on 27 February 2013
Let's be frank - It is not fair to compare modern authors with GMD's style of writing as unfortunately it passed away with him.

No one will be able to successfully recreate his language and so this booked should be judged at face value - not compared with the original Flashman.

Bearing this in mind and reading it with an open mind (although it is of course impossible not to completely draw similarities between the uncle and infamous nephew) this is a very well written and researched book - with plenty of flashy'esk escapes.

5 stars and definitely worth a read for all Flashman fans. Cannot wait until the next instalment
77 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2013
I read this immediately after the first in the series. That one had impressed me greatly but this one was even better! It is a rip roaring, rolicking adventure which I highly recommend. The author has created his own character 'Thomas Flashman' uncle of notorious Victorian hero/villan, 'Harry Flashman' immortalised originally in 'Tom Browns Schooldays' but more creatively by the excellent George McDonald Fraser. They are a must read and are the inspiration for Brightwells new series. He has given his character different qualities and a fast paced storyline to explore them. You feel you know him very quickly. I will eagerly anticipate 'Thomas Flashman 3' Well done again Mr Brightwell.
on 14 October 2014
Like all Flashman afficionados I approached this with some trepidation. I have to say that it took a little while to get used to but after a time I really enjoyed it. No it isn't as good as GMF but that's an unfair comparison for any writer, it is a very enjoyable read.

It has to fall within the restrictions of modern day political correctness and that does give it a slightly sterile feel and is a major part of it not getting 5 stars, perhaps unfair as that's not the writer's fault. Things like not using the N word because it's a touchy subject nowadays is now the accepted norm but it's like slavery, if we never talk about it, it won't mean it didn't happen. It's difficult to talk about this without sounding as if you approve of it but historical books should be as accurate as possible, even if it offends. Recounting something doesn't mean you approve of it.
on 23 January 2013
Well - I thoroughly enjoyed Flashman and the Seawolf , the 1st of the 'new' Flashman adventures - so had to try this the 2nd.

In my opinion this novel is better than the 1st in the series - and I gave that one 5 stars!

Set mainly in India it's a really enjoyable gallop through the history of the 2nd Mahratta wars - lead by our hero (or for hero substitute imposter/cad/bounder/coward/lecher - take your pick!) Actually Thomas Flashman is not as black a sheep as his better known nephew in my opinion - and I am getting to like him (though he'd drop you in it in a heartbeat).

Give this book a try - if you like history based fiction I'm sure you'll like this.

As I said in my review of the 1st novel - anyone brave enough to follow in GMFs footsteps and chronicle the exploits of another Flashman deserves to be read, at least once, for comparison purposes. I think that Robert Brightwell has now easily passed that point. In fact from now - I'll try to stop thinking in terms of the original Flashy and follow this one to see where he'll lead me (into trouble more than likely!) I can't wait for the next installment - and hope there are many more to follow.
My thanks Robert - and good luck!
on 5 July 2013
As you can tell by the name, i'm a great fan of Flashy. Also i'm a great fan of Sharpe (who briefly cameos here!) so this series of Napoleonic Flashman exploits is of great interest. It dosesn't disappoint. Although I found 'Seawolf' had a little trouble with the Flashman character, at times forgetting to look after his own skin and being rather too heroic, in 'Cobra' the Flashman genetics are fully expressed. In Cobra we have a Flashman who will unashamedly hide, cower, blubber and abandon his comrades when the going gets tough but is ready to womanise, boast and booze when he can get away with it. Despite all this the author succeeds in the same way as GMF to make the reader rather like the character.

In its own right this would be an entertaining read as a stand alone novel but it fits very well into the narrative so far and the attention to historical detail is excellent. An absolute bargain at the price too! More please Robert Brightwell, I am really looking forward to the hinted at Waterloo from both sides!
on 10 September 2014
Really enjoyed this book. It's the first of the newer flashman series that I've read but was every bit as good if not better than some of the original flashman books. The battle scenes are extremely well written and really draw you in and out is also very informative of the whole way of life in India during those times. Well definitely read more.
on 14 September 2013
The second outing for Thomas Flashman (after "Flashman and the Seawolf") and a more confident, relaxed work. Still thoroughly and well researched, and the hero is more likeable and less "wooden" than in the first book, but also not yet quite the joyous romp of the GMF original. Nonetheless, a good read that left me wanting more. Well done, sir!
on 30 January 2013
I read the Flashman novels during my teenage years and had never really visited India. The details in the book are accurate and describe the scenes and people in context. Flashman gets to India from France on a mission to warn the ruler of a plot against him, the British hope to get him on their side. Flassmans's adventures take him across India by boat, elephant, horse, palaquin, walking and running. The book has a lot of Flashman's humour and joi de vie. I am planning to read the whole set on my Kindle. Each screen turn made my journey to work less tedious. A must read for all armchair adventurers out there.
on 2 September 2013
Having read the Harry Flashman novels, I thought I would give Roert Brigtwelsl book a try .
Thomas Flashman is the uncle of Harry Flashman and just as cowardly and rougish as his nephew.
The historical content of the book was very informative and I found myself googling the internet for more details.
The authour is to be congratulated for buying these diaries from an internet auction site and saving them for the nation, lets hope there are more books in the future.
Brilliant
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2012
Another excellent book in what I hope will become a long series.

With GMF sadly unlikely to publish any further volumes, (unless an auction room in Leicestershire turns up a packet unexpectedly that is) I'm glad that a few authors are carrying the torch for the Flashman family and none are holding it higher than Mr Brightwell who obviously remains a hugely affectionate fan of the originals.

This volume is rather longer than `Flashman and the sea wolf' but is equally well researched and moves along at a cracking pace. The characters are well drawn and Thomas himself continues to develop into a more rounded individual although for all his protestations he still comes across as a little less of a coward than his more famous nephew.

Personally my favourite part of the tale is Thomas' induction into the ways of a highland regiment. Without giving too much away I'll just say that Mr Brightwell is obviously a big fan of the McAuslan stories as well.

Thank you Mr B and keep them coming please!