on 23 January 2015
A fabulous set of books detailing Mrs B's struggle to bring up her kids in difficult times, following the demise of her less than ideal husband.
The Mammy is the early years following Redser's passing.
The Chisellers is more about the kids growing up & developing their own personalities & aspirations for adulthood.
The Granny is the kids growing into adults, & their trials & tribulations while trying to make their own way. Also Agnes finally finding some happiness of her own.
Being a book, & not constrained by the half hour script format of his usual writing, Brendan has room to spread out & tell a story. & he's a master at this, not just the quick one-liners & farce of the TV series. This also means that the jokes & humorous situations aren't as quick-fire, but sometimes that gives them more impact as they come at you more unexpectedly.
The third book is billed as a book of hope, so I really wasn't ready for the ending, & didn't see it coming at all.
This set will have you laughing so hard your dentures will fall out & crying real tears in equal measures.
Though you can read them separately, I'd highly recommend you buy all 3. You won't want to put them down 'til you're done.
3 people found this helpful
on 26 January 2015
The final part of the trilogy and a perfect way to end it, albeit an ending I wasn't expecting.

This book is a lot darker than the first two books. Yes there is still the humour from the author, but the subject matter at times is difficult to read. As a fan of the TV series I see the characters as I'm reading the stories. Due to the subject matter, and in particular the ending, it was difficult to read because the characters weren't doing what I expected them to do based of the series.

I needed to remember constantly that the books were written first, the series followed after that, so obviously things change.

The trilogy is a testament to the authors writing ability, and I for one feel he has done an amazing job at bringing Agnes Browne and her family to life on the pages of these books.
on 24 December 2015
A wonderful conclusion to the trilogy that started superbly and, incredibly, got better and better.

I'm not a big fan of the TV series - it's OK - which put me off reading these books. A big mistake. There is plenty of humour, as you would expect, but there is so much more. The trials and tribulations of the family are real and captivating. Ok - you know things will come together, but that's fine. It's the journey of the characters in the book that is compelling.
on 20 March 2017
I have just finished the trilogy; I laughed, I cried and enjoyed every word of the books. Thank you Brendan and each member of your lovely family for the joy you bring us in all of your works - you are our National Treasure. May your joys be many and your sorrows be few. I look forward to whatever it is that you next throw at us.
on 24 January 2017
This was acutally more sad than happy or funny and while I don't mind some sadness, I just wish it had not been the way it was. Also one of my favourite characters was doing something really wrong and it upset me. I don't wnt to post spoilers but it isn't as funny or happy...
on 14 September 2016
Brilliant story. I love everything that Brendan writes. His characters are so funny and authentic. You can tell he really knows his characters. Very well written
One person found this helpful
on 23 August 2013
Brilliant book love all three of the Mrs Brown boys books . I never knew they where books till after I watched the show then I bought the first and to start with it was nothing like the show set in a different time however ever one there and Foleys but there are new characters there to for me the books tucks on your heartstrings with a few lol moments unlike the tv show which makes me cry with laughter but have no doubt you will love these books from page one to the last magic
on 26 July 2017
Absolutely brilliant,a truly wonderful ending to the trilogy.
I will not spoil it for other readers, except to say enjoy every page in this terrific book.
on 15 April 2017
Thoroughly enjoyable , gave new insight into our image of Mrs Brown and the family , some differences to TV family , but nevertheless an absorbing read.
on 10 August 2013
I could not put the book down. It tells a fantastic story about characters we have come to know through the previous books in the series. The characters are familiar to the TV series but not the same. We meet Browne boys we do not see in the TV series. Some have different futures than the TV series, and certainly the descriptions in the book of the characters is nothing like their appearance on TV. Brendan O'Carroll brilliantly weaves the story pulling your emotions in all directions. I am not exaggerating when I say this is one of the best books I have ever read. I recommend anyone to read the books about Agnes Browne.