 30 September 2013
Excellent book with a lots of a real world examples. I throughly enjoyed it and using it all the time.
on 24 March 2013
I previously reviewed the first edition of this book and found it very good, and this second edition is even better. There are a couple of additional chapters now, including an easy to follow worked application that shows how to combine some of the more common patterns which nicely supplements the individual pattern chapters.

PROS
- Covers all 23 GoF patterns (not all books do this).
- Very simple and clear examples.
- Examples follow a common theme.
- Covers MVC and other useful patterns beyond GoF.
- Only assumes basic knowledge of Java.
- Useful appendix showing a "pattern on a page" for quick reference once you become familiar.
- The best patterns book for beginners that I have seen, and also useful for non-beginners.

CONS
- No one book on the subject can provide all the information you will ever need, so other resources/books may also be beneficial in learning different ways of applying patterns.
- Some minor typographical errors, although there is an errata page on the publisher's website.

Overall, I highly recommend this book. It is clearly and concisely written and covers a subject that all Java programmers should know and have on their bookshelf. There is also a C# version of the book by the same author.